Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Pics or video.... or are ya pullin' our collective chains ? ? :p
Awww man! I wish I could take a video, but sadly the duck had to go home.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Regardless of what others may say if the system was not designed to run an open blow off valve then you will loose performance even with a blow off valve that plumbs back 50%. How you ask? Simple. The whole reason behind it is to keep the turbocharger spinning and create less lag when the throttle is closed shut under boost. Any air let out to make noise will be waisted energy and create lag. How much lag you ask? It all depends but I would not run any blow off valve that vents to the atmosphere what so ever since it isnt designed too.

Snow3d

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Subaru Forester XT
Occupation
Human
...what @Frenchy said. Plus the potentiality for long term fuel trim issues. Any air lost that is not accounted for will have the fuel adjusted accordingly. Best not to do it without tuning for it bare minimum.

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
...what @Frenchy said. Plus the potentiality for long term fuel trim issues. Any air lost that is not accounted for will have the fuel adjusted accordingly. Best not to do it without tuning for it bare minimum.
This would be correct is our engine uses a MAF but it doesn't. Our engines use a MAP sensor which takes it's info at the manifold. It does not care what type of BOV you have and there will be no fuel issues with the engine.

Also, the spooling thing is not an issue with our trucks because they are all Automatics unless you are in sports mode, manually shifting around a track or something strange like that. I think 99.9999% will never tell the difference. I think it's ran that way because most people who buy a Ranger don't want to hear it.

I run a Turbosmart which is the best of both worlds. It recirculates when normal driving but you can hear it when you get on it. Also, it will only void the warranty if Ford can 100% say the bov caused the issue. It's like a 10 min. job to install so, if you need to bring it in for warranty work, just put the stock one back on.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
This would be correct is our engine uses a MAF but it doesn't. Our engines use a MAP sensor which takes it's info at the manifold. It does not care what type of BOV you have and there will be no fuel issues with the engine.

Also, the spooling thing is not an issue with our trucks because they are all Automatics unless you are in sports mode, manually shifting around a track or something strange like that. I think 99.9999% will never tell the difference. I think it's ran that way because most people who buy a Ranger don't want to hear it.

I run a Turbosmart which is the best of both worlds. It recirculates when normal driving but you can hear it when you get on it. Also, it will only void the warranty if Ford can 100% say the bov caused the issue. It's like a 10 min. job to install so, if you need to bring it in for warranty work, just put the stock one back on.
Facts right here...

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
I’m ordering a BOV right after my spinners come in.

Cool, anything you don't like is stupid? I'm sure that'll keep me awake at night.

I've learned a long time ago that anybody who has an interest in cars is cool by me even if I'm not into whatever they like. There are plenty of people trying to pass laws outlawing certain cars or our ability to work/modify our own cars so the more people that are into the hobby, the better off we are as a community. By looking at the state you're in, you should know that better than anyone.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Cool, anything you don't like is stupid? I'm sure that'll keep me awake at night.

I've learned a long time ago that anybody who has an interest in cars is cool by me even if I'm not into whatever they like. There are plenty of people trying to pass laws outlawing certain cars or our ability to work/modify our own cars so the more people that are into the hobby, the better off we are as a community. By looking at the state you're in, you should know that better than anyone.
Wait a minute. You like the sound of a BOV but my spinners aren’t peachy keen? That doesn’t seem fair.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of what others may say if the system was not designed to run an open blow off valve then you will loose performance even with a blow off valve that plumbs back 50%. How you ask? Simple. The whole reason behind it is to keep the turbocharger spinning and create less lag when the throttle is closed shut under boost. Any air let out to make noise will be waisted energy and create lag. How much lag you ask? It all depends but I would not run any blow off valve that vents to the atmosphere what so ever since it isnt designed too.
So you have zero mods right...? Nothing is deviated out of factory spec on your truck?

giphy.gif

OP: I've had a boomba for a while now. Never gets old. Sometimes I make sure it goes off right next to Tacoma drivers with their windows down just to be passive aggressive.

0f870fed75831bbeb1f8526e9c8cf92d89555r1-486-356_hq.gif

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Agree. I had a 2013 Focus ST with a Boomba BOV and Unleashed Tune and it really did sound cool and got heads to turn!! Then I bought a 2017 Focus ST and left it stock except for the same Unleashed tune and the 17" absolutely ran better, stronger and quicker.

IMO...a BOV sounds really cool on a ST, WRX and other turbo pocket racers....not so cool on a pickup truck. But hey, it's your truck do whatever makes you smile!

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Geez, I hit a nerve!

It seems to me, that a lot of folks are copycats. Their buddy did it, so they do it. Lift and leveling kits are another example. So are huge tires, be darned they're loud running, and make hard cornering difficult. Like the comments made in Jurassic Park, the movie. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I do admit I am up in years (81 to be exact), but just perhaps I've gained the wisdom of age.

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Geez, I hit a nerve!

It seems to me, that a lot of folks are copycats. Their buddy did it, so they do it. Lift and leveling kits are another example. So are huge tires, be darned they're loud running, and make hard cornering difficult. Like the comments made in Jurassic Park, the movie. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I do admit I am up in years (81 to be exact), but just perhaps I've gained the wisdom of age.

Wow, is that what you got from all of this?

I real moral of this post is that everyone has their own opinion of what they think is cool and nobody is wrong (as long as their mods are safe). Of course people have copied individual mods from other people, it's hard to find something that hasn't been done before but, the sum of your mods make the car/truck your own. If you are really worried about doing something that others have done, leave your truck stock but hey, that's been done the most.

Maybe some of your 81 years of "wisdom" should be used to open your mind to other people's opinions. If everyone thought like you, we would not have had the racers and Hot Rodders that made car culture what it is today. But hey, you do you.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Some misconceptions here. It will not induce turbo lag. These turbos are small, efficient, and twin scroll (correct?). Now a large drop in turbo may be different, I don't know. It will not affect fuel trims. I did the cheap cap off version on my mustang and it runs just as normal. Many have done it, including some of the fastest eco's in the world. It really all just comes down to preference, whether you like the sound or you don't. Sometimes it does get annoying to me, but most of the time it's okay. You really only hear it also when you're really hitting the boost. If I'm just running up through the gears in town, there isn't even enough boost to kick it off. Full disclosure: I have a manual mustang though. I have not heard / used it on any automatics.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
Irrelevant comment.
People get things because they want them. I wanted to hear a blow off hiss when I let off the throttle at high RPM. Why is that so hard to understand? I understand you're old and retired but surely you can open up your mind to comprehend that...

Also, it seems like you're ignorant on how it sounds, it only makes the audible "hiss" when under load and high RPM; not annoying at all due to it being non-existent under normal driving conditions.

Any other questions or concerns from you?
If my guy wants to hear the blow off why does it matter? It’s not like he’s trying to install it on someone else’s truck. I love the sound when I stomp on the throttle and it gets throaty .... who gives a shit...

my mans install that part, take a video and post it!!!!!

I am agreeing with your reply fyi