Tire Pressure ?

Emmittfan22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I was wondering if anyone knows what the door panel shows for tire pressure if you have the 265/70/R17 from the factory. TIA!
Sponsored

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is 30 psi
My stock tires are 255/65/17. Why would a bigger tire take less air pressure? My door panel says 35 psi all the way around which also bothers me because on my past F 150's, the door panel always said 35 front and 32 or 33 rear. (I can't remember whether it was 32 or 33) I know that's because the the rear is lighter without a load in the bed. I've been putting 33 psi on my rear tires even though the door says 35 unless someone can tell me why I should go by the door panel. I don't understand why they would have the same psi on the rear as on the front when the rear is so much lighter. I know we have some Ford engineers on this site so I'm looking forward to their responses. By the way, I had to put on the 265/ 65/17 because the Continental Terrain Contact H/T's in my original size are impossible to come by right now until they pick up production, supposedly later this month. So, I'm curious as what that air pressure should be. I'm sticking with my door panels for them since they're so close in size. For anybody considering tires, this is my third set of Continentals and they make have best traction of any tires I've ever had, especially in the rain. Hey I've been through bridge stones, Firestones, Goodyear, in a couple of others but I can't remember her name brands of, with the exception of those hankook's call my wife's CRV's. I hate those BridgeStones with a passion that I had. They spun so bad on right hand turns and on wet roads. If I kicked the turbo in at any speed on a wet road, the back tires would just spin but that doesn't happen with these continentals. And Continental has a 60 day moneyback guarantee.

Reactions: Doc

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
My stock tires are 255/65/17. Why would a bigger tire take less air pressure?
Larger tires usually have a higher load capacity so they need less air to carry the same amount of weight. I have the same tires as you and as best I can tell from here and other boards, the door sticker says 30f/30r for Supercabs (me) and 35f/35r for Super Crews. I run 35f/30r to sharpen up the handling and lessen wear on the outside edges. Also there is a difference between P-rated tires and LT-rated tires. LT’s like more air, I saw a tire pressure conversion site that told me if I switch to LT265/70-17 C load range I should run 35 psi.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I was wondering if anyone knows what the door panel shows for tire pressure if you have the 265/70/R17 from the factory. TIA!
i don’t think anyone has 265/70 from the factory, except maybe on the tremor?

Reactions: Doc

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This question will get more answers than what oil should I run. What is on the sticker for your truck only applies to the OEM tires that came on it. Mine since it came with LT265-65-17 Hankook tires specifies 38 psi front and back. Someone with P rated tires the same size may say 30 psi. The combinations are endless. And once you change rims, tire size, brand, or rating all bets are off. You can do a chalk test and play with tire pressures until your happy. As I said mine says 38, I run mine at 34-35 normally because I like the ride better. I do bump the rears up when I tow my TT. When I need new tires I'll have to figure out where they run best.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Your sticker will be for Factory Tires and rims only. Once that has been changed you will need to figure out the best pressure for you. I switched my tires and rims at the dealer when new and had them set at 35psi. I then did the Chalk test on a front and rear and adjusted my tires all down to 32psi. That seems to provide me with the best road contact and ride combination. Th pressure gets higher on highway runs, but having them set to 32psi "cold" seems to work well for me.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Larger tires usually have a higher load capacity so they need less air to carry the same amount of weight. I have the same tires as you and as best I can tell from here and other boards, the door sticker says 30f/30r for Supercabs (me) and 35f/35r for Super Crews. I run 35f/30r to sharpen up the handling and lessen wear on the outside edges. Also there is a difference between P-rated tires and LT-rated tires. LT’s like more air, I saw a tire pressure conversion site that told me if I switch to LT265/70-17 C load range I should run 35 psi.
Thanks for the heads up. Very interesting. I'll have to look more into this now.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I’m running the stock Bridgestone H/T’s in 18”. Door sticker says run 35psi and I’ve done so, I’ve also rotated them every 5k and had them re-balance 3 times.

All four are worn thinner in the center and are now right at the wear bar. I have one tire that is past the wear bar in the center. Coming up on 27K miles.

At 25K I rotated and dropped the psi to 32, rides much better. Two tires have plugs in them too.

I will be getting new tires before winter but probably should replace them now. I would if I were traveling but it’s mostly city driving. I’ll most likely replace them with Michelin’s or similar. I’m 95% on road use.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I’m running the stock Bridgestone H/T’s in 18”. Door sticker says run 35psi and I’ve done so, I’ve also rotated them every 5k and had them re-balance 3 times.

All four are worn thinner in the center and are now right at the wear bar. I have one tire that is past the wear bar in the center. Coming up on 27K miles.

At 25K I rotated and dropped the psi to 32, rides much better. Two tires have plugs in them too.

I will be getting new tires before winter but probably should replace them now. I would if I were traveling but it’s mostly city driving. I’ll most likely replace them with Michelin’s or similar. I’m 95% on road use.
You could well be living my life....very nearly exactly the same thing/mileage with me.
I will not, however, be going to Michelins. My wife had them on her Edge and they were noticeably louder than the cheap Bridgestones I'm running from the factory.
I'll be going to one size larger tire and probably a better Bridgestone or something similarly quiet as I don't do any off-roading. All highway/city driving for me.
Sponsored