First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Carbonized Gray SuperCab STX FX4
Occupation
MH/FE Parts Salesman
I run 91 in mine. It was much happier with it in the summer here where it gets over 110*F pretty regularly.
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I have tried both 87 and 91 over the summer. Seemed to like the higher octane better, but gas mileage seemed comparable. I went a long time running 87 then noticed a decline in MPG since late fall. My last tank I opted for 91 and there was an immediate albeit slight increase in MPG. I owe it to summer vs. winter fuel blends and temperatures. Your mileage may vary, as your experience.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
What about using octane booster,since I only can get 90 octane in my area?
The owner’s manual is not great, but you should spend some time familiarizing yourself with its contents. Some additives will do more harm than good. From the manual:

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.
Do not use:
• Diesel fuel.
• Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
• Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
• Fuels containing methanol.
• Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
• Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
• Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
My truck is a yr old, I always used 87. Winter/spring I was getting 18mpg, summer was looking good with 23mpg but now back to 18mpg :( .
I will use 91 when I'll tow a TT or on trail. It's what the manual says.
If gas ever drops to 1.20 a liter I will test with 91, just for giggles.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Welcome to the forum Charles. IMHO mine runs fine on regular. If you're just using the truck normal I think you'll be fine. If you're towing, or doing any heavy work I'd go with premium to give you max performance.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I plan to run premium. Main reason I bought the Ranger is as a tow vehicle, so I want it ready to tow when ever needed. That and if I put the same gas in the car and truck the odds of my messing up and putting regular in the car that requires premium is lower.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I'm careful not to use that stuff coming out of the strategic petroleum reserve, I don't think they added stabilizer to it before storing and the elevated salt content may rust out the cc and other fuel system components.

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
I'm careful not to use that stuff coming out of the strategic petroleum reserve, I don't think they added stabilizer to it before storing and the elevated salt content may rust out the cc and other fuel system components.
Makes sense…but how will you know whether or not the fuel is from the strategic reserve?

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
93 octane at Costco. I used to only use Shell V-Power (93 octane), but Costco is $1.30 less a gallon right now. Seems to run great with the FPP tune

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I had some real spicy mexi for dinner last nite....should result in some high octane, 91 to 93, gas later today. Now if I could only figure out a way to get it into the Ranger.......:crackup::crackup::crackup:

bla-bla-bla-fart.gif

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Strategic petroleum reserve is crude oil. I would think anything that leached into it would be removed during the refining process.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
It's crude so I am not sure if it's necessary to add anything before it's refined.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
You should be extra careful, since the SPR holds only unrefined crude oil. That’s not on Ford’s list of approved fuels ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
You should be extra careful, since the SPR holds only unrefined crude oil. That’s not on Ford’s list of approved fuels ?
I'm completely receptive to feedback from what appears to be a chrome package comrade.
Sponsored