First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
Does this actually do anything, if you are using an aftermarket brake controller ie Curt Echo?
Sponsored

Nomadjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm not entirely sure how the Ford version works but I know other manufacturers use the ABS system on the rear wheels of the tow vehicle to control sway. I think the one in the Ranger works only in case of emergency rather than continuously.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I'm not entirely sure how the Ford version works but I know other manufacturers use the ABS system on the rear wheels of the tow vehicle to control sway. I think the one in the Ranger works only in case of emergency rather than continuously.
This, it only kicks in when you get the truck/trailer out of shape. You will probably be crapping your pants before it kicks in.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
It won't care if you have a TBC or not since I'm sure it's designed to work with surge brakes or no brakes at all. It uses the brake system to stabilize sway, Hopefully before a crap yourself. moment, but that's better than nothing.

Even the Ford TBC isn't tied into the BCM in any way, as far as I know. The system is just looking for rotations.

pber01

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Anderson instructs to disable tow vehicle sway control when using their hitch so the two won’t get into a pissing match. Don’t know about other hitches that include sway control.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Does this actually do anything, if you are using an aftermarket brake controller ie Curt Echo?
Brake control has nothing to do as far as the sway control is concerned. But over the past 1 1/2 years of towing I have found that under windy conditions the factory sway control seems to fight the Blue OX WD hitch sway control. When windy it seems like the whole truck/trailer combo would seem to "jerk"...not drastically, but just enough to sense that they seemed to be "competing" with each other. I have since turned the factory sway control off when I tow, and just use the WD hitch and let it do it's job.
Using it and turning it off when towing is easy enough, while towing, to see what's best for your situation.
I'm referring to just regular driving/towing. In an emergency when the trailer seems to sway very badly, you can use JUST the brake control, by itself, to brake the trailer and straighten it out, getting rid of the sway.

OP
OP

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
Brake control has nothing to do as far as the sway control is concerned. But over the past 1 1/2 years of towing I have found that under windy conditions the factory sway control seems to fight the Blue OX WD hitch sway control. When windy it seems like the whole truck/trailer combo would seem to "jerk"...not drastically, but just enough to sense that they seemed to be "competing" with each other. I have since turned the factory sway control off when I tow, and just use the WD hitch and let it do it's job.
Using it and turning it off when towing is easy enough, while towing, to see what's best for your situation.
I'm referring to just regular driving/towing. In an emergency when the trailer seems to sway very badly, you can use JUST the brake control, by itself, to brake the trailer and straighten it out, getting rid of the sway.
This is just what I was describing in my earlier post about windy day towing.
Turned it off this weekend, and didn't notice the problem, but it wasn't windy.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
This is just what I was describing in my earlier post about windy day towing.
Turned it off this weekend, and didn't notice the problem, but it wasn't windy.
I thought you were trying to find out if a brake control, either the Ford, or any aftermarket, had any bering on sway and Ford sway control, or for that matter, any hitch set up with a sway control. Again, one has nothing to do with the other....2 completely different functions..
Almost all of the "sway" will come primarily from two causes.....
Either a high sided trailer, like a box or travel trailer being hit with wind, or loaded incorrectly, or in the case of a flatbed/equipment type trailer, it is loaded wrong.
Too much weight toward the rear of any trailer, behind the axle/s will cause sway very easily, as will a high sided trailer loaded wrong and/or hit by wind.
Other causes are improper trailer tire pressure, out of square trailer axles. bent axle, ect., but primary are wind and loading.

Reactions: EJH

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well, the trailer sway control thing. Ill take fords word that it works. Like my airbags, i dare to leave them untested.
Sponsored