Dealer Pricing

mgh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew RWD, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, 1964 1/2 Mustang Pace Car, 1998 Mazda B2500
I have been told some interesting things while trying to get pricing while trying to order a new Ranger.

Here is some communication from one dealership. Has anyone experienced this???

"With the new Ranger not being out yet we don't know what the pricing or rebates are going to be so I can't send you an honest offer that I would be able to honor. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and sit down and come up with what your pricing will be once we build it together."

I responded to him saying that other dealers are working on providing me with pricing. The salesman sent me a text and said that no dealer has pricing information and that he is not going to lie to me like other dealers about pricing of the new Ranger.

I asked, "So does that mean that these sites are not valid???"

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/vehicles/pricing.do

https://shop.ford.com/showroom/?gnav=header-all-vehicles#/ranger

"Those sites are correct but they are not the exact pricing because of different charges that go to each state. they are also missing certain things that are necessary to drive a vehicle on the roads. that is a base base price. I would not want to price you something that is not exact. especially sense you are wanting a discounted price on a brand new vehicle. Other dealerships might just want to "get you in" with made up guesses on pricing and then waste a bunch of your time. I chose not to play that game. I am happy to give you a price when I can give you an honest one but I will not play stupid and waste your time."
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Here in central NC dealer ordered Rangers are in and "dealer price" is shown online at 2K off msrp. Just fyi

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I'd stay far away as possible from them if they aren't being up front. Ford has a 750 rebate for pre orders that are placed before the end of the year. I made sure to get everything in writing when I ordred mine. Price locked in. No hidden add ons other than tax, license and doc fees.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
You have the upper hand in that you know how much the invoice price and X Plan price is for the Ranger, and he’s upset he can’t screw you by overcharging you.

I agree with the others, if you can’t get a firm price you should walk.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I have been told some interesting things while trying to get pricing while trying to order a new Ranger.

"With the new Ranger not being out yet we don't know what the pricing or rebates are going to be so I can't send you an honest offer that I would be able to honor. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and sit down and come up with what your pricing will be once we build it together."

I responded to him saying that other dealers are working on providing me with pricing. The salesman sent me a text and said that no dealer has pricing information and that he is not going to lie to me like other dealers about pricing of the new Ranger.

"Those sites are correct but they are not the exact pricing because of different charges that go to each state. they are also missing certain things that are necessary to drive a vehicle on the roads. that is a base base price. I would not want to price you something that is not exact. especially sense you are wanting a discounted price on a brand new vehicle. Other dealerships might just want to "get you in" with made up guesses on pricing and then waste a bunch of your time. I chose not to play that game. I am happy to give you a price when I can give you an honest one but I will not play stupid and waste your time."
He obviously wants to get you in the door so he can pressure you. Probably the kind of dealer that takes your trade-in's keys to appraise it, and then refuses to give them back to you till you get nasty with them. Wonder what he thinks the trucks are missing that are necessary to drive on the road? Wheels? Engine?? You may not want to, but telling us the name of that dealership might help others steer clear.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase

Move on. I agreed on a price a ways under sticker and they ordered the truck. I never stepped foot in the dealer, and there building my truck in a couple of weeks.

If they want your business they'll work for you. But you have to take charge of the situation.

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
He obviously wants to get you in the door so he can pressure you. Probably the kind of dealer that takes your trade-in's keys to appraise it, and then refuses to give them back to you till you get nasty with them. Wonder what he thinks the trucks are missing that are necessary to drive on the road? Wheels? Engine?? You may not want to, but telling us the name of that dealership might help others steer clear.
That's not to far fetched, I had an ex-brother in law that sold cars for a las vegas dealership that used to take the keys and throw them up on to the roof while people were on a test drive saying "we don't know what you did with your keys"

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

Here, I've edited Mr Salesguy's quotes to reflect what he meant rather than what he said:
"With the new Ranger not being [on our lot] yet we don't know what [our marked-up on] pricing [will be] or [what my commissions] are going to be so I can't send you an honest offer that I would be [willing] to honor. I would love the opportunity to earn your business [take the keys for your trade-in] and sit down and come up [with a way to upsell you] with pricing will be once we build it together [and I'm able to pressure you into unwanted options]."

"Those sites are correct
[for scrupulous dealerships] but they are not the [higher] pricing [we want to extract from you] because of different charges that [we're going to add]. they are also missing certain things [such as our surprise fees] that are necessary to drive a vehicle [from our lots] on the roads. that is a [standard] base price [that we don't plan to sell the trucks for]. I would not want to price you something that is not [high enough for my liking]. especially sense you are wanting a discounted price on a brand new vehicle [and I'm not going to sell it at a discount if I think I can sell it to you at a premium]. Other dealerships might just want to "get you in" with [reasonable] pricing and [pass up on the opportunity to mark things up more]. I chose not to play that game. I am happy to give you a price when I can give you a [higher] one but I will not play stupid and waste [my potential commission]."

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
When my son was looking at F-150's he test drove one at a dealership and they pulled this stunt. He was getting somewhat upset, but he is a nice kid - his wife, who is normally very nice got REALLY mad at the salesman (I guess she was actually yelling at him) and they finally returned his keys. Needless to say, he did not buy his truck from that dealer. And, he has told all his friends (and me) NOT to go there. In this day and age, it surprises me there are still dealerships like this. These are tactics from the 80's.
Sponsored