First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Dana (transaxle manufacturer) specifically mentions our diff is designed to use synthetic. Guess what's going in when I get 'round tuit.
I’d like to know where you saw that information.
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I’d like to know where you saw that information.
Well darn it. All I find specific are PDFs and Ford doesn't list synthetic for 5th generation Rangers, just their premium lube.

Apart from Gale Banks advocating for it and every oil manufacturer offering synthetic options all I could find was a YouTube video from SEMA from Spicer talking about the new Advantec diff and it's compatibility with synthetic... only they don't explicitly say 4WD or RWD... although with Jeeps I imagine it's 4x4.

Heck, there might be a distinction between locking differentials and non for lube selection.

I can't imagine it's a negative to switch up apart from the cost. Best of all worlds would be my goal. I doubt (as others said) I'm going to recover the cost difference in fuel savings. Reducing wear whether daily driving, loading the bed or towing and long distance trips would be my concern. I'm still in the dark about heat issues, if there really is any.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well darn it. All I find specific are PDFs and Ford doesn't list synthetic for 5th generation Rangers, just their premium lube.

Apart from Gale Banks advocating for it and every oil manufacturer offering synthetic options all I could find was a YouTube video from SEMA from Spicer talking about the new Advantec diff and it's compatibility with synthetic... only they don't explicitly say 4WD or RWD... although with Jeeps I imagine it's 4x4.

Heck, there might be a distinction between locking differentials and non for lube selection.

I can't imagine it's a negative to switch up apart from the cost. Best of all worlds would be my goal. I doubt (as others said) I'm going to recover the cost difference in fuel savings. Reducing wear whether daily driving, loading the bed or towing and long distance trips would be my concern. I'm still in the dark about heat issues, if there really is any.
Hi John,

I understand your delema, but just buy the Ford lube...install it and be done with it. I can't tell if the Premium Lube is synthetic either. As far as heat...try running Stock Mustangs for a 24 hour race. Want to talk about heat! Amsoil to the rescue? Oh spare me... Valvoline...probaby okay, but why spend a few nickles less and face the consequences...

Sort of funny back story.... We had a program to use a New Process Gear (Read Chrysler) Transfer case in F Series to make them AWD. NPG had a lube that differed from Ford. So Ford had to release a TSB to the dealers outlining the Lube needed and included a part number... Problem was it was off one digit and the mistake caused the dealer to order a rubber backed tape... Attention to detail is key here, eh?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retried

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
23,000 miles and around 1300 of that towing trailers if different weights I'm getting the diff fluid changed while Ford does my oil third change.

Ford synthetic/premium oil/fluids.

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
dumb question but i want to get an ARB rear diff cover but anyone know what axle i have 2021 xlt sport with FX4 package is it a dana 200 or a Dana 220

thanks for any help

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
dumb question but i want to get an ARB rear diff cover but anyone know what axle i have 2021 xlt sport with FX4 package is it a dana 200 or a Dana 220

thanks for any help

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
The only synthetic axle lube I've found that meets the owner's manual Ford Spec WSP-M2C197-A is Redline 75w-90. Unlike older Rangers, the Gen 5's have drain plugs on both axles so it's not terribly difficult to do yourself.

Also Redline D6 ATF meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C938-A for transfer case lube.

As per Redline's website. www.redlineoil.com

I'm not shilling for Redline and I'm not saying that's all there is, but that's all I've found.

Carry on.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
I don't have an owners manual in my truck I discovered. They did a dealer trade and I guess they forgot to put the owners manual in the glove box. So I need to get over to the stealership and get them to order me a manual. Thanks for posting up the fluid capacities.
Here you go"

Attachments

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I installed the ARB cover from stage3 and replaced with Ford fluid at 4k-5k miles. Stock fluid was chunky, burnt, and both magnets were packed full. I will probably drain and refill at 15k-20k.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
The only synthetic axle lube I've found that meets the owner's manual Ford Spec WSP-M2C197-A is Redline 75w-90. Unlike older Rangers, the Gen 5's have drain plugs on both axles so it's not terribly difficult to do yourself.

Also Redline D6 ATF meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C938-A for transfer case lube.

As per Redline's website. www.redlineoil.com

I'm not shilling for Redline and I'm not saying that's all there is, but that's all I've found.

Carry on.
I used Redline for my diffs and transfer case.

Ford or probably Dana, deleted the rear axle drain plug. My 2021 does not have one. We had a thread about it.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did my rear diff. fluid yesterday. 33,524 miles will be 3 yrs old in June. I have pulled 5 U-Haul 6x12 trailer loads from Texas back to Mo. I don't believe that the amount on the magnet was that severe, there were no hunks of metal & the fluid was not all black & guncky. For anyone having trouble to fill just put a piece of clear fluid transfer tube over the tip of the bottle. I did remove the spare tire just to check the operation as I am getting ready for a road trip.

DSCN8859.JPG

DSCN8860.JPG

DSCN8864.JPG

DSCN8865.JPG

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Is it ok to use this for 2021 ranger rear axle?
894504CC-202E-4BC3-9B62-8656F8E7DEC5.jpeg

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I say Yes, use with confidence unless you want to go synthetic- 75W-90
Castrol is good stuff