First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To get back to the real subject of this thread....
I filled up with Sunoco premium today at about 1/4 tank after running mid-grade fuel exclusively. I am a doubter as to the benefits of premium under normal driving conditions so we shall see. In order to minimize the fuel dilution effect I'll fill with premium at the next fill up as well. I doubt I'll feel any any real difference over the next few weeks though.
Give a little bit of time. If anything my switch was from 87 to 91 and I got to see the difference on my second tank. Now im not talking a difference you would see with a tune but the better overall response and increased MPG(1-2 at best) was worth the price to me. I hope you get to see similar benefits as well.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Give a little bit of time. If anything my switch was from 87 to 91 and I got to see the difference on my second tank. Now im not talking a difference you would see with a tune but the better overall response and increased MPG(1-2 at best) was worth the price to me. I hope you get to see similar benefits as well.
Thanks for the reminder, I just went out and reset the mpg. For the record it read an indicated 25.7 mpg average.

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
What needs to be modified to run ONE Extra gallon of ethanol mixxed with 87 octane on the ecoboost? You seem to have all the answers. So please save me from myself. Are we still going with the fuel system is maxed out in its current stock state? Or are we going with the pcm is to stupid to compensate for a few more percentage points of ethnol in fuel? Just curious frenchy? Are you tuned? Did you need a bigger fuel pump or injectors? When you picked up 30 rear wheel horse power? Because if you didn't. I think we can rule out that the fuel system cant handle an extra single gallon of ethnol blended to 87.I know the manual says to only run e10 to e15. But it also say an aftermarket tune voids my warranty. Hmmmmm
nothing needs to be modified to run an extra gallon of E85, there is just NO benefit to do so

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
No comments at all on the video I posted for the second time. NOTHING! The same guys that are calling me stupid for putting one gallon of ethnol in my tank. Probably ran right out and voided their warranty with an after market tune. Show of hands. How many of you cool /follow the owners manual guys did that? Cause I don't want to hear any crying when your engine blows and ford voids your warranty. How are you gonna handle that? Come on and own up. How many of you guys are tuned. Or running a peddle comander or other shit that your trusting your engine to? And then explain to me how its different. Isnt that after market tune over working the poor taxed out fuel system these rangers have? I mean the system is so weak it can't handle an e15 or e20 blend. And the PCMs are soooo stupid they cant adjust to one gallon of ethnol. When gasoline here in New Jersey is already 10 to 15% ethanol. How is this weak ass fuel system going to handle a tune? Can't wait to be talked down to about how tunes are 100% safe. But a f$%king gallon of e85 is an engine grenade.
I know you're not responding to me because all I said was "duck" ? because it was about to come you're way.
For the record I don't have a dog in this fight and only keep up with this thread for entertainment value. Although the peeing content is getting less so. I do have a tune. I feed it gasoline. For what that's worth.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the reminder, I just went out and reset the mpg. For the record it read an indicated 25.7 mpg average.
I reset that every tank just to get an idea how well I may or may not be doing. Most of the time its not so bad

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
To get back to the real subject of this thread....
I filled up with Sunoco premium today at about 1/4 tank after running mid-grade fuel exclusively. I am a doubter as to the benefits of premium under normal driving conditions so we shall see. In order to minimize the fuel dilution effect I'll fill with premium at the next fill up as well. I doubt I'll feel any any real difference over the next few weeks though.
Well, I was a doubter too, but after so many reports, I decided to try a couple of tanks. My initial results are very promising. I put in about a half tank of premium and my MPG is up about 1.5 MPG or so. I'm not driving a lot so I will be interested to see what a full tank of premium will do.

I will be interested to hear your results as well.

Reactions: Doc

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I know you're not responding to me because all I said was "duck" ? because it was about to come you're way.
For the record I don't have a dog in this fight and only keep up with this thread for entertainment value. Although the peeing content is getting less so. I do have a tune. I feed it gasoline. For what that's worth.
Im not really directing the tune thing at anyone. Maybe one individual In particular. For the record. I’m in the modify the F#$k out of everything camp. You wanna slap a 6 inch lift, a set of 36 inch tires and a big turbo On your truck. I got your back! Push the boundaries of what people say you can’t do. Until you make them understand that it can be done! I own a mustang that I’ve invested more money in mods than I spent on this truck! And I feed that 1000 horsepower monster straight e85. I have two 55 gallon barrels of the stuff. So mixing isn’t an issue for me. I also have a fantastic understanding of the fuel. I’ve logged 50 or 60 data logs with Lund racing. Went over fuel trims with them. And the car Has dyno’s at over 800whp. So when a guy says some asinine sh!t. Like One gallon of e85 Mixed with 87 octane will blow your engine. And waves the owners manual at you like a bible. But then tunes Their vehicle. Directly ignoring the same owners manual that they just waived around. I find it incredibly hypocritical! However if you want the most power out of a tune......Get an e85 tune!:giggle:Now the reason I add a gallon (or two in the summer) of e85 to 87octane gas is simple to understand. E85 is $2 dollars a gallon. 93 octane is $3 a gallon. Also fuel quality is hit or miss Here in Jersey. Ethanol is cheap insurance against bad gas. I had a hard enough time trying to get people Commenting in this thread. To understand I wasn’t dumping straight e85 into my gas tank.:headbang: And 90% of the people commenting have never used E85 in their lives. So your going to get pushback from people that just don’t understand there is more to the automotive hobbie. Than “What the owners manual says”. I’m going to bow out Of this thread for good now. Like I said my truck will be fine. I’m sure of that. Everyone said the wright brothers were crazy for wanting to fly. Until they proved it could be done. All I’m proving is that the ford ranger fuel system is a little more robust than some give it credit for. And the PCM can handle a hiccup in ethanol percentage. I can live with a few know it alls thinking I’m doing It wrong. So Keep modding!

Last edited:

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You answered your own question. The pcm will add timing til knock is detected. once knock is detected it starts pulling timing. With the higher octane of the ethanol. And the chemical cooling of the ethanol. The knock threshold will be higher to begin with.
[/QUOTE unfortunately the PCM has set timing parameters and doesn't just keep advancing the timing until it detects knock and back off the timing. The PCM only backs the timing off when it detects knock. All liquids have a cooling effect when evaporating, not just ethanol. With DI ethanol has no cooling effect.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Do you buy gas in leadville - wondering what the price delta is between mid grade and premium, I filled up at a Maverick station in Denver where 91 was $2.79, just .40 more regular.

I've only used 91 in the Ranger, used to putting that in my Saab where I most always used 91, there is an immediate difference in power between 87 and 91 with the 2.3T Saab, it used ion sensing in the cc to to control knock rather than acoustic detection. In my 2.0T Hyundai I mostly use 87 as premium makes little difference, the engine management system is clearly designed for 87 octane.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you buy gas in leadville - wondering what the price delta is between mid grade and premium, I filled up at a Maverick station in Denver where 91 was $2.79, just .40 more regular.

I've only used 91 in the Ranger, used to putting that in my Saab where I most always used 91, there is an immediate difference in power between 87 and 91 with the 2.3T Saab, it used ion sensing in the cc to to control knock rather than acoustic detection. In my 2.0T Hyundai I mostly use 87 as premium makes little difference, the engine management system is clearly designed for 87 octane.
Let him go in Leadville 91 is $3.08 right now. I just moved down to Salida and down there it looks like it's closer to $3.25. Thankfully I use the Conoco app which saves me $0.25 a gallon every time so that helps me a little bit here and there.

I have also noticed it varies by vehicle to whether or not 91 is going to help. In the Rangers even though they are important us that we can run 87 it is still better to run 91 or above. In my old Frontier that I had which was 2016 I only ran 87 and it did just fine. In my 1983 280ZX I run 91 in it because it is a old turbo car and I know it'll do better with that overall.

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
something else to keep in mine that even though the octane may be the same, 91, different brands have different additive packages so they can give better mileage and performance

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Let him go in Leadville 91 is $3.08 right now. I just moved down to Salida and down there it looks like it's closer to $3.25. Thankfully I use the Conoco app which saves me $0.25 a gallon every time so that helps me a little bit here and there.

I have also noticed it varies by vehicle to whether or not 91 is going to help. In the Rangers even though they are important us that we can run 87 it is still better to run 91 or above. In my old Frontier that I had which was 2016 I only ran 87 and it did just fine. In my 1983 280ZX I run 91 in it because it is a old turbo car and I know it'll do better with that overall.
I've taken several trips to pagosa in the last few months, hoping to buy property there and gas is pretty cheap there - $2.29 for regular. On my 1st road trip in June (bought ranger in May) I passed an unmarked police car on red hill pass, he didn't pulled me over though for maybe 10 more miles, clocked me at 75 mph in a 55, asked me if there was some emergency why I was driving so fast, I said no officer I just got carried away with my new truck. He went back to his car, I sat for maybe 10 minutes and he let me go with a warning, the ranger is my lucky charm.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've taken several trips to pagosa in the last few months, hoping to buy property there and gas is pretty cheap there - $2.29 for regular. On my 1st road trip in June (bought ranger in May) I passed an unmarked police car on red hill pass, he didn't pulled me over though for maybe 10 more miles, clocked me at 75 mph in a 55, asked me if there was some emergency why I was driving so fast, I said no officer I just got carried away with my new truck. He went back to his car, I sat for maybe 10 minutes and he let me go with a warning, the ranger is my lucky charm.
Lol cant complain about that cop.

Also remember that here in Colorado regular is 85 and that is a big no no for our trucks. Is see people run that in thier vehicles around and I think it is stupid. If I remember correctly I read somewhere that said itnis for the older carburated vehicles for the high elevation. With that said I wouldn't bother with regular gas in Colorado and stick with mid grade or higher.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
What he said!

From my following of this argument, and that is what it turned into, is between running 100% E85 and Big D's mix of a couple of gallons of E85 and 17 gallons of 87 octane E10. I think we can ALL agree Running straight E85 in a stock truck is not a good thing. If I did the math right his mix makes it about E18, not sure where the octane shakes out. I little higher than reccomennded but not terrible. I'm not sure if the hassle is worth cost savings or minimal performance gains you'll see with a stock truck.

So can't we agree to disagree and get back to some more productive discussions this forum was meant for. Let Big D do his mix thing, let the rest of us fill-up with our overpriced 91-93 premium, and all of us enjoy the ride .
That's exactly what I was thinking as well. Adding 1 or two gallons of E85 is basically just making it E15 so I don't see what the benefit is.
P.S. I am literally laughing at the name Big D.
Sponsored