dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Here's pic of my LOOOOOONG shank compared to your "Short Shanks" :crackup:

IMG_20230915_083727210_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230915_085633652.jpg
Very impressive shank, might be the longest of anyone who posts here. BTW - surprised no one noticed but I mistaking said my shank has 7 holes, it does but only if only counts the hole for the receiver pin.
Sponsored

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Nice setup Steve! WOW that is a long shank. Have a great safe trip.
Man, I'd hate to have my shank hanging in the breeze like that, I mean, it is almost dragging the ground!!

You should certainly make all the truckers green with envy when you pull up to the pump dragging that lengthy thing around.

:like::clap:

Seriously though, that thing is massive.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Man, I'd hate to have my shank hanging in the breeze like that, I mean, it is almost dragging the ground!!

You should certainly make all the truckers green with envy when you pull up to the pump dragging that lengthy thing around.

:like::clap:

Seriously though, that thing is massive.
Pic is a bit deceiving.....it' long, but doesn't come anywhere near the ground. Look close.....bottom of shank is higher than the link at rear of bars. Had to get long shank....hitch coupler on trailer is called a bottom coupler as it's welded to bottom of frame, which lowers the coupler, so hitch head has to go lower.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Pic is a bit deceiving.....it' long, but doesn't come anywhere near the ground. Look close.....bottom of shank is higher than the link at rear of bars. Had to get long shank....hitch coupler on trailer is called a bottom coupler as it's welded to bottom of frame, which lowers the coupler, so hitch head has to go lower.

Lol, I was just joking with ya @Grumpaw , it was a thinly veiled, juvenile, dick joke. :)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok looking for some sympathy or any comments, deragatory included. I am about to install my E2 roundbar hitch, I picked up my trailer 2 weeks back and towed it back to CO without the wdh and was passed by semis and felt very little sway the entire trip, luckily the trailer lined up perfectly for towing with the Ranger. I had a uhaul shank with a 2" ball, had to buy a 2 5/16" ball to fit the trailer. but the ball diameter is 1" to fit the uhaul shank. So the E2 wdh hitch needs a 1 - 1/4" bolt diameter, and says to use the proper bushing if using a 1" bolt diameter. I was planning on going on a 2 night trip tomorrow, I see the following options :
> use the uhaul shank again, sans wdh
> try to find a bushing to use the 1" bolt diameter ball
> buy yet another ball with 1 .25" bolt diameter
> cut my losses and sell the whole #$%# thing, by driving to Ohio to buy it I could probably make money on the sale.

This would have been all avoided if either Amazon or Walmart delivered on the wdh I ordered as they came with a pre-installed ball, but ran into a slew of ordering/delivery problems. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a 1.25" thread ball, they are $20 but what a pia. I know I know these things happen with RVs. Love the E2 installation manual saying 1" ok with proper bushing - but they don't include it, maybe a local RV shop might have the bushing ?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
First off, try not to use a one inch shank with a filler bushing.....it's still going to be a one inch rating. If at all possible use a proper 1 1/4 inch shank and a proper 2 5/8 inch ball. Even 2 5/8 inch balls have different ratings depending on if cast or forged.
The hitch and its's parts are something you don't want to try and save a few bucks on.
As far as using the U Haul shank....if it's just a simple drop 2 inch receiver shank, it may not be strong enough or rated for your rv...if it has a sticker on it, it should have its capacity and limits.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First off, try not to use a one inch shank with a filler bushing.....it's still going to be a one inch rating. If at all possible use a proper 1 1/4 inch shank and a proper 2 5/8 inch ball. Even 2 5/8 inch balls have different ratings depending on if cast or forged.
The hitch and its's parts are something you don't want to try and save a few bucks on.
As far as using the U Haul shank....if it's just a simple drop 2 inch receiver shank, it may not be strong enough or rated for your rv...if it has a sticker on it, it should have its capacity and limits.
Uhaul is rated to 6k lbs, I'll need to get a 1.25" diameter ball bolt to use the wdh, so thinking rationaly now I'll just pick one up tomorrow. Odd that e2 says a 1" diameter bolt can be used with a proper bushing but I do have a degree in engineering so completely agree it's not the way to go even if such a bushing is available. Thanks
Sponsored