Not a Ranger, but dealer pricing games info.

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I will just never understand some of you folks getting mad over a basic economic principle like Supply and Demand. These are hot vehicles and there are folks who will pay for them.
Getting mad doesn't mean you fail to understand supply and demand. Simple concept. It simply means you are calling out the bullshit of it. Car dealers are their own worst enemies when it comes to their reputations.
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
It seems demand is still outstripping supply even in these harsh economic times. They'll only stop marking up when people stop paying it eh.
That will happen when the banks wise up and only allow loans to MSRP + fair priced tangible dealer addon ($100 for air is not fair) for new car sales. Right now, the banks are being as greedy as the dealer, problem is the bank is fronting a large sum of unsecured money on that and it's only a matter of time before those millions in ADM on auto loans comes to bite those banks in the ass. It's not on the bank or GAP insurance to cover any ADM markups in the event the car/truck is totaled a week into ownership, because I can assure you, your insurance company isn't paying it either. I don't know that the younger generations entering the car market would care about a default on the loan if they were still expected to pay the ADM on a loan if the car was totaled shortly after purchase. If only buyers with that extra cash on hand can buy those cars, the stupidity of it will end pretty quick. Banks need to make it clear on their preapproval checks that manufacture MSRP (plus up to x% or $x over for add-ons) is the limit.

For used, go on KBB price (plus x% for acceptable price variations) or some other that is hard for dealers to manipulate.

There is one case where I can see ADM (or something similar), and that is if it's the last one on the lot, so they would be losing the display/demo car/truck. But that would not apply to a vehicle you special ordered in advance.

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
Check out the price of the add ons the dealer I bought my Ranger from wanted. o_O Luckily back in 2019 there were many Rangers on the dealers lots so I was able to get them to take almost all this off.

Performance Package. :LOL:

1669983064193.jpeg
How again does a dealer install a "factory bed liner"? If it was a factory bed liner, it was already installed... at the factory before arriving at the dealer.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Getting mad doesn't mean you fail to understand supply and demand. Simple concept. It simply means you are calling out the bullshit of it. Car dealers are their own worst enemies when it comes to their reputations.
I get it but this is not the dealers, I mean not really. This is individuals, or "investors" or "flippers" who choose to spend/waist their $$. Do any of us like it when another person has an opinion about how we spend or own hard earned $$? Rhetorical question.

If I had a chunk of Gold for sale with a market value of 10k; and I had 20 folks show up at my house to buy it, I'm selling it to the highest bidder, and getting much more than 10k. One of the folks who shows up has been saving to buy this chunk of gold for years and just now scrapped up the last few dollars. Does he have the "right" to be pissed that it went for more than he could afford?

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
I get it but this is not the dealers, I mean not really. This is individuals, or "investors" or "flippers" who choose to spend/waist their $$. Do any of us like it when another person has an opinion about how we spend or own hard earned $$? Rhetorical question.

If I had a chunk of Gold for sale with a market value of 10k; and I had 20 folks show up at my house to buy it, I'm selling it to the highest bidder, and getting much more than 10k. One of the folks who shows up has been saving to buy this chunk of gold for years and just now scrapped up the last few dollars. Does he have the "right" to be pissed that it went for more than he could afford?
Good point. As others have said, if folks would stop paying it, the bullshit dealer markups would go away.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
That will happen when the banks wise up and only allow loans to MSRP + fair priced tangible dealer addon ($100 for air is not fair) for new car sales. Right now, the banks are being as greedy as the dealer, problem is the bank is fronting a large sum of unsecured money on that and it's only a matter of time before those millions in ADM on auto loans comes to bite those banks in the ass. It's not on the bank or GAP insurance to cover any ADM markups in the event the car/truck is totaled a week into ownership, because I can assure you, your insurance company isn't paying it either. I don't know that the younger generations entering the car market would care about a default on the loan if they were still expected to pay the ADM on a loan if the car was totaled shortly after purchase. If only buyers with that extra cash on hand can buy those cars, the stupidity of it will end pretty quick. Banks need to make it clear on their preapproval checks that manufacture MSRP (plus up to x% or $x over for add-ons) is the limit.

For used, go on KBB price (plus x% for acceptable price variations) or some other that is hard for dealers to manipulate.
Sorry but few banks are going to put themselves in "too much" of a negative equity situation. I dare say most folks who are paying 10-20k over MSRP are putting down large sums in the deal.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
And regarding all this, I still hope manufactures find a way in the US to direct sell to buyers at MSRP. We select the dealer for delivery, the dealer on those ordered is paid to perform a PDI and buyer just picks up the vehicle there. No dealing with the sales team, finance office, etc. Arrive at service where the vehicle's PDI was performed and pick it up.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I haven't seen 5 or 6 Broncos on the road, so the fact that that dealer has so many tells you what kind of pricing they are asking.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Check out the price of the add ons the dealer I bought my Ranger from wanted. o_O Luckily back in 2019 there were many Rangers on the dealers lots so I was able to get them to take almost all this off.

Performance Package. :LOL:

1669983064193.jpeg
What a racket!

I love the nitrogen-filled tires line and since I inflate my own tires, I only and exclusively use a predominantly Nitrogen-based mix - about 78% nitrogen.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
And regarding all this, I still hope manufactures find a way in the US to direct sell to buyers at MSRP. We select the dealer for delivery, the dealer on those ordered is paid to perform a PDI and buyer just picks up the vehicle there. No dealing with the sales team, finance office, etc. Arrive at service where the vehicle's PDI was performed and pick it up.

I'd really rather just go back to normal and be able to haggle many thousands of dollars off msrp lol

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I haven't seen 5 or 6 Broncos on the road, so the fact that that dealer has so many tells you what kind of pricing they are asking.
It's wild how some people don't see them. I see 6 a day in maine lol

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
It's wild how some people don't see them. I see 6 a day in maine lol
Me too. In central Oregon I see a couple a day. I actually saw a Bronco Raptor (new w/ temp plates) yesterday at the local grocery store. I still want a Bronco though, lol, one day...
b.jpg

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
That's funny. Up until very recently I routinely saw more Broncos on the road than Rangers. By a large margin. That said it seems like within the past two months or so the number of Rangers has skyrocketed. :clap:

Except for Tremors. My list of Tremor sightings remains at 2. The one owned by my SIL and one other one I saw in a local parking lot one weekend. I find the lack of Tremors to be a bit odd. But very happy to see more Rangers now. Even saw one blue one recently! About gave myself whiplash. ?

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Yes. I purchased my Ranger in April 2020 and I agreed to buy one that was at their "other" dealership about 100 miles away. They brought it down and the "other" dealership had installed tinted windows and bedliner, but I had already agreed to a price and would walk-away if they tried to charge me more.
Good for you. :like:
Sponsored