Is there any disadvantage to a SuperCab?

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I've probably owned a dozen pick up's of various manufacturer's in the past 60 years, most were Ford's, but a few GM and Dodge's.....and not one was a crew cab. Most were regular cab's with if I remember, 3 were super or extended cab's.
I just have no need at all for a "4 door" truck, and would not buy one.
My present Scab will, at my age, probably be my last "new" vehicle....but if I ever need a new truck, and Ford doesn't produce a 2 door or Scab type, than another make will get my $$$$$.
Sponsored

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Not a surprise considering that last year Ford announced that they'd be discontinuing the SuperCab for the F-150 in Lariat trim. Over the last 20 years, Crew Cabs went from being considered work trucks to family haulers and standard and supercabs became the work trucks. The reality is that after SUVs largely morphed into "crossovers", Crew Cab pickups replaced them as the standard suburban family hauler and that's where the vast majority of sales are now at.

When the time comes to replace my Ranger, it looks like it will not be with another Ford.

veedubtuner

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32/2023 CG XLT Scab FX4 Ranger
Occupation
VW Parts
Vehicle Showcase
I myself chose a S/Cab in my 2020 Lariat for several reasons, I don't need 4 conventional doors, the bed length was important to me and the profile of the truck looks more "sporty", if you will.
Same, except 2023 XLT

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
In and around the Boston area that I live I would venture a guess that the ratio of crew cabs to super cabs is 10+:1 in favor of the crew cab. Also, the super cabs I do see tend to be lower trim levels which would suggest that the motivation to buy a super cab is more motivated by price than the extra foot of bed length. I am quite sure that the bean counters decided that there is not enough return on the investment to bother with the super cab in the US. Likely the same reason for not offering a 6' bed with the crew cab.

FWIW, I have owned 6 trucks over the past 50 years. Four of them had 6.5' or 6' beds and two have had 5' beds. Not once have I had an occasion to wish I had a longer bed than the 5 footer in my last two. BUT, I don't think I could go back to a regular bed or super cab after having a pickup with 4 full doors.
"... motivation to buy a super cab is more..."

Motivated to get more done! Yeah baby, dump runs 4ever! =D

As a lower trim level scab, I can say I like doing truckie things in my truck - woohoo!

I'm kidding you, the Ranger is so versatile that it can fill many needs (or many landfills, as the case may be!). =p

And sometimes I just have to pause and look at it, I love it so much. Just yesterday I was walking out of sLowes and had to stop to take this pic.

And if it wasn't for the window deflectors, I'd peel off that B-pillar sticker to show more Race Red!

20240130_151240.jpg

And if anyone has a different opinion, beware, before that AZBugGuy left, he turned me on to this ultimate difference-of-opinion-settler mod:

good thing he ain't here no more, look at that dust and filth!
20240130_143317.jpg

I do miss him though ... (but my wallet doesn't) =D
1706739419695.png

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
The bed is too long and high for reaching things that slide to the front after slamming on the brakes :giggle:. Gonna need to carry a ladder and that occupies the extra cubic feet gained :yawn:.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I know I commented in this thread, but not gonna read 15 pages again.

I'm shocked, but I guess not shocked at the f-150 dumping scab in Lariat trim. I searched far and wide for my scab lariat, bought it on-line and drove 3 hours to pick it up. I don't have kids, don't need 4 doors, and wanted a 6 foot bed. I wish it had the B&O sound, but honestly, I don't miss it. Guess I'll have to keep this one until the buzzards start circling. Or, maybe another maker will have one that I like when that time comes.

The bed is too long and high for reaching things that slide to the front after slamming on the brakes :giggle:. Gonna need to carry a ladder and that occupies the extra cubic feet gained :yawn:.

I put a bestop step on mine, best upgrade ever for my old man knees.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I loved my supercab but I started picking up my grandkids occasionally an I'm usually the designated driver. My friends always complained, then the grandkids got a little older an started to complain so I got a bronco. This was summer 2023. If I had bought a crewcab I would probably still be rockin the ranger. I looked around for a 4 dr tremor but wasn't having any luck at the time.

Guess I'm saying if you haul stuff more than people get the crewcab, if not get the cooler looking supercrew!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
in 2010 when Ford was hemorrhaging cash, they realized some plants needed to be shut down and other models pushed back. Ranger was easy; they were built at Twin City Assembly (second oldest plant in the inventory), and Edison NJ, which had its own inefficiencies. Focus was built at MAP at the time, and still popular.There was no place to move Ranger. As early as 2015, Ideas were rolling around to bring back the Bronco. Also, Australia production was to cease and move to Thailand. Plans were finalized to ship the tooling to MAP, and build the 5G ranger and a Bronco In 2018. Tthe Focus was discontinued in NA, freeing up a plant for the two.
As far as other configurations for Ranger, It may be a case for the old Buck Rodgers (I think) song:
"I was looking back to see,
If you were looking back to see
If I was looking back to see
If you were looking back at me"

A few things come to mind:Ford was going all in on EV in 2022, GM much the same.
  • I think that both of their espionage departments surmised that neither was going to offer nothing but SuperCrew/5' box initially. On Ford's part, that meant more funds for Blue Oval City etc.
  • Ford also laid off 8,000 salaried workers at that time, many of which were engineers, so fewer people to do ICE production engineering
  • The T6 modular frame can have different sections to accommodate I-4s and V6s, and different lengths for 2dr & 4dr Broncos, and presumably SuperCab & SuperCrew/6'box.
  • Ford certainly is watching the take rate of Frontier's and Tacoma's different configurations.
  • Ranger sales are dead last in midsize trucks in NA, due to apathy mostly. Maybe at current volumes they can't make money on other configurations at this time.
in 2010 when Ford was hemorrhaging cash, they realized some plants needed to be shut down and other models pushed back. Ranger was easy; they were built at Twin City Assembly (second oldest plant in the inventory), and Edison NJ, which had its own inefficiencies. Focus was built at MAP at the time, and still popular.There was no place to move Ranger. As early as 2015, Ideas were rolling around to bring back the Bronco. Also, Australia production was to cease and move to Thailand. Plans were finalized to ship the tooling to MAP, and build the 5G ranger and a Bronco In 2018. Tthe Focus was discontinued in NA, freeing up a plant for the two.
As far as other configurations for Ranger, It may be a case for the old Buck Rodgers (I think) song:
"I was looking back to see,
If you were looking back to see
If I was looking back to see
If you were looking back at me"

A few things come to mind:Ford was going all in on EV in 2022, GM much the same.
  • I think that both of their espionage departments surmised that neither was going to offer nothing but SuperCrew/5' box initially. On Ford's part, that meant more funds for Blue Oval City etc.
  • Ford also laid off 8,000 salaried workers at that time, many of which were engineers, so fewer people to do ICE production engineering
  • The T6 modular frame can have different sections to accommodate I-4s and V6s, and different lengths for 2dr & 4dr Broncos, and presumably SuperCab & SuperCrew/6'box.
  • Ford certainly is watching the take rate of Frontier's and Tacoma's different configurations.
  • Ranger sales are dead last in midsize trucks in NA, due to apathy mostly. Maybe at current volumes they can't make money on other configurations at this time.
Sponsored