Electronic trailer stability control

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Will be installing an aftermarket trailer brake control (Prodigy P2) and wonder if that has an effect on the vehicles electronic trailer sway control. The reason I ask is that on the Ford official Ranger accessories web site, there is an OEM trailer brake controller unit that reads "compatible with forward collision warning and automatic emergency brakes".

So if an aftermarket brake controller renders the FCW and AEB useless, then does it render the trailer sway control useless also ??
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is only the auto-emergency braking is affected and the stability control will work. If you think about it that makes sense as the stability control has to work with a trailer that has surge brakes i.e. a boat trailer or U-Haul, or one that doesn't have brakes at all.
If fwd collision warning activates the vehicle brakes, the electronic brake control will not receive a signal to brake the trailer.

OP
OP
Jimmy07

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Thanks, one more question for forum. I'll be towing a small travel trailer (R pod 178 about 3,000 pounds). Purchased it used with a weight distribution hitch, but no sway control bar. Original owner says they towed without any sway problems.

The Ranger has electronic trailer sway control. E-trailer web site recommends turning off the electronic sway control, if you have a sway control bar on weight distribution hitch. I was planning on adding a sway control bar until reading this.

Has anyone turned off their electronic trailer sway control, and though that was the right thing to do ??

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Thanks, one more question for forum. I'll be towing a small travel trailer (R pod 178 about 3,000 pounds). Purchased it used with a weight distribution hitch, but no sway control bar. Original owner says they towed without any sway problems.

The Ranger has electronic trailer sway control. E-trailer web site recommends turning off the electronic sway control, if you have a sway control bar on weight distribution hitch. I was planning on adding a sway control bar until reading this.

Has anyone turned off their electronic trailer sway control, and though that was the right thing to do ??
With a trailer that is only 3000 pounds you should not need a weight distributing hitch with the Ranger. The Ranger will handle the tongue weight just fine.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
It's it true that the Ranger with a factory installed tow package comes with electronic sway control?

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
It's it true that the Ranger with a factory installed tow package comes with electronic sway control?
Yes it is on mine and I have an XLT with the tow package. You can turn it on or off. I believe it is under driver assist.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
Yes it is on mine and I have an XLT with the tow package. You can turn it on or off. I believe it is under driver assist.
Thanks for confirming. I just got my truck a couple weeks ago and haven't really explored everything yet. Just looked and, yep it's right where you said it was.

I'm new to towing... But thinking getting a hitch with sway control would still be a good idea, yeah?

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Is the trailer sway control automatically on, and you have to push the button to turn it off, or is it vice versa?

Bungleflop

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger 4x4 STX/2017 fiesta se
Occupation
Us army infantry
Sway control is also on my 2019 xl under driver assist without the tow package seems to me that the only thing on the tow package is a hitch and wiring
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH