Your WD and Sway control of choice?

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I’ve been towing for years and when I finally stepped up to my 8.5x20’ enclosed trailer (7500lbs) I was lucky to find someone local selling their equalizer hitch. The ones with chains I’ve used in the past sucked because I couldn’t backup into a tight spot, always had to disconnect the sway control bar.

I like how it has WD and 4 pt sway control; side/side and up/down.
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

So that’s my personal favorite. A friend if mine uses the Andersen setup which achieves what the Equalizer does and is lighter. He swears by that as well. Both allow you to back up at a corner without disconnecting anything.

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx

What’s your WD and sway control of choice?
Sponsored

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I was torn between the Blue Ox Sway Pro and the Equalizer. I went with the Equalizer based based on the deal I received when I purchased the trailer not because I thought it was better. I did look at the Anderson as well. People who have them swear by them. Others and myself don’t think it does as good a job with weight distribution as the Blue Ox or Equalizer based on using chains vs solid bars. That’s my feeling and is not based in fact as I have never owned or tested an Anderson.

salmonfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 crew cab
I used an Equal-i-zer WD hitch when we owned a 27' travel trailer (had an F-150 in those days). In fact, I made installation (and fine tuning) of the hitch system a condition when purchasing the trailer as I wanted to be "road ready" driving off the dealer's lot. The TT we had was 4500 pounds dry and just over 6,000 pounds when loaded. The F-150 with that hitch system was a great match for the TT... we drove that thing all over the western US.

All i can say is, it worked... every time. It worked from day one to the day we sold the trailer to a young family and they rigged the hitch up to their GMC and drove it off. As far as I know its still working. I heard some people complain about their Equal-i-zer because it was noisy. I liked noisy... you could hear it working. A little lube once in a while helps with noise but it makes a mess when handling the bars, etc. Just use a pair of gloves and wrap the bars, hitch or whatever is greasy in some plastic... good to go.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm using the E2 hitch, its not a real expensive option, but it does what it needs to do.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I'm kind of stuck using a certain type.....trailer we have on order, a Jayco, uses an underslung type coupler, so I will be using a Blue Ox BXW1003. The head on the 2 types of WDH, for a regular and underslung couplers are different, and using the wrong type, while not dangerous at all, does affect the way the trailer "sits" on the hitch.
And, no one here minds bringing up an older thread and adding to it. New info is always welcome.

Last edited:

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
'21 XLT w 285/70/17 KO2's towing a Black Series HQ15 (loaded axle weight 6K) with a McHitch and Equalizer WD, plus Air Lift 5000 air bags.

Very happy with this setup - have towed 16K, mostly paved - lots of passes, twisties, grades, long hypnotizing straights; lots of narrow pothole ridden stretches (3K in Baja) where sudden course corrections can be required. No worries as long as things are hooked up (a quick test when new without the WD and air bags proved they substantially improve handling).

We typically drive <65mph, even in states where everyone can go much faster - but we're quick to pull over and let folks by whenever needed. No issues when being passed or encountering oncoming buses & big rigs. No issues with substantial (40mph+) side winds.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Curt 600/6000 with companion friction anti sway bar. Simple, inexpensive, and effective. I remove the anti sway bar when backing the trailer.

Curt MV Weight Distribution System Round Bar

*Edit: Sorry, didn't realize I was dusting off an old post...
No apologies needed. It's better to add to an existing thread so we can see the past posts and what's worked for them. Plus it saves us (mods) the trouble of finding the older threads and merging them. :D

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Going to through one more in the mix. I really like my Husky Centerline with the trunion straight bars and 4 point sway control. No having to unhook and remove a sway bar before backing or counting chain links when hooking up.

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
Anybody ever use a Hensley Hitch? Heard great things about them for sway, dont know how they are for WD. I know they aren't cheap, but supposed to perform like a fifth wheel. That sounds inviting because I have been towing 33-36' fifth wheels for 20 years. (Actually looked for anyone making a midsize fiver RV for my Ranger, but no luck so Im stuck with conventional tow.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Anybody ever use a Hensley Hitch? Heard great things about them for sway, dont know how they are for WD. I know they aren't cheap, but supposed to perform like a fifth wheel. That sounds inviting because I have been towing 33-36' fifth wheels for 20 years. (Actually looked for anyone making a midsize fiver RV for my Ranger, but no luck so Im stuck with conventional tow.
At some of the rv web sites I'm on, several have the Hensley set up, and love em...nothing bad to say about them, other than they are obscenely expensive. They apparently act as both weight and sway.
But for a savings of almost 3 grand, I'll stick with a regular WDH set up.

JGF

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, Super Crew FX4, Ruby Red
Occupation
Retired Boatbuilder, Volunteer Asst. Fire Chief
Andersen Hitch for us. Towing a 16 foot travel trailer, 3,300 lbs. loaded. The system has worked well for us. No porpoising over bumps. No sway issues. pretty quiet.
Do you still use and support your posting about the Andersen hitch? I'm considering the same for my camper, also 16ft and 3200 lbs loaded.

Thank you in advance!