Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh. I talked with my Ford dealer today about. They are asking > $500 for the Ford brand/approved BC just for the parts! Ugh
Yup. I looked at local prices recently and they're *NUTS* so I picked up the one for $300 and have yet to do the install.

1628875595129.png
Sponsored

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For those who have the Tow Pro Elite installed. How bright is your remote control knob? Mine might be visible at night but I have not checked in the dark, but during the day mine has no visible light. It is working according to the test light procedure. If i have the control in my hand I can see the light from the backside.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
For those who have the Tow Pro Elite installed. How bright is your remote control knob? Mine might be visible at night but I have not checked in the dark, but during the day mine has no visible light. It is working according to the test light procedure. If i have the control in my hand I can see the light from the backside.
It's very dim. Not an issue though.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think I comprehend your concerns now. It does tend to make one question the install correctness. Same here, now that you remind me. All is good with mine.
Just not as bright as I expected.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Finally finished up my install today. Put it in the 12V outlet. Since the light was not very bright I modified it a bit. Had some fiber optic cable so I took some of the fibers & inserted them into the lite source hole of the remote & thru the hole in the mounting plate, so now the fibers are wright behind the dial. Also I put a piece of electrical tape on the back side of the remote to help send the light thru the fibers out the front. Much better now. Tested with light bulb & all checks out. Now for a trailer. :like:

IMG_20210908_115057361_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210908_121907669_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210908_122403859_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210908_132301826_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Dio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Operations Engineer
Installed the Redarc tow pro elite in my 21 Lariat over the weekend. I didn't use the brake pedal for the brake signal I instead ran a wire threw the rubber grommet at the fire wall and tied it into the rear break light wiring underneath the drivers side door. The wire you want to use is violet with a brown stripe on the 21 Lariat, make sure to double check as there is a violet with a black stipe in the bundle that looks similar unless you put under a light. Below are pic of what I used and where I made the connection. The connector I used has anti corrosion lube in it. The wiring cover fit perfectly back over the new connector and was retaped. It took about an hour to run it has I was meticulous in running it along the wiring harness that leaves the fire wall and runs back to the rear.

In my opinion (others may vary) this is the same thing Ford's break controller is doing only with a $75 extra box needed. Common sense would tell you that if either the emergency brake system or the active cruise control would kick in on an emergency situation it's going to activate the rear tail lights to let the person behind you know that the truck is breaking. Hence the reason why Ford has you connect to the 3rd break light with there controller.

20210913_170249.jpg

20210913_170236.jpg

20210913_175449.jpg

20210913_175602.jpg

20210913_175521.jpg

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Installed the Redarc tow pro elite in my 21 Lariat over the weekend. I didn't use the brake pedal for the brake signal I instead ran a wire threw the rubber grommet at the fire wall and tied it into the rear break light wiring underneath the drivers side door. The wire you want to use is violet with a brown stripe on the 21 Lariat, make sure to double check as there is a violet with a black stipe in the bundle that looks similar unless you put under a light. Below are pic of what I used and where I made the connection. The connector I used has anti corrosion lube in it. The wiring cover fit perfectly back over the new connector and was retaped. It took about an hour to run it has I was meticulous in running it along the wiring harness that leaves the fire wall and runs back to the rear.

In my opinion (others may vary) this is the same thing Ford's break controller is doing only with a $75 extra box needed. Common sense would tell you that if either the emergency brake system or the active cruise control would kick in on an emergency situation it's going to activate the rear tail lights to let the person behind you know that the truck is breaking. Hence the reason why Ford has you connect to the 3rd break light with there controller.

20210913_170249.jpg

20210913_170236.jpg

20210913_175449.jpg

20210913_175602.jpg

20210913_175521.jpg
I think the Lumen module that Ford uses accounts for some extra things that simply tapping a wire directly may not.. such hazard lights vs braking, and also flashing brake lights (AEB flashes them on some vehicles instead of just turning them on). Does your setup account for things like that?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Lumen module that Ford uses accounts for some extra things that simply tapping a wire directly may not.. such hazard lights vs braking, and also flashing brake lights (AEB flashes them on some vehicles instead of just turning them on). Does your setup account for things like that?
The biggest thing it accounts for is Lariat vs non trims because the signal is different for the LED CHMSL.

Reactions: EJH

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
The biggest thing it accounts for is Lariat vs non trims because the signal is different for the LED CHMSL.
I'm wondering if his brakes are going to go ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF if the hazard lights are used, or in an AEB emergency if AEB pulses the brake lights to alert other drivers

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if his brakes are going to go ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF if the hazard lights are used, or in an AEB emergency if AEB pulses the brake lights to alert other drivers
Luckily the CHMSL isn't tied to turn signals but yeah, I'd be worried just tapping in without the module.

jdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
I installed mine in my 2021 XLT Sport in May or June. I wasn't able to get it hooked to any trailer since I was waiting on my backorder RV. So I just got the RV after a long wait 2 days ago. I plugged it in and drove away from the dealer. Not sure why but it was set on 10. Mine never seemed to go into calibration mode. I kept driving and it does appear to be working. The intensity knob also seems to adjust the braking intensity. The red light comes on when braking. I tried the manual test stopped on a hill and that seemed to work. But the whole idea that it didn't go into blue/green/blue/green cal mode when I first hooked it up is kind of puzzling.

I've been driving around with this installed for a couple of months, obviously but never went into cal mode as this RV is the first hookup. Is there a way to invoke the calibration mode? Should I worry about it? I talked to the mechanic at the RV dealer today and he didn't do anything to the unit to set it up since they didn't do the install. Any ideas? Thanks.

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
I installed mine in my 2021 XLT Sport in May or June. I wasn't able to get it hooked to any trailer since I was waiting on my backorder RV. So I just got the RV after a long wait 2 days ago. I plugged it in and drove away from the dealer. Not sure why but it was set on 10. Mine never seemed to go into calibration mode. I kept driving and it does appear to be working. The intensity knob also seems to adjust the braking intensity. The red light comes on when braking. I tried the manual test stopped on a hill and that seemed to work. But the whole idea that it didn't go into blue/green/blue/green cal mode when I first hooked it up is kind of puzzling.

I've been driving around with this installed for a couple of months, obviously but never went into cal mode as this RV is the first hookup. Is there a way to invoke the calibration mode? Should I worry about it? I talked to the mechanic at the RV dealer today and he didn't do anything to the unit to set it up since they didn't do the install. Any ideas? Thanks.
My understanding is that it calibrates the first time you drive regardless of having a trailer connected.

jdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
My understanding is that it calibrates the first time you drive regardless of having a trailer connected.
A friend of mine has a 2020 ranger and by coincidence he hooked up a trailer for the very first time the day before I went for my RV. He was kind of going nuts on the knob and eventually it calibrated for him blu/green/blue/green. I looked in the forum for the correct way to get this thing going and I found the video that basically said connect it up to a trailer and go. It will calibrate itself. This is why I'm wondering WTF? The instructions on this thing are whacked. Does the calibration do anything more than learn the direction of travel?
Sponsored