First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
OP; on your Ranger, if you go into the menu options (I'm not sure where; I have XLT dash), is there a check box to enable/disable towing mode?

I am asking that, because even with all the factory tow package parts installed, I think your Ranger will be rated for 3500-5000 lbs, not 7000 lbs. It has something to do with electronic stability options that are part of the tow package. I am not 100% certain of this and maybe someone else can provide more information.
You are incorrect sir
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Maybe Tow/Haul mode is something that could be enabled with Forscan?

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Maybe Tow/Haul mode is something that could be enabled with Forscan?
Do the 2020's not come with the tow/haul mode button near the bank of buttons by the shifter anyore? Regardless I think tow/haul mode just adjusts the shift points on the transmission so it stays in the torque ranges of the gears better. If you look under the rear bumper you should see a 4 pin harness already present. Once you plug the trailer in your truck will detect that and start to ask questions about the length and such.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Tow/Haul mode is a button on the center console. It changes the engine tables and transmission behavior for better behavior under load. It looks like a smaller trailer icon on the button, and a similar light illuminates on the dash.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
OP, regarding the brake controller, skip the hardwired hassle and go with the Curt Echo

5 Minutes to set up initially and you are ready to go

OP
OP

Az19

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 (Lariat)
OP, regarding the brake controller, skip the hardwired hassle and go with the Curt Echo

5 Minutes to set up initially and you are ready to go
Since the OEM brake controller can only be installed by a Ford Dealership does it offer any advantages over a 3rd party option?

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Long time listener first time caller here.

I purchased a 2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat In February of last year. In an idiot move I didnā€™t realize it didnā€™t have the factory tow package until the finance stage. I could have backed out but decided I would just deal with it down the line.

Iā€™ve read all the posts here regarding retrofitting the factory installed tow package (great info thanks). It seems as time has passed from the initial introduction of the new Ranger much clarity has been shed on how and what is needed to accomplish the retrofit.

I will be buying a travel trailer shortly and as such decided to go to my local Ford Dealer here in Temecula, CA to feel them out about getting the work down.

Talking to the service department and after market sales it was as if I was asking about them to install a functioning dishwasher to the back of my truck.

First in the service department I was told they donā€™t install hitches and was told to go to a muffler shop ( Ranch Muffler & Truck Accessories Inc). Then when I inquired in the parts department they said if Iā€™m having factory parts installed of course they could do the installation and sent me to speak to another person in the service department.

This individual once informed of what I wanted stated that my truck could not be retrofitted based on my vin #. I informed him the only difference between my truck and another sitting on the lot is my truck doesnā€™t have the tow package. Nothing else different about the trucks. He was adamant that it couldnā€™t be done.

The reasons this service department employee gave were that adding the tow package would screw my suspension up, my suspension isnā€™t made for the tow package, that my truck based on the vin # could only tow 2500 pounds and only use a class 1 hitch not a class 3. I informed him that my Ranger was capable of towing 7500 pounds and I already had a list of the parts I needed and wanted installed. He looked at me with pity so I decided to cut my loses and left. As I turned the corner inside the dealership I could hear the employees conferring about how preposterous what I was asking was.

Next I drove 15 miles to Lake Elsinore Ford.

Spoke with an individual in the service department. He straight out told me that his and many other Ford dealerships donā€™t retrofit the Rangers with the tow packages anymore because they had to many complaints and problems and didnā€™t want the liability as well as something about how they wouldnā€™t want to change the class 1 hitch to a class 3 hitch. Well at least this guy didnā€™t look at me as if I was insane and speaking in tongues. I asked him if adding the towing package would void my extended warranty and he said not at all and recommended the same muffler shop for the installation.

Next I went to the muffler shop recommended. I was impressed with their setup. The muffler guy said no problem he could install 3rd party parts or if I ordered the parts I wanted he would install them. He said he had done it many times (not sure about oem). He said the only thing he couldnā€™t install was the oem brake controller. He could install a 3rd party brake controller all day long but if I wanted the oem Ford one I would have to have the dealership do that.

So back to the first dealership. Talked to someone else in the service department who confirmed they could install the brake controller.

So what about all that prattle the first dealership guy went on about. He was misinformed, right? The Rangers with the tow package donā€™t have special springs or shocks or suspension or frames made specifically for the tow package ?

Am I correct in my believe that what separates a Ranger with and without the tow packages are the following and ONLY the following

1. Part # KB3Z-15K868-D Wire Harness

2. Part # FU5Z-14489-A Trailer Tow Harness Connector

3. Part # KB3Z-19D520-A TRAILER HITCH - FOR 2 INCH RECEIVER

Also for those that might be curious about the trailer Iā€™m going to pair with the Ranger it is going to be between these two:

Surveyor Legend 19BHLE (Forest River)
Hitch Weight 405 lb.
UVW 3814 lb.
Exterior Length 23ā€™ 4ā€

Apex Nano 294BHS
Hitch Weight 428 lb.
UVW 3634 lb.
Exterior Length 22ā€™ 8ā€

Also the dealership quoted me around $600 for the installation of the brake controller (Part No VKB3Z-2C006-A TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL - TOWING PACK 2)

And the muffler shop quoted me around $300 for the tow package.

So guys have any feedback or suggestions before I order the parts? Am I wrong or mistaken or have I overlooked anything regarding the parts I need.

Those first dealership people have got me worried that Iā€™m screwing up my truck if I retrofit it with the stock tow package. I wish I hadnā€™t been such a dumbass and gotten a Ranger without the factory installed tow package.
OP here is a thread that should help alot. It probably should be a stickied thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trucks-w-o-tow-package.1712/

Based on the research that was done by members of the community already you are correct. I do not know why the dealerships by you are so hesitant.

For myself I bought a third party class 3 hitch and am going to install the replacement wiring harness and 7/4 pin adapter myself. If you want a factory look the dealership should be able to install the tow package no problem.

Aurumulas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL 4x4, 2015 Scion FRS, 1995 MX-5
Occupation
I solve problems.
Yes. Tow/Haul button is by the shifter and trailer sway control is in the menus.

00130C6D-29D7-4C83-91C2-DA5DF9F06E89.jpeg

3D191486-8F72-4ECF-98C1-CEAB8F17AE23.jpeg

5203D290-F147-47F8-9816-8E213D676381.jpeg
What exactly does trailer sway do? I leave it on, but maybe I don't need/want it on?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Since the OEM brake controller can only be installed by a Ford Dealership does it offer any advantages over a 3rd party option?
As far as function goes, they provide the same functions

I am sure people will chime in saying how they like hard wired, or how they like having a box mounted in the way of their knees, or Ford warranty or something but to me there is no difference between the function of the factory BC or the Curt BC. Curt even functions if you happen to loose connection so there is no worry of loosing your brakes

dobs88

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT S-Cab, 2020 Toyota Camry LE
Occupation
Retired
Long time listener first time caller here.

I purchased a 2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat In February of last year. In an idiot move I didnā€™t realize it didnā€™t have the factory tow package until the finance stage. I could have backed out but decided I would just deal with it down the line.

Iā€™ve read all the posts here regarding retrofitting the factory installed tow package (great info thanks). It seems as time has passed from the initial introduction of the new Ranger much clarity has been shed on how and what is needed to accomplish the retrofit.

I will be buying a travel trailer shortly and as such decided to go to my local Ford Dealer here in Temecula, CA to feel them out about getting the work down.

Talking to the service department and after market sales it was as if I was asking about them to install a functioning dishwasher to the back of my truck.

First in the service department I was told they donā€™t install hitches and was told to go to a muffler shop ( Ranch Muffler & Truck Accessories Inc). Then when I inquired in the parts department they said if Iā€™m having factory parts installed of course they could do the installation and sent me to speak to another person in the service department.

This individual once informed of what I wanted stated that my truck could not be retrofitted based on my vin #. I informed him the only difference between my truck and another sitting on the lot is my truck doesnā€™t have the tow package. Nothing else different about the trucks. He was adamant that it couldnā€™t be done.

The reasons this service department employee gave were that adding the tow package would screw my suspension up, my suspension isnā€™t made for the tow package, that my truck based on the vin # could only tow 2500 pounds and only use a class 1 hitch not a class 3. I informed him that my Ranger was capable of towing 7500 pounds and I already had a list of the parts I needed and wanted installed. He looked at me with pity so I decided to cut my loses and left. As I turned the corner inside the dealership I could hear the employees conferring about how preposterous what I was asking was.

Next I drove 15 miles to Lake Elsinore Ford.

Spoke with an individual in the service department. He straight out told me that his and many other Ford dealerships donā€™t retrofit the Rangers with the tow packages anymore because they had to many complaints and problems and didnā€™t want the liability as well as something about how they wouldnā€™t want to change the class 1 hitch to a class 3 hitch. Well at least this guy didnā€™t look at me as if I was insane and speaking in tongues. I asked him if adding the towing package would void my extended warranty and he said not at all and recommended the same muffler shop for the installation.

Next I went to the muffler shop recommended. I was impressed with their setup. The muffler guy said no problem he could install 3rd party parts or if I ordered the parts I wanted he would install them. He said he had done it many times (not sure about oem). He said the only thing he couldnā€™t install was the oem brake controller. He could install a 3rd party brake controller all day long but if I wanted the oem Ford one I would have to have the dealership do that.

So back to the first dealership. Talked to someone else in the service department who confirmed they could install the brake controller.

So what about all that prattle the first dealership guy went on about. He was misinformed, right? The Rangers with the tow package donā€™t have special springs or shocks or suspension or frames made specifically for the tow package ?

Am I correct in my believe that what separates a Ranger with and without the tow packages are the following and ONLY the following

1. Part # KB3Z-15K868-D Wire Harness

2. Part # FU5Z-14489-A Trailer Tow Harness Connector

3. Part # KB3Z-19D520-A TRAILER HITCH - FOR 2 INCH RECEIVER

Also for those that might be curious about the trailer Iā€™m going to pair with the Ranger it is going to be between these two:

Surveyor Legend 19BHLE (Forest River)
Hitch Weight 405 lb.
UVW 3814 lb.
Exterior Length 23ā€™ 4ā€

Apex Nano 294BHS
Hitch Weight 428 lb.
UVW 3634 lb.
Exterior Length 22ā€™ 8ā€

Also the dealership quoted me around $600 for the installation of the brake controller (Part No VKB3Z-2C006-A TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL - TOWING PACK 2)

And the muffler shop quoted me around $300 for the tow package.

So guys have any feedback or suggestions before I order the parts? Am I wrong or mistaken or have I overlooked anything regarding the parts I need.

Those first dealership people have got me worried that Iā€™m screwing up my truck if I retrofit it with the stock tow package. I wish I hadnā€™t been such a dumbass and gotten a Ranger without the factory installed tow package.
You are correct with the part numbers you listed, these will give you the ā€œFactory Tow Packageā€. If you are handy you can install the OEM Redarc Brake Controlle (see a copy of my recent post below). Itā€˜s not that difficult, just go slow. I originally purchased the Curt Echo Controller and after using it, I returned it. I just didnā€™t feel comfortable with it, not a knock on Curt, just my opinion. Just an FYI, Iā€™m towing a 4,000lb travel trailer without any issues. Good luck.

I completed the install of the Ford approved Redarc yesterday. About 5hr start to finish, it could have gone quicker but Iā€™m pretty meticulous. I mounted the control switch on the center console by the shifter. I found it easiest to to remove the CHMSL light from the bed to remove the connector youā€™ll need to tap into, just push it through from the outside into the cab. Also of note is the fact that the 4 wires located near the fuse box were very short, Iā€™m an average size guy and found it awkward to get in there to install the butt connectors. (Also, with the Ford branded Redarc youā€™ll only be connecting to the blue and yellow wire). I took my TT for a ride today to calibrate the Redarc and test the brakes, all went well. Hope this helps.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
What exactly does trailer sway do? I leave it on, but maybe I don't need/want it on?
It uses to the antilock brake to independently control braking on each wheel to counter the effects of a swaying trailer. It is on by default. If you disable it, then it will come back on when you restart the vehicle. I don't know if it is part of the trailer tow package or not.
Sponsored