Not a Ranger, but dealer pricing games info.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Had to pick my wife's car up from the local dealer today after having a recall completed. I couldn't resist walking around the lot as they had 5 or 6 Broncos out front. No price on any of those! God only knows how badly they plan on raping anyone looking at one. But they also had a black Maverick. Not FX4, but it did have the 2.0L versus the 3 HP Briggs and Stratton with the D cell Duracell wired to it. It had the "current market price" on the window. Ready? $49,900 and change! For a f***ing Maverick! I hate 99% of car dealers.

No, I did not order my truck from these bozos.
wow... i hope who ever is pricing stuff at that dealer is sleeping good. so i can expandafoam all his doors shut.
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
My elderly parents just when through the car buying process to purchase an SUV. Dealers that have SUVs in stock do not charge markup prices. Instead they charge MSRP + $499 window tint + $1995 ceramic coating + $250 floor mats + $500 roof rack, on and on...

You cannot refuse any of the dealer add-ons.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
Decided to casually look for possible trade in deal for something more fuel efficient on long work commute. Used the KBB dealer trade tool to get instant quote. The quote on KBB seemed reasonable. Then the relentless phone calls came in to do a trade or cash offer. After a brief convo with salesman they implied they could be willing to give 2 grand over initial KBB quote depending on overall condition of vehicle. So I finally was hooked and went to dealer. They ultimately offered 2 grand less (not more) than KBB offer with additional $400 detailing fee. Just to note, my Ranger was hand detailed by me 10 minutes prior to presenting to dealer with zero scratches or blemishes or imperfections. Literally as it appeared from brand new. Heck I never even used the bed to haul anything, ever. The undercarriage looked brand new and no dust in the engine bay. The final quote to trade was for $24k. That would mean I would have to give them my 21 Ranger with tow package and pay them an extra $3 grand to get a 19 Toyota Camry with over twice the mileage on the odometer. Needless to say, I kept the Ranger but had a good laugh at their expense. Screw those crooks

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
My elderly parents just when through the car buying process to purchase an SUV. Dealers that have SUVs in stock do not charge markup prices. Instead they charge MSRP + $499 window tint + $1995 ceramic coating + $250 floor mats + $500 roof rack, on and on...

You cannot refuse any of the dealer add-ons.
Sure I can, just don't buy there....

Deleted member 15875

I still think hard times are coming, especially for the car dealers. As sadistic as it may sound, I will enjoy seeing some places shutter.

Of course I’ll pounce once they start cutting their own throats. Lol. Nah, I probably won’t, I just like this Ranger too damn much to go another route.
Bookmark this. In 6 months they'll be begging people to come to their showrooms. It's coming. Every indicator is blinking red.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i had planned to trade in my 5g ahead of the basic warranty running out which will be late 2023. was looking forward to a new ranger tremor or raptor etc. but im keeping it longer. no way id pay over msrp. i guess a ranger will be 65k in 2023 lol. its against my religion to pay over msrp lol. i have a feeling this may screw the pooch on maverick and other econo niche rides. they are very cool when a basic one is in the 20k range. at 50k the maverick is equal to man tits. whats the point of a budget friendly car when its not budget friendly. less will sell. low sales no reason to keep building em. i wish we could get a nation wide boycott going. no one buys a car new or used for one month. force the prices down to where they should be. inventory is only valuable when it sells. but that will not happen. people need transportation so between the govts economy and dealers markup they got us by the curly hairs.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Decided to casually look for possible trade in deal for something more fuel efficient on long work commute. Used the KBB dealer trade tool to get instant quote. The quote on KBB seemed reasonable. Then the relentless phone calls came in to do a trade or cash offer. After a brief convo with salesman they implied they could be willing to give 2 grand over initial KBB quote depending on overall condition of vehicle. So I finally was hooked and went to dealer. They ultimately offered 2 grand less (not more) than KBB offer with additional $400 detailing fee. Just to note, my Ranger was hand detailed by me 10 minutes prior to presenting to dealer with zero scratches or blemishes or imperfections. Literally as it appeared from brand new. Heck I never even used the bed to haul anything, ever. The undercarriage looked brand new and no dust in the engine bay. The final quote to trade was for $24k. That would mean I would have to give them my 21 Ranger with tow package and pay them an extra $3 grand to get a 19 Toyota Camry with over twice the mileage on the odometer. Needless to say, I kept the Ranger but had a good laugh at their expense. Screw those crooks
Harley dealers do this too. my buddy got a call about a year ago with an offer he couldn't refuse until he got to the dealer and they offered about $5000 less without looking at the bike he just rode in on. I'm guessing they think they can hook you once you show up but it probably does the opposite. Our group of friends won't give that dealer a cent of our money anymore. :curse::curse::curse:

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Ask yourself a few questions: Why do you think Ford adopted their new marketing strategy? As in, two separate companies within a company—Electrics and ICEs? And while they were at it, revised the buying process with respect to dealer Market Adjustments?

If you want an example of Market Adjustment idiocy, visit one of the Ford dealers in Albuquerque. How about a $25,000 Market Adjustment on still unsold 2021 Mustang GT500?

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm being honest, I believe businesses should be able to charge what ever they want for a product.

It is upto us, the consumers to not buy if those prices are unreasonable.

Now, do I think it is any different from a gas station raising the price of fuel during a weather event? No. I think selling a 25k truck for 50k should be considered price gouging.

I ordered my truck from the factory, but my subi is limping along. Any day now the gaskets could just decide they're not staying in place any longer. I would have to chose, ~2.5k engine repair on a car that's not worth 2.5k, go careless until my truck arrives, or pay over sticker for an off the lot vehicle (new or used).

Reading some of the Bronco forums, there are dealers that are charging so much over sticker, because they think they can. There will come a reckoning.

The first dealer I reached out to when I tried to order my truck has since closed shop. I'd like to think I contributed to that by not ordering through them, they wouldnt except Xplan and all vehicles were over msrp.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Check out the price of the add ons the dealer I bought my Ranger from wanted. o_O Luckily back in 2019 there were many Rangers on the dealers lots so I was able to get them to take almost all this off.

Performance Package. :LOL:

1669983064193.jpeg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If I'm being honest, I believe businesses should be able to charge what ever they want for a product.

It is upto us, the consumers to not buy if those prices are unreasonable.

Now, do I think it is any different from a gas station raising the price of fuel during a weather event? No. I think selling a 25k truck for 50k should be considered price gouging.

I ordered my truck from the factory, but my subi is limping along. Any day now the gaskets could just decide they're not staying in place any longer. I would have to chose, ~2.5k engine repair on a car that's not worth 2.5k, go careless until my truck arrives, or pay over sticker for an off the lot vehicle (new or used).

Reading some of the Bronco forums, there are dealers that are charging so much over sticker, because they think they can. There will come a reckoning.

The first dealer I reached out to when I tried to order my truck has since closed shop. I'd like to think I contributed to that by not ordering through them, they wouldnt except Xplan and all vehicles were over msrp.
I still see Broncos for sale on Cars.com for $65K+. :facepalm:

You're right it's the fools who keep overpaying for vehicles to blame. The dealers would have no choice but to go back to MSRP if everyone would stop paying these ridiculous prices but some have more money than brains. I know there are some who really NEED and vehicle (accident or such) and have no option but to submit to these crooks. The market has already begun to change with these higher interest rates so I can't wait until all these dealers are now stuck trying to sell these to people who can't afford the higher payment or even get a loan now. Never mind if when we go into a recession next year.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Ben hardy has some nice recent videos on the state of the current market..

They are ~10 minutes each so they're easy to watch...
Ben Hardy skips words while trying to form sentences more than a 10R80 skips gears!!

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I will just never understand some of you folks getting mad over a basic economic principle like Supply and Demand. These are hot vehicles and there are folks who will pay for them.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
They shopped more than a dozen dealerships. I went with them to about half. The other options are to order and wait, which they were not in a position to do, or purchase one that is "in transit" which would be about a three month wait, and then some of the dealers would still "add" their stuff.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Luckily back in 2019 there were many Rangers on the dealers lots so I was able to get them to take almost all this off.
Yes. I purchased my Ranger in April 2020 and I agreed to buy one that was at their "other" dealership about 100 miles away. They brought it down and the "other" dealership had installed tinted windows and bedliner, but I had already agreed to a price and would walk-away if they tried to charge me more.
Sponsored