First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
get a boost tester... you will find out really quick if and where you have a leak. All BOVs I have ever had leak (on other vehicles)
Sponsored

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
get a boost tester... you will find out really quick if and where you have a leak. All BOVs I have ever had leak (on other vehicles)

Is it really that common that BOV leak? If so, how severe of a leak have you observed?

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Is it really that common that BOV leak? If so, how severe of a leak have you observed?
It’s kind of hard to quantify. I have an HKS SSQV on another car, it Leaks, but not enough to prevent me from holding boost, its great at 17 psi. it’s a metal plug and metal seat, so it can’t be completely sealed. Had a turbosmart BOV on a WRX it leaked much worse, but still held 20+psi. When you use the boost leak tester, it’a a lot easier to figure out.

https://turboboostleaktesters.com/

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
It’s kind of hard to quantify. I have an HKS SSQV on another car, it Leaks, but not enough to prevent me from holding boost, its great at 17 psi. it’s a metal plug and metal seat, so it can’t be completely sealed. Had a turbosmart BOV on a WRX it leaked much worse, but still held 20+psi. When you use the boost leak tester, it’a a lot easier to figure out.

https://turboboostleaktesters.com/
Thanks, you basically just hook one of those up to the turbo inlet with an air compressor right? I assume a bottle of soapy water too will show you once pressurized.

Getting to that turbo inlet tho isn't the easiest task, but I've been looking to do a boost leak test for a minute now.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Thanks, you basically just hook one of those up to the turbo inlet with an air compressor right? I assume a bottle of soapy water too will show you once pressurized.

Getting to that turbo inlet tho isn't the easiest task, but I've been looking to do a boost leak test for a minute now.
Yea, and you will hear it too. I dont know what the stock max boost of the Ranger is i believe someone said 25ish psi?
Sponsored