Tow package issues

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I made no claims, but you made me search.

Here is the documentation. https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Ranger_Oct15.pdf

Tow/Haul Mode.
Other documentation lists it as standard. https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/...onic-10-speed-transmission-with-tow-haul-mode

Nothing in the documentation you referenced says anything about a 5000lb limit even if tow/haul mode is not standard. A separate 5000lb limit for non-tow-package trucks is the claim.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right. It is 3500 lbs.
Unless you add the stuff from the tow package. Which, as has already been said in this thread, consists of a hitch receiver and 7 pin connector. https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2020/models/ranger-xl/#trailer-tow-package

You've added the novel twist that maybe the tow/haul button is part of the tow package (I suspect it's an error, as I'm pretty sure I've seen it on non-tow trucks before.) But there's nothing to suggest that button has anything to do with the GVWR.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
They all come with tow haul mode so Iā€™m not sure what you are trying to say. All rangers with a hitch, 7 way plug and brake controller can tow 7500 pounds wether it came with a tow package or not

OP
OP

Az19

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 (Lariat)
You are correct with the part numbers you listed, these will give you the ā€œFactory Tow Packageā€. If you are handy you can install the OEM Redarc Brake Controlle (see a copy of my recent post below). Itā€˜s not that difficult, just go slow. I originally purchased the Curt Echo Controller and after using it, I returned it. I just didnā€™t feel comfortable with it, not a knock on Curt, just my opinion. Just an FYI, Iā€™m towing a 4,000lb travel trailer without any issues. Good luck.

I completed the install of the Ford approved Redarc yesterday. About 5hr start to finish, it could have gone quicker but Iā€™m pretty meticulous. I mounted the control switch on the center console by the shifter. I found it easiest to to remove the CHMSL light from the bed to remove the connector youā€™ll need to tap into, just push it through from the outside into the cab. Also of note is the fact that the 4 wires located near the fuse box were very short, Iā€™m an average size guy and found it awkward to get in there to install the butt connectors. (Also, with the Ford branded Redarc youā€™ll only be connecting to the blue and yellow wire). I took my TT for a ride today to calibrate the Redarc and test the brakes, all went well. Hope this helps.
So if you installed it yourself Iā€™m assuming the dealership didnā€™t have to do any magic to make it work. Good to know. I guess the muffler shop guy was mistake when he said only Ford could install the OEM controller.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They all come with tow haul mode so Iā€™m not sure what you are trying to say.
I think he found another ford documentation bug, unless that's about to be the next cost-saving measure.

All rangers with a hitch, 7 way plug and brake controller can tow 7500 pounds wether it came with a tow package or not
you don't need a brake controller either unless your trailer requires it.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I do not know why the dealerships by you are so hesitant.
Based on some of the posts on this forum, it sounds like adding the factory receiver is a real PITA, and all too often results in broken trim pieces. Here's a post where the dealership busted pieces during the install, said it happens about half the time, and then charged the pickup's owner to fix what they broke. I'm guessing some dealerships have just decided they don't want to deal with such issues.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
:facepalm:You cut off the bottom of the page where it makes the distinction between towing with the bumper (3500 lb limit) and towing with a hitch (7500 pound limit).
You've added the novel twist that maybe the tow/haul button is part of the tow package (I suspect it's an error, as I'm pretty sure I've seen it on non-tow trucks before.)
My 2019 XL did not come with the tow package, but still came with both the tow/haul button and trailer sway control.

OP
OP

Az19

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was worried this was going to be a pain in the ass to have done. If dealerships donā€™t want to touch it anymore due to complaints it says something. The muffler guy said he has done many of the new rangers however it wasnā€™t clear if he only meant 3rd party. He said I would be in and out in about two hours. He may not be aware of the job he is taking on. Might have to touch base with him again. I can just imagine him breaking a bunch of clips or something.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I was worried this was going to be a pain in the ass to have done. If dealerships donā€™t want to touch it anymore due to complaints it says something. The muffler guy said he has done many of the new rangers however it wasnā€™t clear if he only meant 3rd party. He said I would be in and out in about two hours. He may not be aware of the job he is taking on. Might have to touch base with him again. I can just imagine him breaking a bunch of clips or something.
I think more than anything the amount of time Ford says it takes to install the hitch isn't enough. Therefore the tech can't get it installed in that amount of time and the dealership looses money.

They don't want to lose money.

The aftermarket hitch is a simple bolt on... but looks nasty in comparison to the factory set-up.

No way I'd let a muffler shop do the factory hitch.. unless I had previous experience with that shops quality, or unless they gave me references and the phone number of the previous new Ranger owners that had the shop install the retrofits, so I could call them to verify form/fit/function.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Factory vs Aftermarket Hitch.jpg

OP
OP

Az19

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have any recommendations for where I can get this done with confidence in Southern CA?

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I think he found another ford documentation bug, unless that's about to be the next cost-saving measure.

you don't need a brake controller either unless your trailer requires it.
You gonna tow 7500 pounds without a brake controller? lol I know in California youā€™re suppose to have trailer brakes if your trailer weighs more than 1500 pounds I believe. I tend to push things so I donā€™t mind towing heavy without a brake controller but itā€™s not a great idea

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You gonna tow 7500 pounds without a brake controller? lol I know in California youā€™re suppose to have trailer brakes if your trailer weighs more than 1500 pounds I believe. I tend to push things so I donā€™t mind towing heavy without a brake controller but itā€™s not a great idea
So...you've just never heard of hydraulic surge brakes, for example?

Black Knight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
My 2019 STX did not come with the Tow Package, My dealer threw in the new tow package with some other goodies (long story). I installed the tow package myself in the garage, it wasn't easy but it also wasn't difficult. I followed the directions that it came with to a T. I only broke one clip and after all was put back together it was not an issue. The only way you can tell the difference between the factory install and my install is I have a little plastic circle that had to be glued over the original bumper location for the ball.
It took me about 2.5 hours.
So it is not that difficult to do it yourself if you have the tools.