Test Drove A Maverick Today

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The 2.0/AWD version of the Maverick is quicker than the Ranger, and since it's more SUV based the ride is nicer.

I priced out an XLT exactly like I would want and it's $32k.

If Ford ever puts the AWD with the hybrid (and puts in a display screen that takes up that huge hole on the right) I'll probably get one.
Sponsored

Orpheus_16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4WD - Crew Cab
The 2.0/AWD version of the Maverick is quicker than the Ranger, and since it's more SUV based the ride is nicer.

I priced out an XLT exactly like I would want and it's $32k.

If Ford ever puts the AWD with the hybrid (and puts in a display screen that takes up that huge hole on the right) I'll probably get one.
For me, its if they give the Maverick the psuedo rear-locker like the Bronco Sport Badlands has. Then I'll probably go for it. The Maverick rode great and was super comfy (back seat moreso than our Rangers).

But having 4-low for off-road was what convinced me. AWD is getting a lot better for off-road, but I don't think it's all there yet. From what I've seen, the Bronco Sport might be the most capable off-road unibody SUV out there, and I'm pretty amazed they didn't stick that same drive system under the Maverick.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
For me, its if they give the Maverick the psuedo rear-locker like the Bronco Sport Badlands has. Then I'll probably go for it. The Maverick rode great and was super comfy (back seat moreso than our Rangers).

But having 4-low for off-road was what convinced me. AWD is getting a lot better for off-road, but I don't think it's all there yet. From what I've seen, the Bronco Sport might be the most capable off-road unibody SUV out there, and I'm pretty amazed they didn't stick that same drive system under the Maverick.
I would want the FX4 package just for the drive modes as I would never off-road it. Oh, and the awesome bedside sticker ?

I'm at the point now where I never off-road my Ranger, and the Maverick is enough truck for my needs as my Jeep can tow 6500 lbs and is better off road than my Ranger.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Some of the dealerships near me have a thing where if you trade in a car, they get rid of the markup. Have you asked about this?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Maverics are more the size I need but the deal breaker is 4 doors only. give me ranchero 2 door, AWD and bigger ecoboost. My awesome wife has a Kona ultimate and I love driving that thing. I call it "Zippy" because I don't need to slow down around turns. Personally I'd stick with the Kona for a year or 2 and wait for price gouging to settle a little. You already have a pickup so...

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The Maverick is all I really need but I like the ranger a lot. If something happened an I needed a new vehicle it'd be at the top of the list. I heard the hybrid is slow an the 2.0 awd mpg is around 24 which isn't a whole lot better than the ranger. I figure Livernois might add some more pep to the 2.0 so that's always fun.

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks....I will give you an X Plan which is ½% above dealer invoice. Bet they refuse to honor the X plan but might work..... I was going to buy a Ford GT, but dealer was $100,000 over MSRP...Still in the bidding but fellow just offered any amount over best offer... I hate dealer gouging.

Since I do not accept PM due to an overwhelmed inbox.... Mods can get to me to tell me of your interest....Most folks will not take this rounte, but if you are serious I would like to help if I can...

Best,
Phil
Phil,

I can't see buying anything right now with the total lack of any kind of deal. I'm not in a hurry to get gouged by the dealers. I so appreciate your offer. I'm thinking of a Maverick when they put pair AWD with the Hybrid power setup.

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Maverics are more the size I need but the deal breaker is 4 doors only. give me ranchero 2 door, AWD and bigger ecoboost. My awesome wife has a Kona ultimate and I love driving that thing. I call it "Zippy" because I don't need to slow down around turns. Personally I'd stick with the Kona for a year or 2 and wait for price gouging to settle a little. You already have a pickup so...
Agreed!
Like I told Phil....when they mate the Hybrid setup with the AWD it will be what I need. I have plenty of power with the Ranger. Until they sort out this microchip situation with manufacturing I can't see buying anything new unless you have lots of money and don't care. I got a good deal on my Ranger and Kona....I don't plan on giving them up just yet.
Also, on another note....the wife told me I could buy a late model Audi TT if I pay off the credit cards. I've always wanted one of those. You can get a 2018/2019 for low to mid 30's so that is an option....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

I can't see buying anything right now with the total lack of any kind of deal. I'm not in a hurry to get gouged by the dealers. I so appreciate your offer. I'm thinking of a Maverick when they put pair AWD with the Hybrid power setup.
Hi Mark,

Understand....offer remains on the table unless I run out of the 4 X Plans I get every year. With X Plan all the cards of the dealer's hand are face up.... Many dealers like X plan as the sale is quick...Dealer invoice of which they must provide you a copy has a box below the dealer's invoice price and that is the price you pay. No negotiation required except for possibly your trade in vehicle if you so choose...

Best,
Phil

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
One was sitting next to my Ranger at the dealer today. Mine is in for bird noises... Annoying but functional. The Maverick couldn't move - something locked up the trans. I know that is a great sample size and very scientific but it made me feel better for not waiting on the Mav I ordered.

Service rep said that was the second one towed in on a flatbed this week... Two is almost half of what they have sold so far from that dealer.... Weird because it's parts bin stuff.

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS

Orpheus_16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4WD - Crew Cab
I would want the FX4 package just for the drive modes as I would never off-road it. Oh, and the awesome bedside sticker ?

I'm at the point now where I never off-road my Ranger, and the Maverick is enough truck for my needs as my Jeep can tow 6500 lbs and is better off road than my Ranger.
FX4 package is also the only way to get tow hooks! I saw over on the Maverick forum you can't even install them on non-FX4 Mavericks without a lot of work.
Sponsored