Sport to Park @ 45mph, why on earth is there no lockout?!

OP
OP
Plaidfinger

Plaidfinger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Black package
How in the hell would you park your truck at home when your done driving with regard to what you just wrote?
Because it’s 2021 and if the car is in motion, it shouldn’t allow the shifter to move into reverse or park while moving. A manual transmission has a reverse lockout for this exact reason.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
At work I had a pair of 21 Rams last winter with rotating free spin dial transmission selector, which was completely electronic. It would engage the parking brake and slam it in park if you had doors open at low speed. Not gently either, harsh abrupt full wheel lock.

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Lariat Supercrew; '21 MX-5 Miata
Occupation
Retired Military/Law enforcement
Once again, this was not an issue of force,after reading the very first replies here it was evident the problem was that I was pulling the trigger which removed the lockout. I wasn’t jamming the thing into gear. It take surprisingly little force to upshift this thing. Other autos I’ve driven that have a sport mode will typically have a shift to the right or left to engage that rather than up or down. Just glad it didn’t go worse. Now it’s just the unknown of what unseen damage happened. Hopefully none but who knows.
Is this your first Ford ? I ask as the A10 in the Mustang is the same. IMHO, the sport mode is truly useless. All it does is reduce ones fuel economy.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Is this your first Ford ? I ask as the A10 in the Mustang is the same. IMHO, the sport mode is truly useless. All it does is reduce ones fuel economy.
Ha,
Where you From ……

OP
OP
Plaidfinger

Plaidfinger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve owned dozens of fords. I also currently own a Shelby GT350. All have been manual so I’m not familiar with the A10. I can say though that the sport mode does have a significant impact on the driving feel of the Ranger. Shift points and throttle are much more responsive and yes, any time the fun factor or power are increased, I would expect an equal and opposite reduction in fuel economy. I’m not an inexperienced driver or some jackpop that was trying to drive a mid sized pickup like I was auditioning for the next Fast and Furious movie, I was breaking in my new truck by varying rpm, using the driving modes provided in a very reasonable way, and clearly made an error in how the shifter itself functions. As I read the replies here, I quickly learned the source of the error, which was pulling the trigger on the shifter for both upward and downward shifts, causing a scary scenario. I came here assuming there were experienced owners who might shed light on what happened, which some did. Always have to sift through the replies that assume anyone who doesn’t know something they do is a moron. That’s just how the internet works I suppose.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It shouldn’t allow the shifter to move past neutral, right?
There's another thread here where folks say you can be driving down the road and shift into Reverse to use the backup Camera to look behind you... and in doing so it will not damage the transmission...

I don't have the balls to try it...

MikeyTX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Lariat Supercrew; '21 MX-5 Miata
Occupation
Retired Military/Law enforcement
I truly miss my HEP GT350. I'd still have it if it weren't for my medical issues. Sure wish it had the A10 in my Mach1.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Plaidfinger

Plaidfinger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I truly miss my HEP GT350. I'd still have it if it weren't for my medical issues. Sure wish it had the A10 in my Mach1.
Mine is an HEP and it’s truly a special car! Love the Mach 1 though as well!!

Reactions: Doc

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another tidbit on the A10. If I were you wanting the varying of the rpm for break in, I wouldn't even consider sport mode for the first 1K.
Use the +- on the side of the shifter and stay in D. You can lock out any gear you want and monitor the tach.
I too was surprised at Ford with having to trigger into N from D but now I completely understand due to the S mode to D concept.
Other than that, this was a very confusing thread.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Here's another tidbit on the A10. If I were you wanting the varying of the rpm for break in, I wouldn't even consider sport mode for the first 1K.
Use the +- on the side of the shifter and stay in D. You can lock out any gear you want and monitor the tach.
I too was surprised at Ford with having to trigger into N from D but now I completely understand due to the S mode to D concept.
Other than that, this was a very confusing thread.
Good advice !

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I’ve owned dozens of fords. I also currently own a Shelby GT350. All have been manual so I’m not familiar with the A10. I can say though that the sport mode does have a significant impact on the driving feel of the Ranger. Shift points and throttle are much more responsive and yes, any time the fun factor or power are increased, I would expect an equal and opposite reduction in fuel economy. I’m not an inexperienced driver or some jackpop that was trying to drive a mid sized pickup like I was auditioning for the next Fast and Furious movie, I was breaking in my new truck by varying rpm, using the driving modes provided in a very reasonable way, and clearly made an error in how the shifter itself functions. As I read the replies here, I quickly learned the source of the error, which was pulling the trigger on the shifter for both upward and downward shifts, causing a scary scenario. I came here assuming there were experienced owners who might shed light on what happened, which some did. Always have to sift through the replies that assume anyone who doesn’t know something they do is a moron. That’s just how the internet works I suppose.
jeezus…