John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
About the same time it took to eat my Popeyes chicken sandwich.
No way..... that doesn't count. You had to wait in line for one hour, by time you got there, they were all out and went the next day early so you only waited 10 mins... lmao... :):like:

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Strange...another tailgate with slack on the cable when down...
Mine is the same. Passenger side is tight, drivers has a little bit of slack.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is the same. The passenger side is tight, drivers has a little bit of slack.
same here. Slack is good!!! Installed today. Highly recommend. Although it is rubbing on the outer seal. I still have the inner seal. ( I doubled up seals on the tailgate, My bed stays dry I used a car wash to find trouble areas. Only had one passenger wheel well. I added another seal to the TruXedo LoPro and now completely \water proof.

unnamed (39).jpg

unnamed57.jpg

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
same here. Slack is good!!!
I think a slack cable is the opposite of what you’d want. The cable should be tight before the cylinder tops out or any weight on the tailgate will be on the cylinder instead of the cable.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I will be picking mine up on Saturday. Using FordPass rewards points.
Picked it up today and took all of 5 mins to install. As others have said, works great!

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I think a slack cable is the opposite of what you’d want. The cable should be tight before the cylinder tops out or any weight on the tailgate will be on the cylinder instead of the cable.
You are totally correct. If there is slack in the limiting cable, that means that the damper strut is taking the load of the tailgate. Let's see what happens when someone lowers the tailgate and jumps up on it or loads something heavy into the box when the damper is what is supporting all that weight.

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
the cables were slack before i installed it.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I don't have a damper installed & there is slack in the driver's side cable...passenger side cable seems to be carrying the load.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I don't have a damper installed & there is slack in the driver's side cable...passenger side cable seems to be carrying the load.
Same here and same with damper. Damper has room to extend. It is not holding the tailgate up.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You are totally correct. If there is slack in the limiting cable, that means that the damper strut is taking the load of the tailgate. Let's see what happens when someone lowers the tailgate and jumps up on it or loads something heavy into the box when the damper is what is supporting all that weight.
When I'm working I'm in/out of my bed 5-6 times a day and I use the tailgate to lift myself up into the bed and when exiting I stand on it and jump down. I've had mine installed for 3 weeks now and have had no problems with this.:)

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
The Ranger tailgate is very light weight. When it is down there is almost no load on the cables and it is not surprising that one of them has a little slack in it. But if you sit on the center of your tailgate I think you will see that neither cable has slack and they share the load equally.
Sponsored