Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
Installing now ??????

How long do we get the free map and Sync updates? I am quickly approaching my 3 year adoption anniversary… almost 3 years on here… crazy! The amount of $$ I would have never known to spend without all of your inspiration ?

Post install update: It worked, about 30min as others have experienced. Definitely glitchy at first as some have seen. Even after restarting a few times (to the directions) I had issues with Car Play, Bluetooth and other items not connecting/working properly. All system updates were up to date. After turning off again and letting it sit for 10 min and restarting all software worked as expected.

One note, be sure to plug the usb drive into your PC after and upload the install logs to keep the records at Ford up to date (if you want to that is).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Did mine and only took about 15 min and was done. Did key cycle and all went good. When I try to confirm the install on Ford's web site. I see the green check mark for a second and it blinks to cannot upload file. Also map update does not have the 2022 in the data banks yet. says my truck is greater then 2010 for some reason. I have NA 2 20 and ford nav site shows NA 2 21 is current version.

Last edited:

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did mine and only took about 15 min and was done. Did key cycle and all went good. When I try to confirm the install on Ford's web site. I see the green check mark for a second and it blinks to cannot upload file. Also map update does not have the 2022 in the data banks yet. says my truck is greater then 2010 for some reason. I have NA 2 20 and ford nav site shows NA 2 21 is current version.
This is Ford's answer to the problem:

You can report a successful update: Perform a Key Cycle.
Connect the vehicle to an available Wi-FI network.
Notes:

Wi-Fi signal strength of 4 bars (full strength) with reliable internet service will typically allow SYNC 3 to confirm the update.
It may take up to a month to confirm the update due to network conditions/connectivity.
Owners are currently unable to confirm SYNC 3 software updates on the owner website. This is a known issue
The update will be successfully reported within a month or less.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Uneventful. Can’t tell any difference.

999BS

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ranger Tremor 501A
Occupation
Aviation
I got the notification that I have an update in FordPass on October 10, but when I click the link sent in the message center of FordPass and go to the website, enter the VIN it says it's not eligible for an update. (2022 Ranger Tremor)

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I got the notification that I have an update in FordPass on October 10, but when I click the link sent in the message center of FordPass and go to the website, enter the VIN it says it's not eligible for an update. (2022 Ranger Tremor)
we don’t have the map update. But you didn’t get the sync update? It was there for my 22 Tremor.

999BS

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ranger Tremor 501A
Occupation
Aviation
we don’t have the map update. But you didn’t get the sync update? It was there for my 22 Tremor.
I'll have to check Sync for the update if it's current or not. Struggle bus my wifi doesn't reach the end of my driveway and there's a moving pod in the middle of it right now ?.
That's weak that we didn't get the update, I've got new construction around me and it'd be nice to not look like I'm in the wilderness on the NAV when I'm in a Publix parking lot. LOL

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
FYI the map does not update automatically over wifi. You need to go to Ford's website and download it to a USB stick, then do the update.
See here:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/official-map-update-coming-soon…-sep-2022.21389/

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
and yet...that's how most people are creating their usb drives...
A PC is different than a vehicle head unit. Doing this all on the head unit would required ~12GBs of storage plus maybe more for moving files around, the processing power to unzip files, and possible hours of WiFi connection, etc. I understand your desire, but I think the USB map update requirement is reasonable. .

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A PC is different than a vehicle head unit. Doing this all on the head unit would required ~12GBs of storage plus maybe more for moving files around, the processing power to unzip files
The files are all compressed on the usb and need to be decompressed on install; the zip file is entirely to make it easier for people to download and doesn't actually compress the files any more than they already are. An OTA update (like the one for the firmware) would download the files individually, not as a zip. At any rate, the processor in the head unit is more than capable of handling a simple decompression (which is much less intensive than the screen drawing and voice recognition). I agree they might not have allowed enough space, but that's a facepalm/cheapout rather than a technical limitation (and also causes issues for USB updates as well). I also wouldn't bet against corporate siloing, such that the map team didn't talk to the sync team about OTA updates, or the whole issue being an artifact of trying really hard to turn map updates into a revenue stream to the detriment of the user experience.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
A PC is different than a vehicle head unit. Doing this all on the head unit would required ~12GBs of storage plus maybe more for moving files around, the processing power to unzip files, and possible hours of WiFi connection, etc. I understand your desire, but I think the USB map update requirement is reasonable. .
FWIW, my 21 Tremor came with NA 1 19 maps on it and an older version of Sync3. When I got home the first thing I did was connect it to my home WiFi and check for updates. It said there was and started down loading a Sync update. With the truck off in the driveway it did the OTA update in about 2 hours. I ran the check for update again and it said there was and started down loading it. Later the next day the system told me it was complete and when I checked my software I had the NA 2 20 maps.

When it was anounced the NA 2 21 maps were available I ran the check for updates and was told my system was up to date. Same thing with when Sync update 3.4.22200 was released the OTA updates said I was up to date. I had to download both and install via a USB memory stick.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, my 21 Tremor came with NA 1 19 maps on it and an older version of Sync3. When I got home the first thing I did was connect it to my home WiFi and check for updates. It said there was and started down loading a Sync update. With the truck off in the driveway it did the OTA update in about 2 hours. I ran the check for update again and it said there was and started down loading it. Later the next day the system told me it was complete and when I checked my software I had the NA 2 20 maps.

When it was anounced the NA 2 21 maps were available I ran the check for updates and was told my system was up to date. Same thing with when Sync update 3.4.22200 was released the OTA updates said I was up to date. I had to download both and install via a USB memory stick.
that's interesting. there's usually a lag between the time an update is available to download and the time it's available OTA, so that's not unexpected. I've never seen a map update happen OTA, but if they've added that I'll have to take back some of my criticism of their update process. (timeliness would still apparently be an issue...)
Sponsored