MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Also remember... the actual tire pressure increases as the tire warms up.
Whenever I fill them up, I put in 35 PSI all around, which give a firm but not rough ride. I understand that, given weather conditions, time of day, nature of the drive, etc. that actual pressure will vary up and down, but not so much that I feel the difference in a negative way.
Sponsored

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Run the pressure listed on the drivers door jamb of your truck. Mine has Light Truck tires, so the pressure is higher.

Tire Pressure Sticker Rotated No Vin.jpg
A strong endorsement of this

Always check pressure cold. When in doubt, run at manufacturer spec

My tire gauge and TPMS are spot on. They were on my Jeep, too. I think the technology is probably pretty accurate.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Whenever I fill them up, I put in 35 PSI all around, which give a firm but not rough ride. I understand that, given weather conditions, time of day, nature of the drive, etc. that actual pressure will vary up and down, but not so much that I feel the difference in a negative way.
What's the placard specify for tire pressure cold for your truck?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The TPMS on my truck has been dead on (within ~0.5psi) to my actual gauge anytime I check. And I do it often since I air down for offroad.

My door placard says to run 30psi, but I found with the "floatiness" of the front, running 32-34psi was more comfortable and helped to settle the suspension out a bit.

I just upgraded from the 255/65/17s to 265/70/17s and am still working out the pressure for these, but I suspect I'll wind up in the same range.

2020-01-12 16.38.20.jpg
When I changed mine out to 265/70/17's I found 32 to be the sweet spot. I recently had my oil changed and the tires rotated and I told them 32. When I drove away they were set to 38. :facepalm: It was so stiff it was like driving on a set of bricks. .

Goodrx

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Just switched my tires to 255/70/17 and each tire is a different psi. Between 33-35. I was thinking just keeping them at 34.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It is thirty, but I find that too soft....
Keep an eye on the tire wear. You may find the tires wear more right in the center of the tread.

I ran extra tire pressure on my '02 Tacoma and the tires did wear in the center.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've had my truck in for service at two different Ford dealerships here in So Fla. After driving away, I found that each had set my TP at 40psi, in spite of the door sticker that says 30psi cold pressure. I emailed them to ask why, but have yet to get a response. Truck was delivered to me with TP at 42psi. I have to admit that like the ride better with the higher TP though. I still have the FX4 suspension. It's not as wallowy and bouncy as it was with the lower TP. Not worried about tire wear, it just means I will replace my Hankooks sooner rather than later.
I have the same Fx4 and never thought it was bouncy but I've seen where a lot of people seem to. I thought that 38 psi was way to stiff for me and being in FL just be careful with the heavy rains there. With them filled at 40 you will have less contact with the road and it could be dangerous. :)

Jon S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
TPMS should not be used as an accurate tire pressure indicator. A good dial type gauge is the way to go. My KO2s always show low by 1 or 2 lbs then come up once driven. Even during warm weather....go by the door jam label.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
changes in tire pressure are not meant to correct issues with dampening in the suspension system. Tire pressure makes the load carrying and tire contact patch area correct for your application. Too much or too little tire pressure for your application is not a good recipe for safety or tire wear. Bret

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Keep an eye on the tire wear. You may find the tires wear more right in the center of the tread.

I ran extra tire pressure on my '02 Tacoma and the tires did wear in the center.
Thanks, John, will do.

WorldPax

First Name
Pax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2000 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Transportation
Door says 35-psi all around. Were set at 42-psi from the dealer. The TPM's seem pretty close using the quality gauge I use for autocross. Very few people I know can identify a 1-psi difference. Usually needs to be 3-psi or more.
I set the fronts at 38psi far a little crisper turn-in and the rears at 34-psi for a little extra grip in the rear. Most of a vehicle's handling is set by the springs and sway bars, but the tires also have some spring rate. Increasing or decreasing pressures can be used to adjust that spring rate and affect the handling.
My initial settings are an educated guess. I'll adjust once I get a chance to hit some of my favorite off-ramps. Or since I'm setting up the course for next week's autocross, maybe I'll have to use the truck to "test" it out. Wink-wink.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
i prefer over inflation

not for the reasons most of you think.
sure... could be to gain a little less rolling resistance and better fuel economy
maybe i like the trucky ride rather than the buick plushness of 20PSI.
I tend to haul alot of dead weight so maxxing the tire pressure makes sense.

why I really do it though is so that i dont get much side wall roll when i corner this beast. they are rock solid and the tread in bulged out like a motorcycle tire.
As the body rolls and you heave her through the corners, it tends to roll the tires over if they are normal inflation...with the over inflation, you tend to wear the tires evenly as you scrub away your chicken strips as the body rolls left to right.
If you get really good at it, your passenger wont feel a thing, they think you're just effortlessly running the dragon with mad skillz and Ferrari like performance.

You do know all these things can be accomplished by just adding a damper? ?
Sponsored