First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
This thread probably has been around but I am curious as to what gas mileage these new Rangers are getting and also what year Ranger and are you using regular unleaded gasoline, middle range or premium gas? I have tried all three but my truck only has 4 tanks in her so far. The premium was the worst. The only Mod I have done is a Borla Exhaust. The first tank I got about 22 mpg but that was highway mileage. My Premium tank was 16.4 mpg. OUCH. That was all short trips to work and around town.
Thanks,
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
2019 XLT Sport 2WD Supercrew
Right at 15K miles
91 Octane (now), as it performs better at 91 than 87, especially after several tank-fulls in a row.
I consistently avg just over 26 mpg per tank.
This is reasonably easy for me to do as:
a) I live in Phoenix so mostly flatland driving
b) I'm not hard on equipment...I use the cruise control a LOT and just don't get too deep in the throttle unless I'm merging onto the freeway system here.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
This thread probably has been around but I am curious as to what gas mileage these new Rangers are getting and also what year Ranger and are you using regular unleaded gasoline, middle range or premium gas? I have tried all three but my truck only has 4 tanks in her so far. The premium was the worst. The only Mod I have done is a Borla Exhaust. The first tank I got about 22 mpg but that was highway mileage. My Premium tank was 16.4 mpg. OUCH. That was all short trips to work and around town.
Thanks,
Yes, there is already a huge thread on this. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/report-your-mpg.1829/

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Thanks,
short trips in town will tank the mileage, has nothing to do with octane. the effect tends to be worse in colder weather in my experience. you might get a little more mileage on average with higher octane, but the effect doesn't tend to be dramatic and probably won't pay for itself unless your premium is really cheap. (but it might be more fun if you like to step on the gas--though that will also kill the mileage.)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm going to start by saying it really depends alot on your differnt driving conditions. I myself have seen quite a few differnt conditions with my truck.

HWY at 80MPH...... Around 16 to 18 at best.....

HWY around 60-70 as long as consistent, 22-28 depending on various conditions.

Stop and go city traffic...... Well.... It uses fuel...

Now you might wonder what is done to my truck. I have done the following. Old Man EMU lift with 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's and the Livernois tow tune. If it matters i removed the factory valance and installed the FX4 skid plates. When i still lived in Leadville I could average roughly 23.5 going to work and back.

Hope this helps.

sal33n

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio, 2016 Mustang GT
I just came back from an Orlando vacation last weekend. According to the trip computer, my average from Dayton, OH area to Orlando was 22mpg. This was pretty much all highway driving (I-75) and cruise set between 78-80mph for most of the trip. From Dayton area to North Georgia my average was about 21.6 but when the geography changed to flat roads and the mountains went away it started going up and hit 22.1 by the time I was in Orlando. I have seen the mpg be much better when driving below 70mph but was willing to sacrifice fuel economy so I could get their quicker.

I am I correct that highway mpg from the manufactures is calculated at 55mph on a level/flat road?

-edit:
My vehicle is a Lariat SuperCrew FX4 with a Livernois 91-93 Tune and AWE 0FG exhaust.

OP
OP
MXGOLF

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Thanks for your thoughts. I know we have really crappy gas in Oregon so that doesn't help at all. The winter blend of gas is bad on mileage. My truck just turned 1500 miles so the jury is still out. I think I will try a few tanks of plus and a few of premium and see if that shakes out one way or the other.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
FYI, it does take some time for the OAR to react to a change in fuel, so bouncing back and forth between different types won't give you any meaningful data.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
2019 regular pump gas 55,000+ miles...running with camp gear at over 5,000 lbs and still kicks ass off the line... ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thanks,
RWD or 4x4?​
Sport Mode driving a lot?​

Ours is a 2019 SuperCab FX4 XL STX. It's bone stock except for a pair of Shrockworks Sliders which adds a couple hundred pounds.

I haven't reset the "Trip 1" odometer since we bought the truck new in Sept 2019 and it shows 25+ MPG over 12,000 miles.

Top Tier fuel only. 93 or 91 octane depending on which is sold at that station.

Rarely ever use sport mode but try once a week to do a Tony's Tune Up: mash it to the floor and run it up to 70 mph from a dead stop.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
RWD or 4x4?​
Sport Mode driving a lot?​

Ours is a 2019 SuperCab FX4 XL STX. It's bone stock except for a pair of Shrockworks Sliders which adds a couple hundred pounds.

I haven't reset the "Trip 1" odometer since we bought the truck new in Sept 2019 and it shows 25+ MPG over 12,000 miles.

Top Tier fuel only. 93 or 91 octane depending on which is sold at that station.

Rarely ever use sport mode but try once a week to do a Tony's Tune Up: mash it to the floor and run it up to 70 mph from a dead stop.
I don't know how much I would trust the truck computer numbers. Heard from a lot of members that they universally run high by varying amounts versus calculated MPGs. Many members have read-calibrated their truck to match their calculated value. I personally was running between 18 to 20 in the summer with 87 octane, that is calculated. Varied depending on mix of city to highway. I did run several tanks of 91 octane, best we get around here. Did gain 1 to 2 MPG, not enough to offset the 30% premium in cost or in minimal noticed performance gain. Towing my 4000 lb camper it dropped to between 11 and 12. Don't even want to talk about mileage now that winter has kick in with sucky gas and remote starts in the morning. ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I don't know how much I would trust the truck computer numbers. Heard from a lot of members that they universally run high by varying amounts versus calculated MPGs. Many members have read-calibrated their truck to match their calculated value. I personally was running between 18 to 20 in the summer with 87 octane, that is calculated. Varied depending on mix of city to highway. I did run several tanks of 91 octane, best we get around here. Did gain 1 to 2 MPG, not enough to offset the 30% premium in cost or in minimal noticed performance gain. Towing my 4000 lb camper it dropped to between 11 and 12. Don't even want to talk about mileage now that winter has kick in with sucky gas and remote starts in the morning. ?
I've run the numbers manually... a dozen times. it's never off by more than 1 mpg on my truck.

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
2020 Sport 4x4
2" level w/bigger tires
91 Performance tune from 5Star

91oct
15mpg

Truck has 4,500 miles on it. Traction control light randomly flashes and it sounds like my front passenger wheel bearing is squeaking. Sometimes when you turn left the electronic steering assist makes noise.
But oh-well, it was $10k cheaper than a comparable Tacoma and the Ford has a lot more power...

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I've run the numbers manually... a dozen times. it's never off by more than 1 mpg on my truck.
Not doubting you, but you very lucky to be averaging 25+ in all seasons and all driving situations for 12,000 miles.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Not doubting you, but you very lucky to be averaging 25+ in all seasons and all driving situations for 12,000 miles.
It's not luck, it's driving style and altitude. Turbo's seem to like it up here at 8,000 feet.
Sponsored