Ranger Keypad

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Going on 3 months and still working however I noticed this morning, the housing around the numbers are starting to fade with a few white streaks. I’m hoping I can remove it fairly easily and wrap the housing in vinyl and stick it back on. The housing plastic trim seems cheap, I would have liked it painted magnetic. Hmm, maybe I’ll just prep and paint it and call it a day forever with the keypad besides changing the battery.
The cover/housing pops right off without having to remove the double sided tape part
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Finally tried my keypad out. It WORKS!!!!! Glad to have it. Might come in handy.:)

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
The cover/housing pops right off without having to remove the double sided tape part
Makes things much easier. I was thinking about how I would disassemble it carefully but if it pops right off, right to the sandpaper it goes.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Pics don’t do it justice, looks much better in person, I color matched it to truck

11FDED3D-AA28-4061-8D88-E72D180F4FEE.jpeg

442C2117-26C8-4A8B-AD1B-C8A9AA51C8F6.jpeg

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Pics don’t do it justice, looks much better in person, I color matched it to truck

Looks great!!
Is it possible to replace the battery after you popped off the top? Any water sealing concerns?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

Was this professionally done? Or where did you get the paint?

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Was this professionally done? Or where did you get the paint?
I like to think my work is professional:), I did in my backyard using a spray can, it’s kind of expensive, I’ve used it for other work, it’ll be cheaper taking it to an auto shop that repairs and paints.
https://www.amazon.com/PAINTSCRATCH...id=1562139662&s=automotive&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Looks great!!
Is it possible to replace the battery after you popped off the top? Any water sealing concerns?
There are no water sealing concerns, the rubber seals looks and feel solid like Mustang2Ranger said, as far as the battery replacement, I didn’t see anything from visuals, hopefully someone can chime in on that. I’d like to know if the unit has to be completely removed from the trucks body to change the battery.

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I like to think my work is professional:), I did in my backyard using a spray can, it’s kind of expensive, I’ve used it for other work, it’ll be cheaper taking it to an auto shop that repairs and paints.
https://www.amazon.com/PAINTSCRATCH...id=1562139662&s=automotive&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

There are no water sealing concerns, the rubber seals looks and feel solid like Mustang2Ranger said, as far as the battery replacement, I didn’t see anything from visuals, hopefully someone can chime in on that. I’d like to know if the unit has to be completely removed from the trucks body to change the battery.
Removal is required. Ford says to use a piece of fishing line.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape

Removal is not required to change the battery. The cover can be popped off and the top of the assembly can be removed without detaching the bottom. You just have to unclip the 12 little clips. I used a bunch of small sized paper clips to jam in there and hold the clips open. See post #61, however I did remove it (to relocate) and the fishing line/dental floss route is the way to go for removal

Ford won't replace the battery I don't think, they will remove and install a new one

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ford won't replace the battery I don't think, they will remove and install a new one
Dealer tried to replace the battery on mine. Didn't work, and now that Ford has clarified that this is something they should replace I have a new one on order.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dealer tried to replace the battery on mine. Didn't work, and now that Ford has clarified that this is something they should replace I have a new one on order.
No way I'd try and fix one that has already drained the battery. From what I'm reading the short battery life is due to a problem internal to the Keypad circuity and is not a battery issue. But, if my battery lasts 5 years (or so) I'd likely go for a $4 battery replacement than a new keypad.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
No way I'd try and fix one that has already drained the battery.
I agree. :) But telling the dealer that you're sure you need a new part for free either because you're sure that's a waste of time or because you've read it on the internet doesn't get far. (This was done before the SSM. I'm pretty sure mine was the first one they saw because they were surprised that it wasn't the same as the F150.)

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I agree. :) But telling the dealer that you're sure you need a new part for free either because you're sure that's a waste of time or because you've read it on the internet doesn't get far. (This was done before the SSM. I'm pretty sure mine was the first one they saw because they were surprised that it wasn't the same as the F150.)
Yeah, I agree much tougher when you're a guinea pig....

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Asked my dealer about buying this and they told me that they HAVE to "install" it and it has to be in the factory offered location. Have you guys run into this at all?
Sponsored