First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat on order/'47 Chevy Bus Cpe
Occupation
Retired
I installed a damper last weekend and it works great. Yesterday when lowering the tailgate, there was a squeak when it came down. When I installed it, it was nice temperatures, but since then it has gotten colder doing the night and the truck sits in an unheated garage. Is this normal? Will it go away when the weather gets nice again? Is this a "let it break in" kind of thing? Nothing seems to be rubbing or loose.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
its garbage and the warranty is null and void unless you had it installed by a qualified mechanic.

I would just go without.
your physical fitness and health is way more important.

keep using those arms like god intended and stay strong my friend.
Looking at your pencil arms I'd swear you have 2 dampers. :shock:

Kodiacnb

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Super cab
Occupation
Retired Postal Worker
I installed a damper last weekend and it works great. Yesterday when lowering the tailgate, there was a squeak when it came down. When I installed it, it was nice temperatures, but since then it has gotten colder doing the night and the truck sits in an unheated garage. Is this normal? Will it go away when the weather gets nice again? Is this a "let it break in" kind of thing? Nothing seems to be rubbing or loose.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, as AZScorpion says, It is the bushings. I popped the small clips out and shot some lubricant in and the noise is now gone.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmmm, it started to squeak after the thingamajig was installed. That suggests to me that the thingamajig is causing misalignment that will result in bigger a problem down the road - worn out bushing. Warranty? Hah, no way - “all the mods”. Before anyone suggests two thingamajigs to even things out, it will only result it both sides putting excess pressure on the bushings - both will wear out.

Abandon this project and toss the thingamajig before it becomes catastrophic - if you haven’t received your free t-shirt, it’s still not too late.

Last edited:

OP
OP

RetiredNotFired

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat on order/'47 Chevy Bus Cpe
Occupation
Retired
It's not the damper it's the bushing on the tailgate mount. Dirt gets trapped in there and it creaks like an old barn door. Just spray some lube in there and it'll be good.
Thanks. As in where the tailgate attaches to the bed/body?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes on the left and right sides you'll see a sleeve where it attaches to the side of the bed. Spray a few shots in there, move it up and down (if you have the strength now lol) and it should go aways.

We have a lot of dust here and when it rains mine will do this. It was most likely the condensation that caused it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes on the left and right sides you'll see a sleeve where it attaches to the side of the bed. Spray a few shots in there, move it up and down (if you have the strength now lol) and it should go aways.

We have a lot of dust here and when it rains mine will do this. It was most likely the condensation that caused it.
IMG_5416.jpeg

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Paul, try this stuff. It works much better than WD-40 and lasts a lot longer too.

IMG_5417.jpg
Thanks for the tip Dave, I have a can of this to lube the garage door...

Garage Door Lube (2).jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks for the tip Dave, I have a can of this to lube the garage door...

Garage Door Lube (2).jpg
With all the dust we have here this stuff seems to really work the best. I also use it to lube the window tracks in my house as the slides tend to stick from all the dust.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
With all the dust we have here this stuff seems to really work the best. I also use it to lube the window tracks in my house as the slides tend to stick from all the dust.
We have a lot of blowing dust too. Blaster will probably drip less and stick better with the silicone base than WD-40.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
its garbage and the warranty is null and void unless you had it installed by a qualified mechanic.

I would just go without.
your physical fitness and health is way more important.

keep using those arms like god intended and stay strong my friend.
My son is a heavy duty mechanic. He said he wouldn’t install it unless it was painted yellow and had hydraulic lines leading to it.

I put it on myself and now that squeak you speak of sounds like somebody slowly letting the air out of a balloon.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

If the atrophy is too severe, have a neighbor to spray it in... :crackup:
Sponsored