First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
What are you guys using for tire chains? I'm only interested in getting chains for the rear. I know I could do spacers, but will probably just get autosocks for the front. But I want a decent set of chains for the rear. Mostly wondering if guys are having any issues running chains that are not S class. my tire is 265/70R17 and is not included in the owners manual.

From the manual

30 mph max

Only fit snow chains to the following specified tires:
• 255/70 R16 111T.
• 255/65 R17 110T.
• 265/65 R17 112T.
• 265/60 R18 110T.
• LT265/65 R17 109T.
Only use S-Class snow chains, 0.6 in (15 mm) chain links.
Only use manual tensioning chains. Do not use self-tensioning chains.
Only use snow chains in pairs on the rear axle.
Sponsored

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
In for the replies on this one, it's on my list as well, but all wheels 😈

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
In for the replies on this one, it's on my list as well, but all wheels 😈
You can't put chains on the front tires (at least not in stock form) - there is not enough room between the tire and the coil.

I'm pretty sure you could use a tire sock on the front but I've not heard of anyone trying them.

You made me look at my chains I have - wondering if they will fit my "new" Toyo AT3s.... I need to do a test fit one of these days.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Haven't used any tire chains on the Ranger out here in Colorado and thankfully did not have the need. That said I would just get Auto Socks for the front and rear. Just be aware that if you haven't already, I would first make sure you have a good set of M&S rated tires and have some weight in the rear like sand bags for the lovely winter days.

Tiger02595

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Bourbon Ambassador
I have a pair of diamond pattern chains as I've found them to be easy on and off. They are tight on my stock AT 265/70 17 tires. I have not had to use them yet, but I carry them when traveling in Washington going over Snoqualmie Pass or headed down toward Boise. You just never know.

They are not the S type as there is plenty of room between the tires and wheel wells and the tire side walls on the inside. The ones I bought are the Grizzlar GDP-265 Diamond Alloy Tire Chains.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Luckily Idaho does not have chain requirements so I have not used any. Traveling to Or, or CA could be an issue. My next set of tires ( very soon) will be a 3 peak tire.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Luckily Idaho does not have chain requirements so I have not used any. Traveling to Or, or CA could be an issue. My next set of tires ( very soon) will be a 3 peak tire.
It definitely varies by state. For example, Colorado does.have a Chain Law. Depending on the vehicle and the conditions will depend if you need to have chains. The most severe conditions where you probably shouldn't be out on the road is where you need 4WD/AWD with M&S Snow tires and snow chains. It's an interesting law to go over

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I have a pair of diamond pattern chains as I've found them to be easy on and off. They are tight on my stock AT 265/70 17 tires. I have not had to use them yet, but I carry them when traveling in Washington going over Snoqualmie Pass or headed down toward Boise. You just never know.

They are not the S type as there is plenty of room between the tires and wheel wells and the tire side walls on the inside. The ones I bought are the Grizzlar GDP-265 Diamond Alloy Tire Chains.
Good call Vince.

When I lived in Vancouver, BC, I’d watch KING 5 or KIRO 7 news and there would often be a live weather report from Snoqualmie Pass whenever there was a big winter storm. It always looked treacherous.

Josh275

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Employed
2 years ago during hunting season(November in MT) I put chains on my front tires. As I did not read the manual I have some V-bar chains for all four tires. I was able to drive fine, but the chains were definitely whacking the coil on their way around the tire.

I'm considering adding a 1" spacer to give me some clearance for my chains. Has anyone else attempted this solution?

OP
OP

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
2 years ago during hunting season(November in MT) I put chains on my front tires. As I did not read the manual I have some V-bar chains for all four tires. I was able to drive fine, but the chains were definitely whacking the coil on their way around the tire.

I'm considering adding a 1" spacer to give me some clearance for my chains. Has anyone else attempted this solution?
I have not but the classified section on the forum has several spacer sets for sale.
Sponsored