First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Now that I have seen this I see what you mean. My suggestion is just change the fluid to full synthetic and when Banks releases thier cover consider going with it.

Now I should ask, do you tow with your truck? Also what is the most you have done for long distance road trips with your truck?
Towing at highway speeds from around town (light loads) to Interstate at highway speeds 550-650 mile trips.

Banks does some very in-depth examination of transaxle stresses and my conclusion is I might extend the life of the differential. As far as gas mileage gains I doubt I'd claw back a perceptible benefit, so that's not a primary driver in considering a swap.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Towing at highway speeds from around town (light loads) to Interstate at highway speeds 550-650 mile trips.
Yeah just changing the oil to full synthetic should be fine for your purpose. I have already towed a fair bit of weight(probably 3,500 lbs) on a 600 mile trip and it did just fine.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Mr. Banks seems to favor Amsoil.

Cue the Haterz.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Cue the Haterz.
Lol for the price of scam oil vs name brand synthetic oil I would rather go to most auto parts stores and get a name brand like Mobil 1 or Valvoline. For Amsoil you first have to find a supplier and then be willing to fork out a bunch of money wich to most isnt worth it.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

Cue the Haterz.
Being an engineer myself he is using tests that can be reproduced by anyone. That’s bank in my book! When I do get around to changing mine will use that as well. I’m sure he’s done some testing on that before throwing out there that’s his preferred lubricant

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Being an engineer myself he is using tests that can be reproduced by anyone. That’s bank in my book! When I do get around to changing mine will use that as well. I’m sure he’s done some testing on that before throwing out there that’s his preferred lubricant
I spent a little time over in Bob The Oil Guy forum and there is a lot of skepticism over synthetic oils.

It isn't moving my mind in any direction.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I spent a little time over in Bob The Oil Guy forum and there is a lot of skepticism over synthetic oils.

Back before there were synthetics it was straight oil. Broke down fast under high performance conditions. Then the ‘additives’ came in to help with this flaw. Later came the synthetics. Over the decades since plenty of tests and real life examples from engine tear downs to computer data of engine performance. So, by this time in the game I think from all that has been studied to this point (Ford included) not all are the same. As an example let’s use Mobile 1. Like 4 different types offered. For me only one is at the front and the other ride the name for profit. Up to the consumer to research and decide for themselves. One source for information is not what I would call scientific!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

One thing that might help you on this decision.

Years ago back in the 80s or 90s General Motors was doing some testing for the Corvette before it was released. Their goal was to keep the engine oil temperature below a certain temperature under many different driving conditions. They first started out with conventional motor oil because why not. When they did so the temperature was way too high above what they wanted. After that they added an engine oil cooler. With the oil cooler it did drop the temperature but not enough for what they were looking for. After that they took the oil cooler off and swapped out the engine oil for full synthetic. When they get the test run with just full synthetic oil the engine oil temperature was at the desired area that GM wanted for the Corvette. With just that testing alone synthetic oil will be just fine for the differential as it will help control temperature.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have an owners manual in my truck I discovered. They did a dealer trade and I guess they forgot to put the owners manual in the glove box. So I need to get over to the stealership and get them to order me a manual. Thanks for posting up the fluid capacities.
It s also in the ford app, under glove box

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
The factory axle lube is already synthetic.
The Sport Trac I just traded in I got new in 2008. The rear axle had a drain plug so I figured what the hell? Changed the lube in the rear and the transfer case every 30,000 miles. The first couple times they both drained out like tar but by 90k they both drained out clean because most of your wear occurs early on. At 150k they drained out like new so I waited until 200k and they still drained out clean. In a Sport Trac the front axle is impossible to do yourself so I'd take it to Valvoline every 50k.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The factory axle lube is already synthetic.
The Sport Trac I just traded in I got new in 2008. The rear axle had a drain plug so I figured what the hell? Changed the lube in the rear and the transfer case every 30,000 miles. The first couple times they both drained out like tar but by 90k they both drained out clean because most of your wear occurs early on. At 150k they drained out like new so I waited until 200k and they still drained out clean. In a Sport Trac the front axle is impossible to do yourself so I'd take it to Valvoline every 50k.
I don't know what has you convinced that it is already full synthetic but the 2019 and up Ranher does not have full synthetic in the front and rear axle from the factory. That doesnt mean you cant put full synthetic in the axle because you can but understand it didn't come with it.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I don't know what has you convinced that it is already full synthetic but the 2019 and up Ranher does not have full synthetic in the front and rear axle from the factory. That doesnt mean you cant put full synthetic in the axle because you can but understand it didn't come with it.
Okay. Everything I've bought from Ford the last several years came with synthetic in the axles, my understanding was for gas mileage reasons. I figured the Ranger would be the same.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay. Everything I've bought from Ford the last several years came with synthetic in the axles, my understanding was for gas mileage reasons. I figured the Ranger would be the same.
It all depends on the results from testing that Engineering does. I'm sure @P. A. Schilke can confirm this. Also being a certified Ford tech I got to see the data most dont get to see and the front and rear axle specifications called for 80w-90

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on the results from testing that Engineering does. I'm sure @P. A. Schilke can confirm this. Also being a certified Ford tech I got to see the data most dont get to see and the front and rear axle specifications called for 80w-90
Hi Chris,

5G Ranger tested with for 2019 with Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant XY-80W90-QL according to the owner's manual. Not sure if this stuff qualifies as synthethic or not. Not an oil expert for sure. I do know that 4G Ranger at the time I retired only used the "good stuff"...ie synthetic on the FX4 with the Torsen diff.

• Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant is an excellent multi-purpose extreme pressure lubricant recommended by Ford Motor Company meeting warranty requirements. It is recommended for conventional and limited-slip differentials of passenger cars, light trucks, vans and buses that operate under mild to severe service conditions
  • Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant is manufactured using premium quality hydroprocessed base oils and performance additives to provide thermal and oxidative stability and protection against gear wear, rust and corrosion. This product meets the requirements of MIL-PRF-2105E & Mack GO-J
I am of the opinion that you stick with the Motorcraft brand to be in the safe side. Looks like it can be had for around $6 a quart.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Dana (transaxle manufacturer) specifically mentions our diff is designed to use synthetic. Guess what's going in when I get 'round tuit.
Sponsored