Oil Above Dot

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
Got the first oil change at quick lane. Checked level today and it's a 1/4" above the dot. Should I be concerned and have them remove some?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Can you show picture please? Just want to make sure of what you have going on.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Got the first oil change at quick lane. Checked level today and it's a 1/4" above the dot. Should I be concerned and have them remove some?
Drain it or have them do it, and do not continue to drive it with the oil overfilled. If you do it yourself, catch the oil in something clean so you can use it again to fill to the proper level. I’d be hesitant to take it back there again. Also, when checking the oil make sure to follow the owner’s manual to ensure an accurate reading; I believe you must wait ~15 minutes after key off, though, don’t quote me on that. Best of luck.

OP
OP

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drain it or have them do it, and do not continue to drive it with the oil overfilled. If you do it yourself, catch the oil in something clean so you can use it again to fill to the proper level. I’d be hesitant to take it back there again. Also, when checking the oil make sure to follow the owner’s manual to ensure an accurate reading; I believe you must wait ~15 minutes after key off, though, don’t quote me on that. Best of luck.
It's pretty slight. The mechanic figured 7 quarts to the twist. I'm thinking maybe a cup or less extra.

Last edited:

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Iys
It's pretty slight. The mechanic figured 7 quarts to the twist. I'm thinking maybe a cup or less extra.
If 7 quarts were added after draining the old oil you would have about a quart too much oil in the engine. That is NOT GOOD.
I wonder about a place that pretty much does nothing but oil changes and can't get it right. I would drain a quart out and verify that the correct amount is in the engine.
I also would never spend any money at that place again.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Iys
Hi Bruce,

The owner's manual indicates 6.2 qts including the oil in the filter. I hope the 7 qts are speculation on the part of the mechanic and not what he put in your engine...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Iys
If 7 quarts were in fact added, that would be .8 quarts (3.2 cups) over spec and would explain the level you described. In order to guarantee that severe engine damage does not occur one must drain the oil and refill to the proper level. The real danger is that the counter balances on the crankshaft may hit the oil causing catastrophic damage. Imagine a belly flop from the high dive at your local pool, except the belly is the counter balance and the pool is the oil. Add the fact that warranty I highly unlikely to cover damage due to fluid capacity specifications being ignored, the Ford techs will be able to identify the cause quite readily. I’d bring the truck back to where you had it changed and let them correct the oil level.

OP
OP

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Bruce,

The owner's manual indicates 6.2 qts including the oil in the filter. I hope the 7 qts are speculation on the part of the mechanic and not what he put in your engine...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
No. It was speculated that 7 quarts would put the level at the twist. I'm just slightly over the overfill dot.

OP
OP

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If 7 quarts were in fact added, that would be .8 quarts (3.2 cups) over spec and would explain the level you described. In order to guarantee that severe engine damage does not occur one must drain the oil and refill to the proper level. The real danger is that the counter balances on the crankshaft may hit the oil causing catastrophic damage. Imagine a belly flop from the high dive at your local pool, except the belly is the counter balance and the pool is the oil. Add the fact that warranty I highly unlikely to cover damage due to fluid capacity specifications being ignored, the Ford techs will be able to identify the cause quite readily. I’d bring the truck back to where you had it changed and let them correct the oil level.
Don't think 7 quarts was added.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No. It was speculated that 7 quarts would put the level at the twist. I'm just slightly over the overfill dot.
Hi Bruce,

Whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored