Tow Package Decreases Ranger Departure Angle?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Carl!

My FX4 did not have a tow package, but I added an aftermarket hitch that definitely sits a touch lower than the factory hitch that is a little more integrated into the rear of the truck. So I lost even more of that rear departure angle. I am lifted on the front, but currently stock in the rear other than Eibach shocks.

Going off road, I had absoultely no problems with the rear departure angle over some pretty good obstacles. I did drive off a shelf at one point and bottomed out either the hitch or spare tire on that ledge. But it was an easy little bump without any damage or anything.

I say get the tow package or an aftermarket tow setup and I think you'll be happy and encounter very little issue.

2020-04-18 19.13.12.jpg

2020-04-28 14.24.50.jpg

2020-08-16 14.15.38.jpg

received_312786029794068.jpeg
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
When you lift the front the back goes down. Maybe someone should create a system like the Packards did. When the front goes up an electric motor comes on and lifts the back to keep it level.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I heard that you shouldn't use lift kits that use block lifts if you're planning on rock crawling or some other type of very demanding off roading. Is there any truth to this?
Using blocks can/will increase axle wrap/wheel hop.

Traction bars take care of this, but yeah lifted springs or shackles are a better alternative.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Carl!

My FX4 did not have a tow package, but I added an aftermarket hitch that definitely sits a touch lower than the factory hitch that is a little more integrated into the rear of the truck. So I lost even more of that rear departure angle. I am lifted on the front, but currently stock in the rear other than Eibach shocks.

Going off road, I had absoultely no problems with the rear departure angle over some pretty good obstacles. I did drive off a shelf at one point and bottomed out either the hitch or spare tire on that ledge. But it was an easy little bump without any damage or anything.

I say get the tow package or an aftermarket tow setup and I think you'll be happy and encounter very little issue.
A real man would go off-roading with his boat and trailer.

Do it. And record video. kthx

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Maybe? I've banged the hitch off the ground a few times but it never hurt anything. I figure it is better the receiver than the bumper.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A real man would go off-roading with his boat and trailer.

Do it. And record video. kthx
Well f___, challenge accepted. Hold my beer!
Damn, my wife is going to be pissed. HAHAHAHA

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If I’m going to scrape the hell out of something, let it be the factory hitch. The small bit of off-roading I have done, I have yet to really worry about the rear scraping on anything.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Maybe? I've banged the hitch off the ground a few times but it never hurt anything. I figure it is better the receiver than the bumper.

I agree with this. The hitch is solid steel and can take the abuse.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
How about this for extreme departure angle??... Get the hitch, intall it and don't sweat it, you'll be fine. Just don't leave the ball mount in place when you go off road.

20200919_183005.jpg

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
How about this for extreme departure angle??... Get the hitch, intall it and don't sweat it, you'll be fine. Just don't leave the ball mount in place when you go off road.

20200919_183005.jpg
Oh ya guy, id say you were a hot half way to sendin' it right there

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It takes away about 2 degrees. So yeah, not a big issue, well, for me anyway, and i would rather scrape the hitch than the bumper, provides a recovery point, and if its really that much of an issue. 2 c clamps and a 21mm socket help take of 4 bolts, remove the hitch, put the bolts back on so you dont lose the bumper
Not sure this is feasible with the factory hitch option. From info on a few other threads, I don't think you can pull the OEM hitch without also losing the rear bumper

OP
OP

Car1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Here is a pic that might be helpful....this is on 265/70 R17

20210305_135227.jpg
It looks like you would hit the muffler first before hitting the hitch receiver so based on this I think that it should have any effect on Ford's departure angle calculation since I bet they calculated the angle assuming you don't want to flatten your muffler.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Not sure this is feasible with the factory hitch option. From info on a few other threads, I don't think you can pull the OEM hitch without also losing the rear bumper
I was not aware of that! Mine came with no receiver hitch. I had to add one and ordering the wiring for the 7 pin plug. Thank you.
Sponsored