Tow Package Decreases Ranger Departure Angle?

Car1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm pretty impressed that a Ranger can tow up to 7,500 lbs. However, I mostly want the Ranger for off-road use so I'm wondering if adding the option trailer hitch will reduce the departure angle for the Ranger?
Sponsored

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Yes, slightly.

Trying to understand this ... is this because of the added weight or because the hitch is closer to the ground? Or both?

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Trying to understand this ... is this because of the added weight or because the hitch is closer to the ground? Or both?
I'm no expert, but I believe it is due to the tow package sticking out below/back of the bumper:

1614779220779.png

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Carl, are you trying to make a point?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
It takes away about 2 degrees. So yeah, not a big issue, well, for me anyway, and i would rather scrape the hitch than the bumper, provides a recovery point, and if its really that much of an issue. 2 c clamps and a 21mm socket help take of 4 bolts, remove the hitch, put the bolts back on so you dont lose the bumper

OP
OP

Car1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It takes away about 2 degrees. So yeah, not a big issue, well, for me anyway, and i would rather scrape the hitch than the bumper, provides a recovery point, and if its really that much of an issue. 2 c clamps and a 21mm socket help take of 4 bolts, remove the hitch, put the bolts back on so you dont lose the bumper
Your read my mind about how many degrees were lost with the towing hitch, thanks!
You can remove the hitch? I thought the factory tow package had the hitch welded onto the frame.

OP
OP

Car1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I guess Carl needs to make a decision on whats more important....towing, or radical offroading.
Maybe Carl needs a Bronco for the offroading.
Pony up Carl, get out the checkbook.
You have to compromise somewhere.......
I would get a Bronco, or a Wrangler, but I kind of need the payload and sometimes the towing capacity of the Ranger.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Personally... If I'm going to bottom out, I'd rather hit on the hitch than the bumper itself.
I totally agree, and I find all the serious 4x4 guys in Australia also run hitches and promote them as something you want on your offroader to protect the underside of your vehicle.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Lift kit will also fix the decrease from the hitch and even gain some over stock if you go big.

OP
OP

Car1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Lift kit will also fix the decrease from the hitch and even gain some over stock if you go big.
I heard that you shouldn't use lift kits that use block lifts if you're planning on rock crawling or some other type of very demanding off roading. Is there any truth to this?

Last edited:

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I heard that you shouldn't use lift kits that use block lifts if you're planning on rock crawling or some other type of very demanding off roading. Is there any truch to this?
I would not. Many lifted leaf spring choices available. Old Man Emu comes to mind.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I heard that you shouldn't use lift kits that use block lifts if you're planning on rock crawling or some other type of very demanding off roading. Is there any truch to this?
I have read this as well. You're probably best off getting taller tires and lifting the front a bit to get you going.
Sponsored