First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Valet Manager
I am averaging about 18.9 MPG on 89. I did not buy this truck with gas mileage in mind. However I have averaged much better gas mileage in my Ranger than any other truck I have owned.
Sponsored

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
Took a trip from NJ to NC this past weekend. I averaged a little over 25 mpg and most of my driving was at 70 mph using the adaptive cruise control.

Does Virginia use winter fuel?

I have never seen 25 mpg in my truck before. I currently have around 23,000 miles on it.
i have an STX Supercab and often get 27 mpg or more. warmer weather helps and the a/c on these things doesn't seem to impact mileage. if i travel country roads between 50 and 60 mph i'll get over 28 mpg. the fuel computer always seems to indicate slightly better than i actually get but my numbers are real pencil and paper calculations.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
I installed a Mishimoto CAI and Gibson dual exit cat-back exhaust and my average mpg went from 20.4 to 25.8.

I averaged 26.5 mpg on my last fuel tank of 91. I'm also at 6k-7k elevation.

Reactions: Doc

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I wouldn't use MMT based octane booster on anything with cats, or any engine that you don't plan on regularly changing plugs on.
Manual specifically says not to.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I run exclusively 91 in my truck in West Texas. The last few days we have had triple digits and the next few it’s going to be 106-108 degrees. Sitting in stop and go traffic and liberal acceleration, I need all the octane I can get. Plus it’s forced induction, I’ve never run anything below 89 in my truck, and when I do it’s the winter months.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I regularly get around 25 MPG with my truck. I always use 92 octane.

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
hot nd high should help mileage on a turbocharged engine but i don't know about 6k - 7k elevation.

to those guys running anything other than 87 octane: have you tried 87 and had problems? modern auto engine technology/electronics should eliminate the need for anything other than what the owner's manual calls for.

i do accelerate gently but i drive the speed limit or sometimes more and at 800 ft. i'm getting about 27mpg (pen and paper calculations, not the ford computer which seems to read up to 1 mpg more). i loaded the truck to max gross twice and went 160 miles from sea level to 800' and still got 25 mpg at 65 mph.

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
I’m not complaining. 91 octane always, 70/30 Highway driving, try to stay around 70 mph.
CDF3A7C8-D5BC-4945-95AA-F238C8AC84EC.jpeg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
hot nd high should help mileage on a turbocharged engine but i don't know about 6k - 7k elevation.

to those guys running anything other than 87 octane: have you tried 87 and had problems? modern auto engine technology/electronics should eliminate the need for anything other than what the owner's manual calls for.

i do accelerate gently but i drive the speed limit or sometimes more and at 800 ft. i'm getting about 27mpg (pen and paper calculations, not the ford computer which seems to read up to 1 mpg more). i loaded the truck to max gross twice and went 160 miles from sea level to 800' and still got 25 mpg at 65 mph.
The manual calls for 91 or higher octane for best overall vehicle and engine performance.

We're averaging 27 mpg here at 8,000 feet elevation on 91 Shell top tier. Better than sticker ratings, and good mpg for a 4x4.

Page 140 and 141 87 - 91 Octane.jpg

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
mine isnt broke in yet, has 1000 miles on it, in town driving mostly right now, after i fill up and do the math etc... last 3 tanks are solid 19.5, truck says 20.5 , so it is off..... i dont drive fast or hard ever... just saying

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
mine isnt broke in yet, has 1000 miles on it, in town driving mostly right now, after i fill up and do the math etc... last 3 tanks are solid 19.5, truck says 20.5 , so it is off..... i dont drive fast or hard ever... just saying
real in-town stop and go driving will kill the mileage. although the new ranger has the engine-off golf cart feature it is not as aggressive as it could be.

what mileage do you get at say a steady state 55 and resetting the fuel computer?

p.s. although my truck at 7500 mile might be getting incrementally better/broken in at 1000 miles it was still close to what it is now.

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
That owner's manual clearly says minimum 87 octane is required. ford telling you what you could use a few lines later is like saying they require 5w30 sn+ but they recommend ford oil part #blah blah.

that said, i'm always willing to learn so could you tell me if there was a measurable performance and mph difference between using 87 and 91?

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
That owner's manual clearly says minimum 87 octane is required. ford telling you what you could use a few lines later is like saying they require 5w30 sn+ but they recommend ford oil part #blah blah.

that said, i'm always willing to learn so could you tell me if there was a measurable performance and mph difference between using 87 and 91?
I will tell you that when I switch to 91 or higher, the truck runs so much better. Peppier, smoother and better MPGs. When I put in sport mode - WOW!

I do switch back and forth - depending if I get the $ bug up my butt. When I run 87, I use Sport mode in town and Drive mode on the highway. When I run 92 - no need to run in Sport mode. unless I'm feeling frisky (Not THAT kind of frisky)

I'm currently running 92 (my local station has that) and I love it.
Sponsored