First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
.4-.5mpg according to resetting the Speedo via forscan and driving 11 hours Thursday. I would add that before, the factory speedo seemed to register 1-2mph faster than GPS and now it matches GPS exactly.

original configuration:
-265/60R18 Hankook ATM’s
-stock height

now:
-265/70R18 Toyo AT3’s
-Eibach 3” up front, 1” block rear
-little air dams on each side of the FX4 skid plate removed

no tuner or anything yet, driven 100% in drive (not sport mode), and all highway for a baseline.
Sponsored

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
I realize that there is an MPG thread. However, I thought it would be helpful if we created a thread that reports your mileage loss when upgrading to larger tires. We all know this is a given, but it would be nice to get an idea of what to expect from other people's experiences for those who are trying to decide how large they want to go.

List the size of the tire, rated load range, brand and model, weight (if possible), and mileage loss.
I went through about six tanks of gas with stock hancook 265/65/17 using 65mph as cruise control, followed by around six tanks of gas with duratrac 255/75/17 (32.1") also using 65mph cruise control. mostly highway. for whatever reason i have never hit the advertised mpg with this truck ever since we bought it, despite being gentle on the gas.

i was getting 23.3 mpg with hancooks, now getting 22.0 mpg with duratracs. this is calculated from gas tank fills and odometer, not the dashboard calcs. no other changes made (no lift, level, etc). in general my dash thinks my mpg is about 1.5mpg better than it really is after tire size adjustment made in forscan.

short story: 1.3mpg loss with the new tires which are about 1.5" taller, and 5 lbs heavier than stock.

im sure other folks would like numbers too. these kind of numbers were influential in my choices about what/whether to change tires. thanks for making this thread.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I'm on 265 75r16 (31.6) on 3/1" lift. Lost about 1-2mpg after recalibrating my speedo. Avg 19mpg mixed, 22-23 all highway

Mike leggiero

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
After owning a tundra on 35s my ranger on 295 65 18 procomp mt 2 get 18 mpg . Also have a set of 275 65 18 bfg avg 20 mpg . My truck was stock for 4 days.

Tim G.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Occupational Health and Safety
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew with a 2.5 inch level to fit the 265/70R18's (approx 32.6") and a 5 star 93 perf tune. previously i was able to consistently get around 25 to 26 mpg (95% highway driving) and now with the level kit, tires and tune the most ive seen is around 21.5mpg but more realistically with your average stop and go driving im at around 17mpg. i might throw the stock tune on just to see the difference because i had done a stock tune and tires test vs perf tune and stock tires test and it was about a 3.5-4 mpg difference.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew with a 2.5 inch level to fit the 265/70R18's (approx 32.6") and a 5 star 93 perf tune. previously i was able to consistently get around 25 to 26 mpg (95% highway driving) and now with the level kit, tires and tune the most ive seen is around 21.5mpg but more realistically with your average stop and go driving im at around 17mpg. i might throw the stock tune on just to see the difference because i had done a stock tune and tires test vs perf tune and stock tires test and it was about a 3.5-4 mpg difference.
That's a pretty big hit on mpg. When I first leveled mine and got new tires (same as yours but in 17's) mine went down about 2 mpg. Since getting my Livernois tune I gained that loss back and you can see in my sig below I'm averaging 21.8. I don't do a lot of highway driving but on my last highway trip to MX I averaged 26 with the ACC set to 75 both ways. As long as I drive it normal I'm still getting good mileage but as soon as you get on it you can watch the mpg tick down.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like to be able to report my stats but I’m really not sure if it’s my 32” tires, pocket fender flares, step nerfs, canopy, pioneer platform, level kit, removal of the air dam, or that I drive it like I stole it. Lucky for me, I haven’t even figured out how to locate those stats on my dash.

However, I’m sure that if I install a damper, I‘ll get it all back with a big bump in hp to boot.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’d like to be able to report my stats but I’m really not sure if it’s my 32” tires, pocket fender flares, step nerfs, canopy, pioneer platform, level kit, removal of the air dam, or that I drive it like I stole it. Lucky for me, I haven’t even figured out how to locate those stats on my dash.

However, I’m sure that if I install a damper, I‘ll get it all back with a big bump in hp to boot.
Geeze Duke from the hundreds thousands of posts I've made about the dampers hp/torque gains I can't believe you're still holding out. ? I'd post the complimentary link but it won't work up there.?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Geeze Duke from the hundreds thousands of posts I've made about the dampers hp/torque gains I can't believe you're still holding out. ? I'd post the complimentary link but it won't work up there.?
What - it increases torque? Game changer! ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
15.6 MPG with 295/70/R17 BFG KM3s on a 3.5' lift.

Last time I posted manufacturer specs for my wheels I got all kinds of responses about how I was wrong, so all the other details asked for, interested members can look it up on their own.

I have additional weight on my rig that affects my MPG so take the figures with a grain of salt.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
What - it increases torque? Game changer! ?
And promotes healthier gums!
(do not install if you are or contemplating becoming pregnant. Some have had bleeding from pinched fingers installing the damper which in rare cases could result in death. Remove the damper if you become irritable, experience insomnia, nirvana, hallucinations or become suicidal because of ridicule on ranger5g, Tacoma World, Jeep Gladiator Forum, or 355.net[Colorado/GMC]. Ask your doctor if if it is safe for you to lower your tailgate without an assistant).

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
That's a pretty big hit on mpg. When I first leveled mine and got new tires (same as yours but in 17's) mine went down about 2 mpg. Since getting my Livernois tune I gained that loss back and you can see in my sig below I'm averaging 21.8. I don't do a lot of highway driving but on my last highway trip to MX I averaged 26 with the ACC set to 75 both ways. As long as I drive it normal I'm still getting good mileage but as soon as you get on it you can watch the mpg tick down.
how the heck are you getting 26? we have never gotten close to that, even with stock truck, stock wheels, tonneau, cruise control on 70, unloaded all highway, not passing people.

ive heard folks talk about a tune helping mpg a few times. im interested. by my napkin math (using data from my truck and local 87 octane gas) a 500$ tune that improves mpg by 2 mpg would pay itself back after 42k miles driving. but the livernois site doesnt mention anything about mpg, just performance improvements, and we are quite satisified with the performance stock.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
how the heck are you getting 26? we have never gotten close to that, even with stock truck, stock wheels, tonneau, cruise control on 70, unloaded all highway, not passing people.

ive heard folks talk about a tune helping mpg a few times. im interested. by my napkin math (using data from my truck and local 87 octane gas) a 500$ tune that improves mpg by 2 mpg would pay itself back after 42k miles driving. but the livernois site doesnt mention anything about mpg, just performance improvements, and we are quite satisified with the performance stock.
I'm running 32's with a 2.5" level and was at 75 mph.

IMG_3382.jpg

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
I'm running 32's with a 2.5" level and was at 75 mph.
i think you just have some special "gas sipper" edition. i am jealous. we run 32s, no lift/level, cruise control on 65, gentle on the gas, and still get 20-21mpg.
Sponsored