First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Whether you are splitting hairs or not doesn't matter but you are interpreting incorrectly what the manual states: Your vehicle is designed to run on regular unleaded on 87 ... therefore excluding those areas where < 87 is available. Later it states you will get higher performance from 91 octane. It does not state that basically premium is recommended but regular will suffice not that it was designed for premium but will adjust for lower.

There is no empirical proof that premium will make it last longer just as there is none that shows that top tier fuel will make it last longer. Studies are rarely unbiased and statistics can be sampled to put a spin on anything. But hey, I'm happy you are rocking along using higher octane and I'm happy I'm not ... everybody wins. Between this, the oil change thread and the threw a rod thread ... it appears to me that we all need to get out and enjoy the truck more and spend less time on the internet. Y'all have a great day!
If you look at the post directly above yours I did correct that.

You're correct that there is no empirical proof. But knowing how the system works one can come to a logical conclusion.

Be happy with what you choose sure. Doesn't mean you can't hold an opinion. I for one don't have the income to buy a new $40k truck every 5 years or 6 years.

The average vehicle in the US is owned for 6 years. Basically until the loan and warranty is up. I don't operate that way. My vehicles stay with me a minimum of a decade. And I keep them in good fluids and fuel to do so. Does my YJ get premium? Nope. Howabout my wife's NA CX-5? Nope. But my 2 turbo'd vehicles do.
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I just switched from 87 to 89 octane but I only put in half a tank - so 87? I'm eager to see if there is a difference, but with covid, it might be 2 months before I swap out all of the gas in the tank to get it to a TRUE 89 octane.

In Prescott AZ there is an Ethanol Free station I gas up at but they only have 87 octane in the E-0 flavor. I get fantastic mileage on that stuff but will have t see if it is as good at 89 E-10.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I just switched from 87 to 89 octane but I only put in half a tank - so 87? I'm eager to see if there is a difference, but with covid, it might be 2 months before I swap out all of the gas in the tank to get it to a TRUE 89 octane.

In Prescott AZ there is an Ethanol Free station I gas up at but they only have 87 octane in the E-0 flavor. I get fantastic mileage on that stuff but will have t see if it is as good at 89 E-10.
Personally, I can't speak to the performance changes from 87 to 89. I would guess its minimal if at all noticeable.

I can speak to the move from 87 to 93 and I will say - WOW! Like you are aware, it took several tanks to fully flush out the lower octane fuel but at that time, I was driving a lot so I was able to run the tank to empty twice, before filling it up so I knew it was pure 93.

I hope you notice the difference as I did. I was impressive.

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
Personally, I can't speak to the performance changes from 87 to 89. I would guess its minimal if at all noticeable.

I can speak to the move from 87 to 93 and I will say - WOW! Like you are aware, it took several tanks to fully flush out the lower octane fuel but at that time, I was driving a lot so I was able to run the tank to empty twice, before filling it up so I knew it was pure 93.

Anyone ever use an octane booster? If so, did you notice a difference in power or miles per gallon?

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
I wouldn't use MMT based octane booster on anything with cats, or any engine that you don't plan on regularly changing plugs on.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I check my gas mileage every time I fill up. I dont ever get the same MPG. It varies depending how I drive. So, in order to get a real average you have to check over time and thousands of miles.
As Phil the Ford engineer said Ford tests for 150 thousand miles and for 90% of drivers. I am assuming that it doesnt apply to the 10% who are idiots. I would suggest that 10% is a little light. :crackup:

PL8SWPR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT, '18 Mustang GT, '14 Ford Explorer
My Mustang GT and Ranger both have the same, min 87, 91 recommended language in the book. The Mustang always gets at least 89. Around here, 91 is hard to find at any Top Tier stations so I'll mix 89 and 93 in an every other tank cycle where I leave a few gallons in the bottom to mix old and new. I never use off brand gas - only Top Tier.

Ranger just hit 1,000 miles with the wife just getting back from a trip with it. I'm sure the dealer used 87. I will probably run 89 in it most times. Recent large gas tax hikes (17 cents in 2 years) in Virginia and the recent price spikes makes the higher octanes hurt that much more.

raymonda70

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Sr.Buyer - Toshiba-Mitsubishi Electrical
Vehicle Showcase
I have literally never checked fuel/gas mileage in any auto I've ever owned until I became a member on this forum. With that in mind, I have done it on the Ranger a couple times now. You people getting 20+ must be fibbing a bit or are some tender foot driving fools who get honked at for driving 15 under the speed limit! My MPG is hardly hitting 16 mpg!
Mine is also just around 16-17mpg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager

Yeah But...
I'm told (may be old logic) that when you go up in elevation (Lower Ox Sat), you need to burn lower Octane to keep the power, especially low end torque. Since I live at 1,800 feet and go down as low as 1,100 feet and up to 5,000 feet with occasional trips to 7,600 feet (and one trip up to about 10,000 feet), I try to keep the more universal 87 flowing.

Or does the turbo negate that?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Did you know that the owners manual says what fuel to use? Here is a cut-n-paste from the manual: (most of the highlighting is mine)

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle warranty.​
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing (page 219).​
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.​
We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, refer to www.toptiergas.com.​
Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.​
Do not use:​
•Diesel fuel.​
•Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.​
•Fuel containing more than 15% ethanolor E85 fuel.​
•Fuels containing methanol.​
•Fuels containing metallic-basedadditives, including manganese-basedcompounds.​
•Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienylmanganese tricarbonyl (MMT).​
•Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law. The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienylmanganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engineper formance and affect the emission control system.​
This is my source for the above information: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ger-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN_10_2019.pdf

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I love coming into this forum for information, but these fuel and oil posts are where the crazies seem to congregate.

@BassRanger posted the NHTSA study on the topic on Page 3 and I'll throw Consumer Reports' study in here as well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/fue...-billions-of-dollars-buying-premium-gasoline/

Maybe you notice a difference, but the difference will be minimal and the butt dyno is giving you placebo. I studied this extensively a few years ago and everything I read that was verifiable by science said to use the octane required by the manufacturer.

Those studies also said that the bigger thing is to buy Top Tier gas. Each gas vendor has their own "brand" of gas. Additives, detergents, etc. Top Tier fuels have to answer to regulatory powers, whereas those not on the list do not. Will non-Top Tier gas nuke an engine? Eh, probably not. But if I have a choice, I'm going to buy the octane that's recommended by the manufacturer at a station that has to answer to regulatory scientists. https://www.toptiergas.com/why_top_tier/

Also, stop being assholes online to other people. Y'all are grown men and women.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I love coming into this forum for information, but these fuel and oil posts are where the crazies seem to congregate.

@BassRanger posted the NHTSA study on the topic on Page 3 and I'll throw Consumer Reports' study in here as well.

https://www.consumerreports.org/fue...-billions-of-dollars-buying-premium-gasoline/

Maybe you notice a difference, but the difference will be minimal and the butt dyno is giving you placebo. I studied this extensively a few years ago and everything I read that was verifiable by science said to use the octane required by the manufacturer.

Those studies also said that the bigger thing is to buy Top Tier gas. Each gas vendor has their own "brand" of gas. Additives, detergents, etc. Top Tier fuels have to answer to regulatory powers, whereas those not on the list do not. Will non-Top Tier gas nuke an engine? Eh, probably not. But if I have a choice, I'm going to buy the octane that's recommended by the manufacturer at a station that has to answer to regulatory scientists. https://www.toptiergas.com/why_top_tier/

Also, stop being assholes online to other people. Y'all are grown men and women.
All gas sold in the US is regulated by the EPA. Top Tier is a label discerning the fuel companies that have more additives than necessary to meet the EPA standards. That label is not sponsored by the EPA.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
All gas sold in the US is regulated by the EPA. Top Tier is a label discerning the fuel companies that have more additives than necessary to meet the EPA standards. That label is not sponsored by the EPA.
It's written and designed by major auto manufacturers (not our friends in the government), and backed by data and science. Again, I'm not saying that your local Sheetz or Wawa or Royal Farms or Buc-ees has bad gas and should be avoided. I am saying that my choice will be the local Exxon station over the local Wawa, because I trust the Top Tier system.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
I use mid grade Shell for whatever that is worth; however I do "average" 24.6 mpg 50/50 city/highway. I hyper mile when possible.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
It's written and designed by major auto manufacturers (not our friends in the government), and backed by data and science. Again, I'm not saying that your local Sheetz or Wawa or Royal Farms or Buc-ees has bad gas and should be avoided. I am saying that my choice will be the local Exxon station over the local Wawa, because I trust the Top Tier system.
My point is the EPA does regulate non TT fuels. You said differently.
Sponsored