Is there any disadvantage to a SuperCab?

thetrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none yet
Other than space (cabin and bed), is there any disadvantage for the SuperCab? Aren't they all rated the same for everything other than trim level and the cab size? I will be towing eventually.

Before I make a 30K+ mistake, any help is appreciated. I don't need 4door. 2021 xlt
Sponsored

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
If you need the longer bed and no passengers in the back seat, then the supercab is the way to go. I have had mine for over a year and don't ever regret getting the supercab. As a bonus, my 700 ATV fits in the back with no problem

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I love my supercab. I've had a grown @$$ buddy squeeze in back for a trip to the parts store an he survived. I'm sure the specs are the same except maybe the SuperCab is a tad lighter and might have a little more payload.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Other than space (cabin and bed), is there any disadvantage for the SuperCab? Aren't they all rated the same for everything other than trim level and the cab size? I will be towing eventually.

Before I make a 30K+ mistake, any help is appreciated. I don't need 4door. 2021 xlt
Payload is almost identical for either, towing is the same for either. 6 foot bed is better than a 5 foot bed...
BUT...if you are planning on having anyone at all in the back for any length of time, or on a regular basis, than a crew is much better. Rear seat area in a supercab is laughable at best and is not ment for human use in any way/shape/form.
Many on forum use it for storage, or convert it by removing seats and using home made platforms/storage units.
I have a supercab, but it is just wife and I, and 2 small pups. I converted rear to a platform with doggie seats...no humans allowed.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I absolutely love my SCAB. It's usually just me or one passenger. I really like the 6' bed as I do a lot of camping and have a lot of stuff. I have had a few people in the back for very short trips or to the airport and no major complaints except they would not want to ride back there for a long trip. Small kids are ok back there and seem to actually like it. I am 6'1" and it's too small for me for any trip.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
The front doors on the SCAB are 5” longer. If you’re tall it really makes mount and dismount easier. I’ve owned both and really like the bigger doors/openings. Down side of the SCAB door configuration for me is that it makes loading groceries awkward when in a parking lot with other vehicles due to the rear suicide doors. I also like the extra rear cab space in the SCREW when traveling although that can be easily fixed with dry bed storage solutions. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Just my $.02.

WesternFlyer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX 4x4
Occupation
Flying High
Vehicle Showcase
I like the classic configuration of the 6 ft bed with a smaller cab. Still happy I went with the longer bed. (Small) People could sit in the rear seats, but I’ve never had any one volunteer to sit in the back. If I needed to transport more people than myself, I would have gotten a SuperCrew.

Towing will not change between the SuperCrew and the SuperCab. 7500 pounds either way.

The SuperCab has ~100 lbs more payload capacity than the SuperCrew.

The SuperCab has larger front doors by a few inches.

Someone else can correct me, but if you get the fancy B&O speakers, the SuperCab does not come with the subwoofer (?)

Can’t go wrong either way!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If you care at all, I don’t think you can get the the B&O sound system (if it’s even available with XLT) in the SuperCab. Having seen one recently, I would order with the rear seat deleted.
I don't believe the rear seat delete is available on the higher end supercabs, only the entry level trucks, and even then I think it's a special order.
But, the parts for the rear seat delete run about $300...I did it to my Lariat.

a33maxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Just make sure the rear seatbelt/child restraint recall has been done. Back in November, I walked into a dealer ready to buy a Supercab that was sitting on their lot. However, they couldn't sell it to me because of the recall, and the updated part to fix it was on indefinite backorder with no ETA. Two months later and the truck is still stuck on their lot.

Last edited:

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Sometimes it's nice to have a 6' foot bed. Most times a 5' bed is more than sufficient. But that all depends on your needs.

4 full doors is the most useful for most average people, even if you don't plan on carrying passengers. Having that extra room inside the cab is very useful.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
The only downside is there are no supercab tremors, and on the 2022 build and price the splash packages and editions only come in supercrew. But I love the larger doors. I am looking for a used one for one of my boys, and supercabs seem to sit longer on the lots.
Sponsored