Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Good grief...I'm 62 and I probably changed the Ranger's oil more than anyone here with 53,000 miles on the odometer...I do have a Futomo valve with an extension hose...that is enough to make the oil change a zero stress event...Yes you will need TWO catch bucket...one for the main oil and another smaller one for the oil filer drain...other than that, this process is hell of a lot easier than any of my other vehicles which requires bringing out my jack and jack stands!!!...and that to me is a major PIA...I so appreciate being able to crawl under my truck anytime without jacking it up period! ?

OP
OP
meistreguy

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Good grief...I'm 62 and I probably changed the Ranger's oil more than anyone here with 53,000 miles on the odometer...I do have a Futomo valve with an extension hose...that is enough to make the oil change a zero stress event...Yes you will need TWO catch bucket...one for the main oil and another smaller one for the oil filer drain...other than that, this process is hell of a lot easier than any of my other vehicles which requires bringing out my jack and jack stands!!!...and that to me is a major PIA...I so appreciate being able to crawl under my truck anytime without jacking it up period! ?
Exactly!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Which Fumoto valve fits our truck?

Their website doesn't list the Ranger.
If you want at alternative to the Fumoto valve look at the Valvomax . I like the way it seals better. Also American and veteran owned.

OP
OP
meistreguy

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
If you want at alternative to the Fumoto valve look at the Valvomax . I like the way it seals better. Also American and veteran owned.
For me, I don't rely on the washer thing, I wrap the threads between 5-8 times with teflon tape.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
For me, I don't rely on the washer thing, I wrap the threads between 5-8 times with teflon tape.
Didn't mean the seal in the oil pan. I went how the valve seals between oil changes and the cap.

OP
OP
meistreguy

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't mean the seal in the oil pan. I went how the valve seals between oil changes and the cap.
Gotcha. It seals awesome. On the valve there is a cloth-like washer but the ball itself seals fine just like any other ball valve.

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
Yes, I just did my first oil change this past Monday. I am looking into this for personal reasons as I am not

I just did my first oil change this past Monday FYI. I have some mobility issues at times and having access to the oil filter from below would make it easier for me. Also put on the Fumoto drain valve so the next change will be easier and more convenient.
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE PART NUMBER YOU USED WHEN YOU PURCHASED THE FUMOTO DRAIN VALVE AND WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE IT FROM, AMAZON?

OP
OP
meistreguy

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE PART NUMBER YOU USED WHEN YOU PURCHASED THE FUMOTO DRAIN VALVE AND WHERE DID YOU PURCHASE IT FROM, AMAZON?
Contact Fumoto directly and after you give them your vehicle info they will tell you what parts go to your specific vehicle.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Old thread or not, hell yeah!! I like to here these stories so I know in 30 years there is still hope for me to be a stubborn guy that does his own maintenance! I assume your night vision is suffering though. ?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread or not, hell yeah!! I like to here these stories so I know in 30 years there is still hope for me to be a stubborn guy that does his own maintenance! I assume your night vision is suffering though. ?
LOL...I'm 64 now and closer to 100K...that makes round about 20 oil changes...

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
One ”catch bucket”. First do the oil filter then move it over to the drain plug. Done.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One ”catch bucket”. First do the oil filter then move it over to the drain plug. Done.
I prefer to do them both simultaneously so there's no trapped oil...

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Fumoto for the Ranger's is the F107SX. It is designed to fit in the recessed notch that the OE drain plug sits in.
A regular type Fumoto won't fit properly as there isn't enough room in the notch/recess to screw it in properly.
I have the F107SX, via Amazon, around $31-$32, and it works perfectly. Been using Fumotos on all my vehicles for a lot of years, and never had a problem .

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I prefer to do them both simultaneously so there's no trapped oil...
There is no “trapped oil”. The oil in the pan is the oil in the pan.
Sponsored