First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
If anyone is interested, I could do a write up of how I did it. Didn’t have to cut the bed extender at all.
I'd love more details! Can you easily remove the bed extender if you need to haul something larger? Thanks!
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
When I open my tailgate, as it slowly drops, it groans! I wondered if it was the rubber bushing in the hinge too. But closer inspection showed it was the bottom edge of the tailgate hitting my license plate frame and bowing the plastic bumper trim in. This is worrisome, I'm sure it will eventually rub the paint off at those 2 spots hi-lited in yellow. Hate to remove the frame, but guess I'll have to, and see it it clears. Anyone else have a license plate frame do this?

20200816_100222.jpg
Even without a frame, my plate was close to the tailgate. I found one of the plastic push-pins behind the plate was not fully inserted. With the pins pushed in, the plastic back panel moved forward enough to give the plate more clearance.

Mighty_J

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I'd love more details! Can you easily remove the bed extender if you need to haul something larger? Thanks!
yup! Comes in and out like normal. Just tilt the extender up about 45 degrees and pull. It uses the original bracket. I don’t have a welder, so I had to be a bit creative bit it works well!

here’s the parts...

1) m6 threaded rod (shortest I could buy was 3 ft
2) ¾ inch diameter aluminum tubing (only need a foot, but I could only find an 8 ft piece at Princess Auto.
3) 4 m6 nuts
4) 2 shoulder washers that fit the m6 rod
5) 4 m6 threaded connectors (could also use nuts).
5) blue locktite

here’s what I did...

1) cut 2 pieces of aluminum tube to 5.25 inches
2) cut 2 pieces of the m6 threaded rod to 6.5 inches.
3) take your swing case off the bracket.
4) only take out the top two bolts from the swing case pivot bracket.
5) put locktite on one end of the m6 threads about ½ an inch
6) thread one piece of the m6 threaded bar into the top hole until there is 6 inches remaining showing.
7) place a shoulder washer on the threaded bar, against the bracket.
8) thread two m6 nuts or connectors onto the bar and snug them tight against the bracket (the 2nd one locks the first one in place.
9) slide the aluminum pipe over the rod
10) take one of the plastic spacer washers from the bed extender kit and cap off the aluminum pipe. There should still be thread showing.
11) repeat steps 5 to 10 for the 2nd hole.
12) place the hangar Bracket for the bed extender over the threads that are showing.
13) add another last item spacer washer that came with the bed extender.
14) add some locktite to the ends of the threaded rod.
15) snug an m6 nut onto the end of each rod. Make it tight enough to hold the aluminum pipe and bracket solid.
16) add a 2nd nut to lock the first one in place.

so that gets you your bracket with enough space to clear the swing case. Now for the bed extender...

1) the centre pieces of the bed extender slide into the outer ends.
2) Do just like it says in the instructions, but don’t stop where the bare aluminum ends. Keep pushing both ends all the way until you can’t push them any further.
3) this narrows the bed extender so that it will just fit. Onto the new bracket location.
4) put the right side (not the extended bracket) of the bed extender into bracket.
5) push the left side (the extended bracket) of the bed extender toward the right side and slide it into the bracket. You might have to apply some force. It will be tight!!
6) continental to assemble your bed extender per the instructions.

the only challenge is the left sided strap isn’t long enough to reach the tailgate latch, but the right one does!! I’m going to extend the left one with some webbing.

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I bought a cheap version of this.... and well it's being returned. Maybe I am anal, but the bracket doesn't fit right. The holes are off and the bracket doesn't fit flush. Granted it was $20 and I probably could have forced it, but it wouldn't sit flat.
IMG_3080.jpg

A-Premium Tailgate Assist from Amazon. These bolts aren't loose they are tightened up.

Someone please tell me a brand you used that this bracket fits. As they all look the same.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I bought a cheap version of this.... and well it's being returned. Maybe I am anal, but the bracket doesn't fit right. The holes are off and the bracket doesn't fit flush. Granted it was $20 and I probably could have forced it, but it wouldn't sit flat.
IMG_3080.jpg

A-Premium Tailgate Assist from Amazon. These bolts aren't loose they are tightened up.

Someone please tell me a brand you used that this bracket fits. As they all look the same.
There's a lot of copycat ones out there but only one original which is DeeZee! I've had mine on for almost 3 years and am always in the bed and it still works like brand new.

You can get one from @Stage3Motorsports and it' ll help a great forum sponsor. Plus Frank needs all the sales he can get to keep his job. ?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/dz43206-19-22-ranger-deezee-tailgate-assist.html

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
IMG_3080.jpg

Might want to verify the mounting hole spacing on your tailgate.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yeah, Amazon has a real problem with crappy copycat/fake products. Several of the knock-off dampers have stolen pictures and footage directly from the install video I made and used them in their Amazon listings, which has resulted in people who watched my video thinking they were buying one that I either endorsed or actually used in my video. It's been a real headache fighting with Amazon to get my content removed from these knock-off sellers. But I've won several times so far.

Long story short: ONLY buy the one that is actually made by Dee Zee. Yes, it costs a few bucks more, but it fits perfectly, and works great.

Good luck with the return!
Sponsored