Sport to Park @ 45mph, why on earth is there no lockout?!

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
What I didn’t know was that it didn’t require the trigger to be pulled to move from S to N, which is apparently why it didn’t hit the lockout.
Not quite true. If your desire was to go from S to N, you WOULD need to use the trigger lever. But that is troublesome as you would have to be careful to not go past N. The S to D does not need the trigger pull as it is already held released and would the detent would fall in when your reached N. Then the trigger would be needed to continue to N.

I take a little practice to learn when to release the trigger if you want to go straight from S to N.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
So last week, I went to shift up from sport to normal as I was done having fun and wanted to cruise. Like butter, the shifter went right past normal into neutral, causing me to rev very high. quite the scare.

Well, today the same thing happened, only it slipped directly into park, locking the shifter into park at 45mph. Got to listen to the parking pawl banging around while having to roll out of moving traffic as I tried to get the shifter back into drive. finally came to a stop and managed to shift back into gear. Anyone else ever do this? With under 1k miles on this Ranger I am quite worried about the long term ramifications of this few moments of terror. Why on earth does this thing allow the shifter to move into reverse or park while moving??
It certainly shouldn’t do that. Never tried to do so nor will I. Definitely not a cause, but owner-to-owner, I would like to add that making sure you adhere to break-in recommendations in the manual is a good idea. Others may have more info than I do on the why part.

OP
OP
Plaidfinger

Plaidfinger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Black package
It certainly shouldn’t do that. Never tried to do so nor will I. Definitely not a cause, but owner-to-owner, I would like to add that making sure you adhere to break-in recommendations in the manual is a good idea. Others may have more info than I do on the why part.
That was actually part of the reason I was moving between sport and normal. During break in I’ve always driven a manual and varying RPMs is necessary. These things will run at 1500 RPM all day so I would switch to sport to raise the RPMs just slightly higher, drive a few miles and then lower back to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
To go from D to N you must pull trigger release.

To go from S to D just push the selector (shifter) forward. Stay off the trigger and all you need is your finger power. At most wrist force. This move does not require elbow force and certainly not shoulder power.

Learn the movements of the gear selector in the driveway not at 45 mph.

OP
OP
Plaidfinger

Plaidfinger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Black package
To go from D to N you must pull trigger release.

To go from S to D just push the selector (shifter) forward. Stay off the trigger and all you need is your finger power. At most wrist force. This move does not require elbow force and certainly not shoulder power.

Learn the movements of the gear selector in the driveway not at 45 mph.
Once again, this was not an issue of force,after reading the very first replies here it was evident the problem was that I was pulling the trigger which removed the lockout. I wasn’t jamming the thing into gear. It take surprisingly little force to upshift this thing. Other autos I’ve driven that have a sport mode will typically have a shift to the right or left to engage that rather than up or down. Just glad it didn’t go worse. Now it’s just the unknown of what unseen damage happened. Hopefully none but who knows.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
What I didn’t know was that it didn’t require the trigger to be pulled to move from S to N, which is apparently why it didn’t hit the lockout. I still think it’s a bit crazy that even with the trigger pressed, you can shift from drive into reverse or park.
If you mentioned this originally you probably wouldn’t have gotten some of the replies you’re getting.

This is not something for the dealer to investigate for you. This was hopefully an “oopsie” learning moment for you and all reading.

It sounds like you were able to stop before things got really broken so that’s good ?.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I thought newer vehicles had electronic lockouts if you put it into park while driving?

This guy does it with a newer Ford at 65 mph. Guess our trucks are different?
I always wonder what they do with these cars after they do these stupid things to them making a video. I guess trade them in and then some sucker buys it from a used car dealer.

Last edited:

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I still think it’s a bit crazy that even with the trigger pressed, you can shift from drive into reverse or park.

How in the hell would you park your truck at home when your done driving with regard to what you just wrote?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I always wonder what they do with these cars after they do these stupid things to them making a video. I guess trade them in and then some sucker buys it from a used car dealer.
Carvana. lol
Sponsored