Ranger Keypad

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Well, just got done reading all 9 pages.....Interesting to say the least. I remember 15-17 years ago these things had "lifetime" batteries and they programmed via key cycles like programming an extra PATS key. I never saw one go dead, but knew the battery could be replaced. Must be all the extra modules/electronics that are causing the issues. I was deeply annoyed that a hard wired one wasn't an option, but I too figured it was a by product of getting a world truck thrown together for the U.S. I've had them on my last 2 F-150's and always locked my keys in the console while hunting, hiking, biking or at work. Never had an issue. I have been relying the Ford Pass app, but today it was down and I was locked out of my truck. My 4 mile jog turned into a 2 hour wait to get a ride to get my extra key. Very disappointing and likely to never rely solely on the app again. I read this thread because I remembered the old ones you could pop the cover off, so I figured I'd see what dealers were charging to program, buy one and have it installed and just color match the cover to make it look acceptable. The fuel cap idea is a neat idea. Just don't think it's worth it if battery issues are so common...:thumbsdown:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There short battery life is a problem that Ford acknowledged. We'll see how the replacements fare.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Well, just got done reading all 9 pages.....Interesting to say the least. I remember 15-17 years ago these things had "lifetime" batteries and they programmed via key cycles like programming an extra PATS key. I never saw one go dead, but knew the battery could be replaced. Must be all the extra modules/electronics that are causing the issues. I was deeply annoyed that a hard wired one wasn't an option, but I too figured it was a by product of getting a world truck thrown together for the U.S. I've had them on my last 2 F-150's and always locked my keys in the console while hunting, hiking, biking or at work. Never had an issue. I have been relying the Ford Pass app, but today it was down and I was locked out of my truck. My 4 mile jog turned into a 2 hour wait to get a ride to get my extra key. Very disappointing and likely to never rely solely on the app again. I read this thread because I remembered the old ones you could pop the cover off, so I figured I'd see what dealers were charging to program, buy one and have it installed and just color match the cover to make it look acceptable. The fuel cap idea is a neat idea. Just don't think it's worth it if battery issues are so common...:thumbsdown:

My dad already figured out that he could definitely replace the battery, but you need to break some glue spots (think superglue), and then figure out how you want to keep it back together. I was thinking he could use some of that really hard black seam tape, and keep it in his fuel door so that it doesn't get as much rain/dirt on it. I think it looks tacky as heck anyways, and why they would even offer a keypad that couldn't have the battery changed, couldn't be programmed by the end user, and doesn't even look like it belongs is beyond me.

Oh yeah, it's that 80$ to get it programmed that might have driven that decision...

Someone with better skills than me needs to 3D print an enclosure for the buttons that snaps on the back half or something and allows battery replacement.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
My dad already figured out that he could definitely replace the battery, but you need to break some glue spots (think superglue), and then figure out how you want to keep it back together. I was thinking he could use some of that really hard black seam tape, and keep it in his fuel door so that it doesn't get as much rain/dirt on it. I think it looks tacky as heck anyways, and why they would even offer a keypad that couldn't have the battery changed, couldn't be programmed by the end user, and doesn't even look like it belongs is beyond me.

Oh yeah, it's that 80$ to get it programmed that might have driven that decision...

Someone with better skills than me needs to 3D print an enclosure for the buttons that snaps on the back half or something and allows battery replacement.
There was not any glue on mine and it could be clipped back together snugly

Asked my dealer about buying this and they told me that they HAVE to "install" it and it has to be in the factory offered location. Have you guys run into this at all?
Yup. And if you move it and try to have warranty work done good luck. Firsthand experience. Move it after install and move it back before service

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
There was not any glue on mine and it could be clipped back together snugly

Yup. And if you move it and try to have warranty work done good luck. Firsthand experience. Move it after install and move it back before service
So what is the warranty? 3/36? You could go thru 72 of these if they have a 500 mile shelf life. Are the new ones better? I loved the keyless entry key pad, but I'm not gonna hate my truck that I otherwise love because it doesn't have it. I'd rather not have it than have it work 1/2 azz.....

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what is the warranty? 3/36? You could go thru 72 of these if they have a 500 mile shelf life. Are the new ones better? I loved the keyless entry key pad, but I'm not gonna hate my truck that I otherwise love because it doesn't have it. I'd rather not have it than have it work 1/2 azz.....
I am not the expert, but from what I have gathered there was a manufacture defect for a batch of keypads which have a circuit that somehow stays open and drains the battery

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I got my truck on 5/4. No battery issue for me it is still up and usable

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Just an update, I got my truck in April and keypad still works fine. Just last week I locked myself out of the car and had to use the keypad to gain entry. My build date was February.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If they were all broken Ford probably would have noticed in testing

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I read somewhere that thieves have equipment to steal the codes off your keys even in your house and unlock start and drive away with your vehicle. Amazon sells a pouch that blocks that. Seems like it would be easy to do it (steal codes) with the keypad on the vehicle.

OP
OP
chasvs

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I ha
I read somewhere that thieves have equipment to steal the codes off your keys even in your house and unlock start and drive away with your vehicle. Amazon sells a pouch that blocks that. Seems like it would be easy to do it (steal codes) with the keypad on the vehicle.
i have no doubt that you don't even need to steal th ecodes these days. I assume there's a Program that would provide your Truck with a series of codes until the right one is presented. If someone is going to go to those lengths to steal your truck it's gonna get stolen no matter what you do. I'm not concerned at all about the code stealers. I've got Insurance that includes Gap coverage.
Sponsored

Last edited: