First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Well shit, now you have me thinking that my hoses are on backwards. And yes they are a Freaking Pain in the Arse to get to
Sponsored

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Well shit, now you have me thinking that my hoses are on backwards. And yes they are a Freaking Pain in the Arse to get to
It doesn't look like the Mishimoto kit has a check valve in either line so I don't think the hoses could be installed backwards.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
It doesn't look like the Mishimoto kit has a check valve in either line so I don't think the hoses could be installed backwards.
Just looked at their website again, your correct doesn't look like a check is involved just blow through. Plus damn-it I'm pretty good at following directions. LOL

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Quick update. No more fuel smell after switching the lines. Also got to dump some iced coffee looking fluid from the can today.

EF8B25C9-77E5-4E1F-9901-D121F611AC52.jpeg

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
While I was checking in my CC today, I noticed the sweat band on the crank case breather was SOAKED. Wiped everything down real good and put on a new sweat band. Checked the oil and everything looked good on that end.

6AE530FC-0A09-4AFA-AECD-8726CF040DD3.jpeg

F98D3496-13CA-48BD-9307-FAC13FED7C8D.jpeg

852AC964-B458-43A0-AE4F-54CF76559865.jpeg

0160A7AF-89E9-42CF-B6AC-7087A492607B.jpeg

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So I got to thinking about oil because of a discussion on an SVT forum I am part of, and I thought about how I have been using 5w40 with pretty good results, but what if there might be something else I could try. Thinking about how our long block assembly is basically stolen from the Focus RS, I looked up what they use. 5w50 synthetic from the factory. I am going to try it. Right now I have some 5w40 waiting to go in, so on the change after the next one (in a couple of hundred miles) I will be trying 5w50 synthetic. I'll report back in a few months, lol.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
What do mean by " I thought about how I have been using 5w40 with pretty good results " ?

I wouldn't put 5w50 in a stock Ranger.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Right now I have some 5w40 waiting to go in, so on the change after the next one (in a couple of hundred miles) I will be trying 5w50 synthetic. I'll report back in a few months, lol.
Report back what? I don't see how you could possibly evaluate if that oil has been better , worse or no change. the job of oil is to protect the engine from friction and wear. There is no way to properly evaluate this without tearing down the engine and inspect it.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Report back what? I don't see how you could possibly evaluate if that oil has been better , worse or no change. the job of oil is to protect the engine from friction and wear. There is no way to properly evaluate this without tearing down the engine and inspect it.
I just want to report on what the catch can contents look like. Since this is the catch can thread and all. Looking at oil dilution (fuel). Not gonna do any internet jockey oil analysis, etc.

Right now I have mostly moisture, but it's tainted with a little fuel. Mostly smell. Won't burn. Since going to 5w40 Pennzoil Platinum Euro I see very little dilution. But, I thought since a truck application can be comperable to a high performance application due to how the engine is worked, trying what Ford recommended for the RS would be a good experiment. The thin oil our Rangers originally call for is mostly for fuel mileage gains IMHO.

Reactions: Doc

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
The thin oil our Rangers originally call for is mostly for fuel mileage gains IMHO.
Yes, for fuel mileage gains, but why do they get better fuel economy? See below for what I found to answer this question:

Engines are Built to Use a Certain Viscosity of Motor Oil
Today’s advanced engines are built with much tighter tolerances than their predecessors. The clearances between the crankshaft journals and main bearings are tighter, for one. This is purposely done to allow modern engines to use lower-viscosity motor oil, like 0W-20 and even 0W-16.

Lower-viscosity oils reduce internal friction since they flow more easily than higher-viscosity oils, improving fuel economy.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
The thin oil our Rangers originally call for is mostly for fuel mileage gains IMHO.
Assuming my post above is correct, and lower viscosity oils actually reduce friction. Then what do you expect to accomplish? Just what is in the catch can?
Since I am no expert on engine friction and wear, I would never change the oil the manufacturer calls for.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I wouldn't put 5w50 in a stock Ranger.
me neither. I trust the engineers to occasionally get some things correct, oil viscosity being one of them.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
fwiw, the manual on the Lightning says to use 5w-20, been using 5w-30 for roughly 100k miles.
Then again, thats 2004, dunno if the tolerances for the 2.3 are tighter.
Running 0w-30 in the ranger for about 7.5k miles. Always figured the lower weight helps protect the engine at cold start better.

5W-50 seems high to me, only thing i had that used that was a '12 gt500. The hellcat motors use 0w-40.
My bike uses 10w-40 per factory and its noisy for a bit before quieting down.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc