Rears-only: Fox 2.0 or Eibach?

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll update folks on the bilsteins. Had bilsteins on my Tahoe. Loved them.
Sponsored

Bkfore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 2wd magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I installed the Eibachs on the rear of my 4x2 and it got rid of most of the bounce/wobble and ride is nice and not much firmer. Worthwhile upgrade. Bret
I also put the eibachs on the rear of my 2wd. Significant difference. My highway princess may never even see a dirt road, but did not like the subtle bouncing even on our residential streets. After the switch, my wife commented on the difference after only a quarter mile down the road.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Mine's an FX4. I put the Eibachs on the rear only and it was a big improvement. Wallow is pretty much gone. The difference on highway on ramps is huge. VERY happy with this, but it does make me want to do the front.

I have not been off road since I put them on, but will take care of that in October.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have Fox 2.0 shocks on the rear. They did help with the rear feeling too bouncy, but now the front of the truck needs some attention. I have the Rough Country 2.5" leveling spacers installed on the stock FX4 coilovers. I'm considering going with Eibach Pro Truck 2.0 coilovers up front. What I can't decide is if I should just leave the Fox 2.0 shocks in the rear, or if I should get the Eibach kit that includes rear shocks as well. It's only $150 more, and I can always sell the Fox 2.0 shocks to someone looking for rear only.

Anyone have any opinion about the rear shocks? Specifically, is there really much difference between the Fox 2.0 and Eibach Pro Truck rear shocks?

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I installed the Eibach's yesterday and then picked up running boards about an hour away.

At first I was thinking they felt a little too firm as I drove around the block near my house, but on the 2 hour trip afterwards I found myself feeling very happy with them. Feels almost perfect to me now. I really like the stock front + Eibach rear combo.

I'll be towing my travel trailer tomorrow and Saturday so I'll report back as to how they change the towing experience for me.

As far as installation it was pretty simple. Only difficult part was compressing the Eibachs in order to get the lower bolt in place. I had the truck jacked up far enough that the wheel was off the ground but there was still 2 or 3 inches of compression needed. I used a small pry bar wrapped in automotive felt tape (as to not scratch the nicely anodized metal of the shock) to get it done.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Another update as I towed our travel trailer 2hrs away and back on the weekend and then drove 1.5hrs into Toronto and back today without the trailer.

Our first trip took us on the highway, driving between 110-120 km/h for most of the time. Our destination was the same area that I previously found very annoying with the stock rear shocks. We also towed through a short off-road section to where we setup our trailer, way out back on a friend's property. On the way back home we took a more scenic route through winding roads up and down hills and through some small towns, going between 80-100 km/h for most of it.

Verdict: the Eibachs are awesome and I am so happy with them. The rear is not too firm or too stiff, instead having just the right amount of controlled movement. There's more bounce in the front end than the rear now but it's not actually a bad thing, in fact I like the balance between the stock front shocks and the Eibach rear shocks. The rear feels properly planted and there's added confidence now. This is how the truck should have arrived from the factory, if you ask me.

Today when I drove into Toronto and back it was a dream. Much of that trip was around 120-130 km/h and driving in the city was great as well. Great gas mileage to boot. I usually hate driving into Toronto.. but this was a nice trip. Adaptive cruise helped a lot as traffic picked up.

Anyone on the fence.. I say go for the Eibachs!

1600631820377.png

1600631841521.png

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Do you Fox 2.0 guys think it’s good or too stiff?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Do you Fox 2.0 guys think it’s good or too stiff?
As pointed out befor and in other threads I dont have Fox or any of the leveling shocks. If anything whata I have noticed overall anf this shoyld help you is that all aftermarket shocks have fixed a lot of the ride quality issues we have experienced. Think about it this way. A stiff shock can cause the bouncyness you are already experiencing now. Firm isnt even the word I would use for the aftermarket shocks because it isn't firm since firm would essentially be similar to stiff. The real word to describ is soft/smooth. Ut allows for the ride to much more comfortable. When the shock damping is to firm or stiff then you get your bouncyness. Make it a little softer by reducing rebound or compression then you can get a much better controlable ride. Simple as that. Will there be a difference from Fox to Eibach to Bilstein? Absolutely but it will be marginal. If you are not looking to go off road much if at all it would be best to saflve some money and go with either Eibach or Bilstein. Planning to go offroad then chose Fox or Bilstein.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As pointed out befor and in other threads I dont have Fox or any of the leveling shocks. If anything whata I have noticed overall anf this shoyld help you is that all aftermarket shocks have fixed a lot of the ride quality issues we have experienced. Think about it this way. A stiff shock can cause the bouncyness you are already experiencing now. Firm isnt even the word I would use for the aftermarket shocks because it isn't firm since firm would essentially be similar to stiff. The real word to describ is soft/smooth. Ut allows for the ride to much more comfortable. When the shock damping is to firm or stiff then you get your bouncyness. Make it a little softer by reducing rebound or compression then you can get a much better controlable ride. Simple as that. Will there be a difference from Fox to Eibach to Bilstein? Absolutely but it will be marginal. If you are not looking to go off road much if at all it would be best to saflve some money and go with either Eibach or Bilstein. Planning to go offroad then chose Fox or Bilstein.
Thanks. That’s helps.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have the Eibach's on the rear too an I'm very happy with the ride quality improvement. I'm considering the front's too but I like the balance now an may get just a level kit.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the Eibach's on the rear too an I'm very happy with the ride quality improvement. I'm considering the front's too but I like the balance now an may get just a level kit.
If you get the front shocks by Eibach you are able to level it out. Do that and get even better ride quality. Makes sense to me at least.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
If you get the front shocks by Eibach you are able to level it out. Do that and get even better ride quality. Makes sense to me at least.
I just don't want a jarring ride up front. I guess keeping the stock spring determines that more than the strut.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just don't want a jarring ride up front. I guess keeping the stock spring determines that more than the strut.
Not exactly. The lift I have changes both springs and shocks/struts and they are made to work together. For Eibach they will find a way to make thier shocks and struts to work with the factory springs and still provide a nice ride. In my opinion if you just put a spacer in between the strut and frame for a leveling kit the ride will become worse. Why do a job if you only half ass it?

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I think you're describing a different bounciness. The stock shocks are more soft/smooth (they offered less resistance is how I would put it) than the Eibachs. They were too easy to compress and decompress, allowing the springs to keep bouncing the truck up and down after a bump or a dip in the road. The Eibachs offer more resistance and prevent the truck from bouncing up and down as much.

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Here’s something I tried with rear only Fox 2.0, stock FX4 front. I set the rear tire pressure to 30 (recommended) but set the front tire pressure to 35. It firmed up the front to match the rear and feels just about perfect to me.

Just something you guys might want to try. It makes a big difference. The thing I am noticing the most with the new rears is it doesn’t nosedive on stops any more. Feels like a different truck.
Sponsored

Last edited: