First Name
Geoffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger xlt crewcab
Occupation
Longhole Driller
Hi, I recently bought a 2022 ford ranger. I went to Kal tire to price out a set of steel wheels and winter tires, and then went to my local ford dealer to see if they could match the price. They initially would not give me a price on steel rims, claiming that “ ford doesn’t recommend steel wheels and that they could potentially void my warranty”, is there any truth to this? Seems like a bunch of BS considering the xl trim comes with steel wheels from the factory. I should add the steel wheels kal quoted me are the same offset and meet the axle load requirement of the truck. Thanks in advance, Geoff
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
HORSE???????!!!!!
Stock size wheels will not void the warranty.
I believe the only time a wheel would void a warranty would be if the wheels were so outrageous in their size or offset that it might put the hub/bearings at risk of failure.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That's why Ford mounts steels wheels on all their cop cars...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Hi, I recently bought a 2022 ford ranger. I went to Kal tire to price out a set of steel wheels and winter tires, and then went to my local ford dealer to see if they could match the price. They initially would not give me a price on steel rims, claiming that “ ford doesn’t recommend steel wheels and that they could potentially void my warranty”, is there any truth to this? Seems like a bunch of BS considering the xl trim comes with steel wheels from the factory. I should add the steel wheels kal quoted me are the same offset and meet the axle load requirement of the truck. Thanks in advance, Geoff
i can assure you the dealer is so full of shit there eyes are gonna turn brown. dealers are almost as slimy and dirty as dc politicians. Ford even sells several models with steel wheels including the ranger! The dealer wants to sell you overpriced wheels . steel wheels typically cost about 30% less than all other types. Ive owned about 10 fords over the years and almost all of them came with at least one steel wheel from the factory if not a full set and, fully covered by the warranty. However, a warranty is only as good as the dealer you have to use. so sounds like at this point you have no warranty. dont feel alone. Im under warranty still but i dont have a decent dealer in my area so im screwed too. go back to the dealer, fart in the managers office as loud and nasty as you can and then walk out screaming dont touch me perverts...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
forgot to mention that several members here are driving rangers here that came with steel wheels - full sets -from the factory ! They even have the lil ford emblem in the steel with the size lol.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
The Magnuson Moss Act states that it is illegal for a vehicle manufactuer or dealership to void a warranty just because a part has been installed. The manufacturer or dealership may only void the warray if they are able to prove the aftermarket part caused or contributed damage to the vehicle. Even then, warranty to the impacted componenet(s) is the only portion of the warranty that may be voided. In this case, all other parts of the vehicle remain under warranty.

Great read on this and the service you can expect from the dealership from a Jeep site.

Frank

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Dealer is FOS. ?
Base XL Rangers come with steel wheels from the factory.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I hate dealer’s sometimes - such BS. It’s too bad you don’t really have much choice up there in Timmin’s Geoff. If you’re down near Orillia, Thor Motors is great. I know it’s still a million miles away but thought I’d put it out there.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
that sounds like the dumbest dealer ive ever heard of..... my dealer loves my truck and has said nothing about what ive done would void my warranty....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Geoff,

Total BS....Move on from Kal Tire... Magnuson Moss act covers your steel wheel wish... Shove this into the face of Kal Tire...who ever they are....

Best,
Phil

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru
why steel wheels ? there is plenty of take off people are selling \.........

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yeah the Ford dealer you went to clearly knows nothing about the Ranger on har the XL clearly comes with Steel wheels. Also as long as the Offest is Factory how would it cause an issue?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
why steel wheels ? there is plenty of take off people are selling \.........
I have seen a few sets of nice aluminum wheels in the members market are for sale so that is a good point. but the steels are cool too. most of the steels are cheap simple and tough. so if someone needs a set of winter tires and does not want to swap the tires on and off over and over or a weekend set of mudders etc.