Trailer brake control wiring non existent

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The stupid part would be trying to make it an upsell item but not even bothering to tell people.
Sponsored

Tailgunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2014 Camaro
I certainly couldn't find the wires in my XL 4x4 non tow package (8/2019). What are the 4 wires connected to? aren't the other ends of the 4 wires connected to 4 of the 7 pin harness on the rear bumper of the truck? why would non tow package vehicles have these wires under the dash if this were the case?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I certainly couldn't find the wires in my XL 4x4 non tow package (8/2019). What are the 4 wires connected to? aren't the other ends of the 4 wires connected to 4 of the 7 pin harness on the rear bumper of the truck? why would non tow package vehicles have these wires under the dash if this were the case?
The four and seven pin connectors have short pig tails that plug into another module that the wires under the dash are routed to. Are all the trucks without the wires late manufacture? Could be this is another change, like dropping a third of the bed tie downs.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have a build date of 9/23/19 and found the wires right away, taped up near the firewall. Each with a black plastic end cap. No tow package included, but I am having one installed. Now I just need to figure out which wires go to each color of the pigtail for my controller.
The four and seven pin connectors have short pig tails that plug into another module that the wires under the dash are routed to. Are all the trucks without the wires late manufacture? Could be this is another change, like dropping a third of the bed tie downs.
Mike,

It appears to only be the XL models as the post above indicates an XLT 4X2 with a bulid date of 9/23/19 had the wires and @MTB-BRUH 's XL was built before that since he indicates he put in his brake controller 4 months ago. I agree it was kind of idiotic to exclude the wires since you are putting in the other trim levels.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have a build date of 9/23/19 and found the wires right away, taped up near the firewall. Each with a black plastic end cap. No tow package included, but I am having one installed. Now I just need to figure out which wires go to each color of the pigtail for my controller.
@tombdmot What wires are what is covered in the sticky thread above about the brake control wires.

white - ground
Yellow/Red - 12 V power
Blue - Brake wire to Trailer/7 pin
violet/white - Brake Activator - Brake on/off

Last edited:

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Your post made me curious to look for my brake control wires. Here are pictures where mine were located Lariat without a tow package built 06/08/19. Found the wires neatly taped to another bundle with two strips of blue tape. The first picture I removed the lower piece of tape the top is still present. The 4 wires are bent back under the tape.

IMG_1977.jpg
My Lariat is exactly like this as well.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Here are a few diagrams I got from a Ford Technician. See the manufacturer's brake control plug is in the left-hand panel by the trailer module (See A1 on the grid)
IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

Attachments

Claudess

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ok, so there's a real easy way to fine the wire.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get one of those wire tracers that have a transmitter and receiver. They are usually used to find internet or phone wires in a house. Hook the transmitter to the BLUE trailer brake wire on the 7-plug in back. Tone under the dash. There will be a little bleeding of wires with weak sound, but when you are near the brake controller wire, the tone will get very loud.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I have an aug-19 build date XL and no pigtails. have switched over to the factory wiring harness with ford 4/7 pin connector and installed through cutout at rear bumper. so as far as i know all I have left to do is order the redarc, install and route the 12v wire with something such as
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/30a-circuit-breaker-kit

and then have someone identify the wires coming off the main loom that need to be tied into with the redarc unit?

OP
OP

AirborneRanger

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Cobra SCJ, 19 Ranger FX4
Occupation
11B4V
I have an aug-19 build date XL and no pigtails. have switched over to the factory wiring harness with ford 4/7 pin connector and installed through cutout at rear bumper. so as far as i know all I have left to do is order the redarc, install and route the 12v wire with something such as
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/30a-circuit-breaker-kit

and then have someone identify the wires coming off the main loom that need to be tied into with the redarc unit?
Well sh!t, if that's all it takes then I was worried for nothing. Please let us know if it all works out. Wiring is my kryptonite and I have been dreading the 7 pin installation

OP
OP

AirborneRanger

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Cobra SCJ, 19 Ranger FX4
Occupation
11B4V
Went to 2 different dealers today and confirmed that the XL models do come with the trailer brake control module. But neither dealer could figure out why the XLs dont have the 4 wires for an actual brake controller. If anyone knows what the "towing pack 1" consists of I would much appreciate it.

20191211_210753~2.jpg

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Towing package 1 is the bumper pull and 4 pin... every model has it :/ I believe they are full of sh!t in regards to the tbc module

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering if this is what differentiates the tow package 1 XL's we have and the XLTs and above with or without tow package 2... Ford parts and ford service route aren't turning out to be much help. Wish they didn't advertise left and right that your truck can tow 7500lbs with optional dealer installed equipment and then make it this much of a run around.

Screenshot_2019-12-28 Search Catalog Results for parts ford com.png

Tailgunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2014 Camaro
I am wondering if this is what differentiates the tow package 1 XL's we have and the XLTs and above with or without tow package 2... Ford parts and ford service route aren't turning out to be much help. Wish they didn't advertise left and right that your truck can tow 7500lbs with optional dealer installed equipment and then make it this much of a run around.

Screenshot_2019-12-28 Search Catalog Results for parts ford com.png
It seems that part is standard for all but the XL (even non tow package XLT and up) based on this and another thread. Any idea how difficult to install? the dealer wouldn't even give me a quote to have it installed because apparently nobody at my dealer knows anything about the Ranger yet they want me to send it in for a recall.
Sponsored