Surprised by my gas mileage

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Took a trip from NJ to NC this past weekend. I averaged a little over 25 mpg and most of my driving was at 70 mph using the adaptive cruise control.

Does Virginia use winter fuel?

I have never seen 25 mpg in my truck before. I currently have around 23,000 miles on it.
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Does your truck have a tune?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Sounds average to me

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Can't wait for summer gas, as with only 2k miles, I'm doing 18mpg only.
Truck is stock, 87 octane & I'm light on the go pedal.
Always bought my vehicles with consumption in mind. A little disappointed.
Next fillup should be summer gas, I hope, no more cold snaps by end of March.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Can't wait for summer gas, as with only 2k miles, I'm doing 18mpg only.
Truck is stock, 87 octane & I'm light on the go pedal.
Always bought my vehicles with consumption in mind. A little disappointed.
Next fillup should be summer gas, I hope, no more cold snaps by end of March.
Have you considered running 91/93 octane? I ran only 87 when I first bought the truck, but since I switched the performance is improved and I'm getting 22mpg in mixed driving on winter gas.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Have you considered running 91/93 octane? I ran only 87 when I first bought the truck, but since I switched the performance is improved and I'm getting 22mpg in mixed driving on winter gas.
I've experienced almost identical results.

Ran 87 in the beginning. Fought the switch to the more expensive 93 but when I did, my mileage increased substantially. The truck ran so much better. I have recently switched back to 87 and certainly notice the difference but I can live with it. I'm still getting 25+- highway mileage but with the pandemic, I rarely travel much so the short-trip local mileage is around 18-19.

I may switch back to 93 because the truck runs so much better.

Edit-add:
I find myself flipping to Sport mode more often to get the "oomph" back since I went back to 87. Sport mode makes up for the loss of pep with the lower octane fuel.

Last edited:

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've experienced almost identical results.

Ran 87 in the beginning. Fought the switch to the more expensive 93 but when I did, my mileage increased substantially. The truck ran so much better. I have recently switched back to 87 and certainly notice the difference but I can live with it. I'm still getting 25+- highway mileage but with the pandemic, I rarely travel much so the short-trip local mileage is around 18-19.

I may switch back to 93 because the truck runs so much better.
I started in the summer just out of curiosity, but the improvement is so dramatic! Even in the winter seeing the improvements when its like 0 degrees out, I do not want to go back to regular gas.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
The difference between 87 and 93 per gallon is ridiculous.its 60 to 80 cents. That's a big spread that made me switch back and use sport mode. The increased mpgs doesn't justify the switch.
This is what's stopping me from getting the Ford Tune. You're stuck with premium all the time. Could be a real curse come Memorial day.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The difference between 87 and 93 per gallon is ridiculous.its 60 to 80 cents. That's a big spread that made me switch back and use sport mode. The increased mpgs doesn't justify the switch.
I get the economics.

But using lower octane fuel gives you a greater chance of knock and preignition. Coupling that with the higher rpms and therefore boost levels of sport mode is not ideal.

Understood that the computer will adjust for it. But it does so by sensing bad things that I'd prefer not happen at all.

IMHO, turbo cars get the best fuel available. I find it cheap insurance.

I have no evidence to back it up, but I believe that most people with major Ecoboost engine problems were using cheap gas and a poor maintenance schedule.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally, it does hurt getting gas especially since I drive a good bit.
This is what's stopping me from getting the Ford Tune. You're stuck with premium all the time. Could be a real curse come Memorial day.
I am a scaredy cat about the warranty but Livernois and the other tuners at least offer different tunes for different octanes for the flexibility. At least that is an option :sunglasses:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I am a scaredy cat about the warranty but Livernois and the other tuners at least offer different tunes for different octanes for the flexibility. At least that is an option :sunglasses:
I have an 8 year warranty so it'd be wasteful to ditch it for extra hp. Oh well...

Heezy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
I only get around 18.3 to 19.2 mostly highway too. In ca the cost of 91 (there is no 93 at normal gas stations here)Is closing in on 5$ a gallon so I’ve been running 89. Not much change tho.
Sponsored