First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It has occurred to me that the device I have on my toilet lids that let them down gently without slamming are in reality a form of tailgate damper!
Got one on mine, love it. No slamming lids in the middle of the night. ?:clap:
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Just released: "Ford Performance is working to miniaturize this for application as aTailgate Damper and step bumper accessory replacement. Expected to be released June 31, 2021. Hand rails lower tailgate while steps take you up and deposit you on bed of truck. Sensors know when you want to go down and reverse movement when activated. John Smith, Ford Marketing Manager, says that this is the greatest accessory achievement since the steering wheel percolator."

1611171087322.png

:like:
Can't wait...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Got one on mine, love it. No slamming lids in the middle of the night. ?:clap:
Yup, I have one but one word of advise, always leave the seat down. If you have to go #1 bad you just have to lift the lid or just aim really good. if it's up and you have to go #2 really bad those extra 10 seconds could be the difference of making it or sharing your draws. :shock::lipssealed:

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Wife and I celebrated our 16th wedding Anniversary tonight...we were to take the Ranger to dinner, but the tailgate damper would not start, so had to take the Lincoln Nautilus....tomorrow will have to investigate the not starting tailgate damper...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retried

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Hi Folks,

Wife and I celebrated our 16th wedding Anniversary tonight...we were to take the Ranger to dinner, but the tailgate damper would not start, so had to take the Lincoln Nautilus....tomorrow will have to investigate the not starting tailgate damper...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried
Happy anniversary, Phil. May God bless and keep you both.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried
Congratulation Mr. &Mrs. Schilke may you celebrate many more.

My wife and I will celebrate our 50th this coming Dec 21st.

Best regards.

Terry

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! serves him right for adding that garbage to the hatch, or, if it's not his vehicle not using a prop rod (like a broomstick handle) to support it. The factory gas struts were not designed to support that added weight, but at least it looks cool when you're stuck in stop and go traffic and dreaming of crossing the finish line @Lemans...lol.
I feel this guy’s pain.

It reminds of when I was a young, rookie sales rep. I had a company car - a P.O.S. K-Car Reliant station wagon - mine was in for service so I had the spare company loaner. I was sorting out my stock/samples in a mall parking lot before a sales call. So, lift the rear hatch, unload the stock, sort it all out, and load it back into the car. The stock was in 40lb cases, so bend, lift, turn, lean in and heave the cases deep into the wagon, behind the front seats - rinse, repeat.

What I didn’t know was that the gas shocks that keep the hatch back elevated were worn out and the hatch was getting lower and lower as I was loading. Eventually, it made it’s way down to forehead height while I was in full heave. BAM! Out cold, on my back, in a parking lot, in the rain, bleeding like a stuck pig after colliding with the latch mechanism!

To this day, I have never trusted a gas strut or damper. Sorry Dave (@AzScorpion) but I come by it honestly.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried
Congratulations Phil! when you have those options, the Nautilus is a great Plan B. Actually, it’s a great Plan A. There is one parked beside the service desk at my Ford Lincoln dealer - nice ride.

I hope you had a great celebration!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retried
Phil, Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! Today is our Anniversary also - 33 years. (For some reason I’ve been saying 33 yrs for the past two years now, but this year it’s true.:crackup:).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yup, I have one but one word of advise, always leave the seat down. If you have to go #1 bad you just have to lift the lid or just aim really good. if it's up and you have to go #2 really bad those extra 10 seconds could be the difference of making it or sharing your draws. :shock::lipssealed:
No worries here, my damped toilet is still much faster than a damped tailgate