Tailgate Damper……cons?

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Ok so I know the tailgate damper is extremely popular but for me it’s take it or leave it I guess. I’ve not been in situation where I couldn’t just lower it by hand so it doesn’t slam. But hey it’s only like $40 so why not right? Before I get one I’d like to know if there’s anything any of you don’t like about it.
Sponsored

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
You'll get a lot of responses Drew. Dampers are kind of like politics or religion around here. There's a divide among the haters and the lovers of the tailgate damper ? For me personally, I installed one but love to read the banter.

Edit to add, Subquark (David) suffers from the effects of not getting proper exercise he would otherwise get by lifting the tailgate without a damper.

olecranon-jpg.jpg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Guy on right...no damper, a he-man drop and slam using brute strength.
Guy on left...has a damper installed, leading to loss of muscle and manliness.
For info, I have a damper, and resemble the guy on left....:crackup:

Now-its-up-to-you-to-work-your-way-to-the-middle-ground.png

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I don't have a Ranger yet, but my 65 Chevy truck doesn't have a damper, and that tailgate is good ole heavy guage steel.
Never would have even thought of a damper before joining these forums. I have no plans for getting one. And I'm a girly man.

ce1429c8c9becc2ba1e1cae9e73fb5bf71f22eb3.gif

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Oh no, another damper thread! The downsides, nothing really, other than the friendly sh*t the Anti-damper, one true religion here will put on you. :LOL:

Of course should this happen, you can seek solace solace and support from the Very Rev AzScorpion and his congregation of damper heretics.

PS if you do choose the dark side make sure you buy a good quality kit as a few people over here in Aus have found some of the cheaper e-bay kits wanting in fitting ease and durability.

OP
OP
DangerRanger8721

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
You'll get a lot of responses Drew. Dampers are kind of like politics or religion around here. There's a divide among the haters and the lovers of the tailgate damper ? For me personally, I installed one but love to read the banter.

Edit to add, Subquark (David) suffers from the effects of not getting proper exercise he would otherwise get by lifting the tailgate without a damper.

olecranon-jpg.jpg
Well I wasn’t aware there were many haters of it.

OP
OP
DangerRanger8721

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Oh no, another damper thread! The downsides, nothing really, other than the friendly sh*t the Anti-damper, one true religion here will put on you. :LOL:

Of course should this happen, you can seek solace solace and support from the Very Rev AzScorpion and his congregation of damper heretics.

PS if you do choose the dark side make sure you buy a good quality kit as a few people over here in Aus have found some of the cheaper e-bay kits wanting in fitting ease and durability.
Wow the dark side. People dislike it that much?

OP
OP
DangerRanger8721

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I don't have a Ranger yet, but my 65 Chevy truck doesn't have a damper, and that tailgate is good ole heavy guage steel.
Never would have even thought of a damper before joining these forums. I have no plans for getting one. And I'm a girly man.

ce1429c8c9becc2ba1e1cae9e73fb5bf71f22eb3.gif
Same. It never even would’ve crossed my mind if it wasn’t for forums/ facebook groups.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I don't like how it looks like a lopsided add on and unbalanced with it only placed on one side. Some people don't care about aesthetics though and probably never had an old F350 with a 80 pound tailgate that really slams down. Hopefully this doesn't get me banned:lipssealed:.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Wish mine was color-matched to my truck's paint color.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Wow the dark side. People dislike it that much?
On the contrary....split. Many of us, myself included, rise at the first rays of the sun, and bow low toward Arizona where our Damper Dude, AZScorpion, lives.
I do this each and every day, unless rain, snow, or I wake up after the sun has already arisen.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer