Regular or Premium Fuel?

Are you using Regular (87) or Premium (91-93)?

• Total voters

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I use 91. Page 136 of the owners manual says 87 is the minimum required but if you continue reading on page 137 it says
"For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer"
So, guys, to sum up, for the non-technically inclined (like me), as long as I do not intend to pull or load much, as long as I do not drive in extreme heat or in high mountains, as long as I do not exceed the speed limit (by much), and as long as I am happy with the performance, I can go ahead and save a bundle by using regular, 87 octane gas, and it will do no harm to my engine? (F.Y.I., I have ordered but not yet received a loaded Lariat.) Thanks so much to all members for all the free advice, which is very helpful in planning for the happy day when the damn thing finally shows up!
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
So, guys, to sum up, for the non-technically inclined (like me), as long as I do not intend to pull or load much, as long as I do not drive in extreme heat or in high mountains, as long as I do not exceed the speed limit (by much), and as long as I am happy with the performance, I can go ahead and save a bundle by using regular, 87 octane gas, and it will do no harm to my engine? (F.Y.I., I have ordered but not yet received a loaded Lariat.) Thanks so much to all members for all the free advice, which is very helpful in planning for the happy day when the damn thing finally shows up!
Yea 87 is fine.

RobertU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2001 Ford Ranger XLT
Congrats on ordering your Ranger. You will be pleased. I am curious why so many people are ordering them. When I purchased I shopped on fords web site . I built what I was looking for. Found it within 50 miles of my home. I live in NY. I bought in NJ. Pre ordering was something I never considered. I could never wait weeks for something I want. Guess I’m impulsive. Is it a geographic thing as far as inventory.. I can’t imagine that you can’t pick a loaded Lariat close to home by now......
As far as fuel. I keep questioning this myself. Using BP. They sell 87, 89, 93.... started going with 93

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on ordering your Ranger. You will be pleased. I am curious why so many people are ordering them. When I purchased I shopped on fords web site . I built what I was looking for. Found it within 50 miles of my home. I live in NY. I bought in NJ. Pre ordering was something I never considered. I could never wait weeks for something I want. Guess I’m impulsive. Is it a geographic thing as far as inventory.. I can’t imagine that you can’t pick a loaded Lariat close to home by now......
As far as fuel. I keep questioning this myself. Using BP. They sell 87, 89, 93.... started going with 93
Well I ordered mine BEFORE Ford was making the super cab, I still not not seen any super cabs n my area. Plus I wanted what I wanted. Lol. This is my last truck. Or at least that is my plan

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Well I ordered mine BEFORE Ford was making the super cab, I still not not seen any super cabs n my area. Plus I wanted what I wanted. Lol. This is my last truck. Or at least that is my plan
This

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
One reason I Buy Ford only is because they engineer their vehicles for us regular people. Unless you buy a high performance Ford you don't have to use any special high dollar oil you don't have to use premium fuel. Buy a VW, Toyota or even any GM vehicle you have to buy synthetic oil Ford you do not. My ranger is my daily driver I use 87 octane.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One reason I Buy Ford only is because they engineer their vehicles for us regular people. Unless you buy a high performance Ford you don't have to use any special high dollar oil you don't have to use premium fuel. Buy a VW, Toyota or even any GM vehicle you have to buy synthetic oil Ford you do not. My ranger is my daily driver I use 87 octane.
I will change to full synthetic oil after about 20k miles. I know that is old school thinking that if you use synthetic oil to soon the rings do not fully set, but I am old

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I will change to full synthetic oil after about 20k miles. I know that is old school thinking that if you use synthetic oil to soon the rings do not fully set, but I am old
I have used Mobil 1 in my Escape I'm thinking of using Motorcraft synthetic blend in the Ranger.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have used Mobil 1 in my Escape I'm thinking of using Motorcraft synthetic blend in the Ranger.
I normally use Mobil one. Maybe some smart guy who’s what is better

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
My last three tanks have been 87, 89, and 93 octane. I've not noticed any difference in MPG.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I normally use Mobil one. Maybe some smart guy who’s what is better
I believe as long as you use a good quality oil you'll be ok I have read several different oil tests and Motorcraft oil rates on par with the "best" oils.

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Maybe I’m just a sucker but I only run 93 all day.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use both. I fill up at half a tank switching between 93 and 87 each half tank. Top Tier only, My latest 100 mile trip delivered 29MPG using roads between towns with occasional 60 MPH speeds all the way down to 25MPH

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Dear Robert: Thanks for your reply. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I did ordered my Ranger for several, personal reasons: I do not want a vehicle that has been sitting around a lot and inspected, test-driven etc. by who-knows-how-many strangers; I had a very exacting list of specifications that I developed over months of research and did not want to compromise on anything; I have a lot of confidence in my local dealer (where I bought my first Ford), and so I wanted to work with them from start to finish; I am going on a long trip out of the country this summer, and I did not want to buy a hot new vehicle and then leave it in my garage for two months. This way, I get exactly the model I want, at exactly the time I want it, and can pick it up myself from the dealer that I trust when I return from my trip. Sorry to be so long-winded, but you asked....
Sponsored