Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
That's what mine looked like after a few months of putting off checking it. What was strange is I dumped it in a solo cup and the next day it evaporated. I was just left with residue in the cup.
Awesome ?? glad to hear that’s regular. Cue naked gun gif “nothing to see here folks”

FCA57BBB-9F46-4AE8-BD57-71B0E8DAAA54.gif
Sponsored

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I put my catch can in almost a year ago. When we have cold mornings here in the winter (central Arizona) I get a little tan sludge in the can (maybe a couple of ounces), but nothing drains out the rest of the year.

I'd say if you live somewhere like Newark, Dayton or Detroit get a can, if you live in Key West, Houston or Phoenix forget about it. That can isn't going to trap much if it's warm out most of the year.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I put my catch can in almost a year ago. When we have cold mornings here in the winter (central Arizona) I get a little tan sludge in the can (maybe a couple of ounces), but nothing drains out the rest of the year.

I'd say if you live somewhere like Newark, Dayton or Detroit get a can, if you live in Key West, Houston or Phoenix forget about it. That can isn't going to trap much if it's warm out most of the year.
Except I got all kinds of crap out of mine in South Florida.

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting. Maybe different results because of running different catch cans ?
I have the UPR Dual.

Also the big difference in humidity between Florida and Arizona.
When I get more in the can, it is not only colder here (at least at night) but much more humid than normal for the high desert. So maybe condensation is a factor in how much the can will collect.
Those of you who are engineers can chime in.

From late December to late March the mornings here at 3800 feet are always in the low 20's, but by noon it is 55-60. When I went to work before dawn last winter, or took off to another town while it was still cold out, I got a surprising amount of iced Mocha looking crap that had a slight fuel smell.

If I stayed home later in the morning before driving somewhere and it had warmed up outside, hardly any in the can every day, just a few drops come out of the drain line.
During the warm months I get nothing from the can, not even a few drops.

We are now having our "Monsoon" season, thunderstorms nearly every afternoon in all directions in this big valley. The Monsoon lasts maybe a month and a half, and we go from our normal 20% humidity to 60% and more during the rains.
So I'll check the can once in a while now that the storm season is here.

I bought my Ranger last September after the summer rains stopped, so haven't been through a summer with it yet.
Besides summer the only other time we get rain is during the few colder months, not as wild of storms as summer, but the rain is welcome when you know you won't see any more for 4 months.
Those cold morning drives (and more humidity) had me draining the can every other day if not daily.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Anyone know if UPR sells replacement fittings for their hoses? The snap fitting for the catch can is loosey goosey all of a sudden and won’t stay firmly connected to the can.

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
After 802 posts the answer is still no.

Especially now that everybody is having problems with the catch can hoses.

Last edited:

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
After 802 posts the answer is still no.

Especially now that everybody is having problems with the catch can hoses.
didn’t realize that question has been asked before…

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Just a week ago I bought 2 of these and already have caught 4 chipmunks, no comparison to what my catch can has managed in a year or so, and the motel mouse was just $19.95 vs $225 for the UPR catch can, save your money and buy something that actually works.

1656964120761.png

Tremors

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Xlt FX-4
Just a week ago I bought 2 of these and already have caught 4 chipmunks, no comparison to what my catch can has managed in a year or so, and the motel mouse was just $19.95 vs $225 for the UPR catch can, save your money and buy something that actually works.

1656964120761.png
Ha ha, I've never had a problem with traditional mouse traps and they're cheap. Thanks for the encrypted response

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Ha ha, I've never had a problem with traditional mouse traps and they're cheap. Thanks for the encrypted response
I've had no issues with the UPR hardware, however it was a pain to install and the only time the can had much in it was a late winter trip from Pagosa to Denver where it was rain and snow for both legs of the trip, in dry conditions there is only a few ounces in the can. I will say the UPR hoses are continental and appear to be up to the task.

Tremors

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Xlt FX-4
I've had no issues with the UPR hardware, however it was a pain to install and the only time the can had much in it was a late winter trip from Pagosa to Denver where it was rain and snow for both legs of the trip, in dry conditions there is only a few ounces in the can. I will say the UPR hoses are continental and appear to be up to the task.
"had much in it". That is past tense. So, it sounds like you don't find them useful even though it's capturing something.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
We won’t actually have the full answer until someone with one had their engine inspected and compare it with someone stock.
Sponsored