Occupation
Vagabond

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
How many of those changing tire size are calibrating their speedometer to where the gas mileage average is actually accurate after the change too?

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How many of those changing tire size are calibrating their speedometer to wear the gas mileage average is actually accurate after the change too?
I did mine following the directions here. I'm within .2 now. Plus I use the Fuelly app to verify.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
How many of those changing tire size are calibrating their speedometer to where the gas mileage average is actually accurate after the change too?
when you change tire size in forscan, i was assuming it changes speed and mpg calcs together because both are based on the same dimension.

for example: while my speed calc seems dead-on (after adjusting for new tires), my mpg calc remains off. it always claims im doing 1 or 3 mpg better than the gas station calculations prove, before or after the tire change.

so if your speed and your mpg were accurate before a tire change and forscan tire size change, they should both recalculate accurately afterwards together.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I went from 255/65-17 Bridgestone Dueler AT RH-S to a 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3. With the Old Man EMU lift at the same time I lost 0.5 MPG overall. After getting it tuned I got that back plus an extra 2 MPG.
Which tune did you get?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d like to be able to report my stats but Iā€™m really not sure if itā€™s my 32ā€ tires, pocket fender flares, step nerfs, canopy, pioneer platform, level kit, removal of the air dam, or that I drive it like I stole it. Lucky for me, I havenā€™t even figured out how to locate those stats on my dash.

However, Iā€™m sure that if I install a damper, Iā€˜ll get it all back with a big bump in hp to boot.
You go Duke!!

Bowman

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Construction
I first went to 265/70/17 BFG KM3, and noticed a little performance loss just from the added weight and slight height increase but mileage was only slightly lower if I drove it nice. Then I added the 2.5" level up front and eventually put on 285/70/17 Milestar Patagonia and it was a much more noticeable decrease in off the line performance, and mileage dropped from 25 hwy to 21 hwy driving nice, and all around was about 18 after. Then I added the Ford Performance tune which allowed me to correct the speedo, but it gave me back enough low end torque that if feels better than stock for performance and the mileage came back up. Some of that is correcting the speedo but the added power really helps too. Back to 24/25 hwy if I'm good and all around I'm averaging 19/20 but it's hard to not step on it next to a diesel Dodge, Tacoma, Colorado... ok, any truck. Haha

Tim G.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Occupational Health and Safety
That's a pretty big hit on mpg. When I first leveled mine and got new tires (same as yours but in 17's) mine went down about 2 mpg. Since getting my Livernois tune I gained that loss back and you can see in my sig below I'm averaging 21.8. I don't do a lot of highway driving but on my last highway trip to MX I averaged 26 with the ACC set to 75 both ways. As long as I drive it normal I'm still getting good mileage but as soon as you get on it you can watch the mpg tick down.
if thats the case then its likely to be with my 5 star tune. i keep the performance tune on in all of my driving and i need to do some data logging to get some kinks out.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
if thats the case then its likely to be with my 5 star tune. i keep the performance tune on in all of my driving and i need to do some data logging to get some kinks out.
I don't know much about 5 star but I've read some other posts from those who have it and they seemed pretty happy with it. I run the 91-93 performance tune all the time and only change it back to stock if I'm doing a lot of off roading. Maybe check out the 5 star posts and see if anyone else had any issues?

Wasatch Wranger

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Ok need some advice from the big tire crew. I bought a 2019 that is lifted and has 33 x 12.50 mud tires on it. I'm only averaging 14.5 mpg, and not cracking 20 mpg on the highway. Does that seem low to you? (It does to me!) Help!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ok need some advice from the big tire crew. I bought a 2019 that is lifted and has 33 x 12.50 mud tires on it. I'm only averaging 14.5 mpg, and not cracking 20 mpg on the highway. Does that seem low to you? (It does to me!) Help!
The biggest thing thay is most likely affecting this is the mud terrains. They are usually heavier and being a 12.50 makes them wider than stock which also drains fuel economy. My suggestion os get differnt tires and or get a tune from a reputable company like Livernois or Ford Performance. That is my input.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sounds about right for what you have. Much more drag lifted and a lot of rolling resistance with those tires. For example I'm running 265/70/17 (32's) a Livernois tune with a 2.5" level and averaging 21.8. This is a mix 75 city/25 highway. On my last trip which was all highway at 75 mph with the ACC set I averaged 26.1.

IMG_3382.jpg

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I'd be up for maybe 1 size up in overall diameter, I think the width is fine. After I did the 2.5" front leveling lift I could see filling the wells a bit more once the stock hoops are worn if i dont trade it in. I'm at 19k now, my stock size is P255 65R17, wont buy new rims..I really like the Cooper SRX's I've had them before.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Sounds about right for what you have. Much more drag lifted and a lot of rolling resistance with those tires. For example I'm running 265/70/17 (32's) a Livernois tune with a 2.5" level and averaging 21.8. This is a mix 75 city/25 highway. On my last trip which was all highway at 75 mph with the ACC set I averaged 26.1.

IMG_3382.jpg
Thats what i plan to run. i have the bilsteins waiting yo go on. problem here is cold weather drops my mpg by 2 if its freezing or worse
Sponsored