First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I have had trucks ALL my life with GOOD tire Wear Always....Run...35 Pounds all Four tires year around....Check them every two weeks.
Yup, I wasn't saying they weren't good, just never seen them before, and surprised there is no bonding agent.

I've also always done all my own tire service. I have put dozens of straight folded rubber or folded dipped-cord plugs in, and never had a problem with either.

Anything that works is good, but the traditional method allows for plug stacking in emergencies, which doesn't look doable with mushroom plugs. Without having used one yet, the only benefit appears to be slightly cleaner with no cement or vulcanizing agent to contend with, but a little slower and requires a the special tool.

I'll stick to folders until I have reason to change.

YMMV, Cheers.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I haven't watched this yet, but Project Farm just did a best tire repair kit video. He's normally pretty complete in his testing, so I'm going to watch it now. Should be interesting, he has the mushroom plugs in the list.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m running the stock Bridgestone H/T’s in 18”. Door sticker says run 35psi and I’ve done so, I’ve also rotated them every 5k and had them re-balance 3 times.

All four are worn thinner in the center and are now right at the wear bar. I have one tire that is past the wear bar in the center. Coming up on 27K miles.

At 25K I rotated and dropped the psi to 32, rides much better. Two tires have plugs in them too.

I will be getting new tires before winter but probably should replace them now. I would if I were traveling but it’s mostly city driving. I’ll most likely replace them with Michelin’s or similar. I’m 95% on road use.
That's strange as mine are wearing evenly. I have the same tires at 22,000 miles and run them higher at 38 - 40 psi. All at same pressure. I fill them to 40 and as they leak down over many months to 37-38 air up again.

Reactions: Doc

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
That's strange as mine are wearing evenly. I have the same tires at 22,000 miles and run them higher at 38 - 40 psi. All at same pressure. I fill them to 40 and as they leak down over many months to 37-38 air up again.
Must be the curves and hills we have in TN?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Must be the curves and hills we have in TN?
Does Dolly drive your Ranger? I've stayed at a hotel across from Dollywood but didn't have the Ranger then.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work

HowIconic!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired Transportation Investigator
I run 42 psi in all four 18 inch tires. Ride is not wishy washy. Not a hard ride. Rolls better and wearing just fine. Still quiet on the highway.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I know, old thread.
The question was asked earlier why a larger tire would need less psi.
There's more to it than I know, but just using straight numbers -
Let's take 30 pounds per square inch.
If there is 10 square inches of tire surface area on the road, then that's 300.
A bicycle tire often takes 90 psi.
But if that little tire has only 2 square inches of surface area on the ground then that's only 180.
Take a woman's high heels.
If she is 80 lbs and her heel only has 1/2 inch of surface area, her heel is exerting 160 lbs per inch.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I know, old thread.
The question was asked earlier why a larger tire would need less psi.
There's more to it than I know, but just using straight numbers -
Let's take 30 pounds per square inch.
If there is 10 square inches of tire surface area on the road, then that's 300.
A bicycle tire often takes 90 psi.
But if that little tire has only 2 square inches of surface area on the ground then that's only 180.
Take a woman's high heels.
If she is 80 lbs and her heel only has 1/2 inch of surface area, her heel is exerting 160 lbs per inch.
Dang!
Where'd you find an 80lb woman? You need to immediately run and get her a couple of cheeseburgers or she'll blow away the next decent breeze that comes up!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
My truck came originally with Bridgestone Dueler 255/65/R17's and the door sticker recommended 30psi cold. I experimented and found 32-33psi cold gave the best ride. I upgraded to Ford OEM charcoals with BFG K02's 265/70/17's. I called BFG corporate, and they ran a calculation factoring in the weight of the Ranger with the K02's and they recommended 35psi cold. Experimented and found that 36psi cold gives the ideal ride. Have the tire pressures checked monthly at Discount...

View 1.jpg
Sponsored