First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Unless its a Diesel you wont really find a fuel filter on modern vehicles anymore. Why you ask? Probably due to the fact people are trying to not have to do as much maintenance anymore. If not mistaken this started during the early 2000's.
Sponsored

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Perhaps. But the post I quoted said nothing about time constraints.

It simply said they hate service writers because they sell unnecessary work. That's literally their job.

Work is where you go and do what you're told in exchange for money. Period. Don't like the work or the money, move on down the road.

In all the industries I've worked for the laziest employees are those paid by the hour, add a union in there and the lazyness is turned up to 11. Hell, my current employer is a perfect microchosism. Hourly plant and day drivers that move like the walking dead. And piece rate night drivers that do often times twice as much as their hourly day counterparts and are WELL compensated for it.

Hourly pay promotes the "I get paid hourly" mentality. Where as piececrate promotes the "I get this much $ for this job, I need to be as efficient as possible" mentality."

I'll totally agree about overdelegators. But almost as bad are the ground level guys who say "what does that guy even do, I know I could do it better."

As far as the "figure it out" message is concerned we'll have to agree to disagree.

A company can only provide somebody so many tools. If an employee has been provided all available tools and training, tools and training that work for the vast majority of other employees, at a certain point it's up to them to figure it out.
I have to agree on all of your points here, I’m a design engineer and I have to figure it out for myself. I’ve worked hourly and in a union job, I found that 5% always worked above and beyond while the others would just do the minimal to stay employed while complaining a lot. From my experience those 5% are well rewarded in the long run.

I also agree about being the highest paid janitor anywhere, hey sure it’s their money. ?

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
For sure. Service writers are just salesmen with a different vocabulary.

But why would people get mad at the people providing them work? I see this attitude most in hourly employees. Rather than be happy that they have work, and therefore a job, they bitch about having to do something. Thank God I don't have to deal with this attitude from our ground troops at work.
I am happy moving from managing people to projects. No bitching and moaning.

But no fuel filter seems dumb.

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
It doesnt instill confidence that Ford has incorrect information in the owners manual.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

you can always install one should you choose to, but the service station pumps have filters as well as the one integral with the fuel pump and most vehicle gas tanks are now plastic - which helps to eliminate internal corrosion a metal tank would sometimes experience. Less maintenance for owners and reduced cost for the maker.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
A company can only provide somebody so many tools. If an employee has been provided all available tools and training, tools and training that work for the vast majority of other employees, at a certain point it's up to them to figure it out.
Come work in law enforcement and you'll be amazed. For a lot of agencies you have hard armor and rifles because you get approval to use your personals, not because the agency pays for it. This industry is one of the absolute worst when it comes to providing the bare minimum in everything, including training.

Bare minimum investment breeds bare minimum results.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Fuel filter lasts for the life of the vehicle or life of the fuel pump, whichever comes first.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Vehicles nowadays are made to be thrown away after they've served their 100k miles. Sad but true.

The best of the dudes I manage are just like machines. I feed them some preventative maintenance as scheduled and they perform. The worst are like my teenage daughter.

Come work in law enforcement and you'll be amazed. For a lot of agencies you have hard armor and rifles because you get approval to use your personals, not because the agency pays for it. This industry is one of the absolute worst when it comes to providing the bare minimum in everything, including training.

Bare minimum investment breeds bare minimum results.
I'm certainly a "Jack of all trades, master if none." BTW never forget the second part of that quote.

But I've never worked in Law Enforcement. Everybody I've ever known who has, reported the same conditions. It's concerning at best.

When I found out that my daughter shoots more than many/most LEOs due to lack of department supplied practice ammo I was appalled.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Vehicles nowadays are made to be thrown away after they've served their 100k miles. Sad but true.

The best of the dudes I manage are just like machines. I feed them some preventative maintenance as scheduled and they perform. The worst are like my teenage daughter.

I'm certainly a "Jack of all trades, master if none." BTW never forget the second part of that quote.

But I've never worked in Law Enforcement. Everybody I've ever known who has, reported the same conditions. It's concerning at best.

When I found out that my daughter shoots more than many/most LEOs due to lack of department supplied practice ammo I was appalled.
Heck just borrow some from the IRS…

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The hourly thing works both ways. I worked as an hourly union mail carrier for 25 years. About a third of us felt an obligation to our customers an tried to do the best job we could. About a third did as little as they could get away with but they were either always under the microscope an had to be so careful about time so they didn't get written up it was about as much work as doing the job and a third did the "fair days work for a fair days pay" standard performance standards.

Management would abuse the hourly guys for the first 2-3 years. It takes about 2-3 years to get full career status an full union protection. Until then management can can you for just about anything with no recourse. Carriers would regularly be given 9 to 10 hours of work an told "be done in 8!". If they didn't make it they'd get their @$$ reamed. If you didn't play their game they'd can you or ship you to a shit hole office 2 hours away an try to get you to quit. People treated like this get the attitude about once I'm in full I'm done killing myself an once they are union protected they slow it down to doing just enough to not get in trouble. By the way, if you're getting the wrong mail but your carrier is fast calling in an complaining is a waste of time. Saving hours is how managers get bonuses an promoted.

My brother was a service tech an he was paid "flat rate". What ever the book said the job should take is what he was paid. They didn't care every bolt was rusted in place an half of them broke an you had to deal with fixing it. With the reduction in new cars available to sell I wouldn't be surprised if service writers are asked to sell more services to help the bottom line. They run the risk of selling a long time customer unneeded or optional stuff they really can't afford an want to wait on an they get clued in talking about it later with someone an that customer is lost for good an anyone they can influence to avoid your shop is lost too. If the techs are complaining they're getting too many jobs that's not good but if they feel they're doing unnecessary work sold by the writer they may be on to something.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Page 273 of the Owners Manual...............

"Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime fuel filter that is integrated with the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed."
i wonder if that means that this filter was put in hard to get spot on purpose so owners would have to take it to dealer and pay out the nose for it lol.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Going to have to stop you there. The "be happy you have work" is often not what the real working man is trying to convey. The problem is when the boss-man or equivalent tries to shove what is more or less a square block in a round hole in relation to work load and time available.

The worst kind of bosses are the kind who ove-delegate, aka they are the lazy MFers.

Another dumb trope is the age old "adapt and overcome" or "figure it out". How about no, how about giving the proper tools (which includes time) to do the proper job.
I'm getting a little confused .... when calling somebody "Lazy" or a "MFer"....
Are these compliments or insults by the new "woke" moral standards??
Heck, they may tear up and thank you with a big kiss and a hug!

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
i wonder if that means that this filter was put in hard to get spot on purpose so owners would have to take it to dealer and pay out the nose for it lol.
IMHO I believe its just the design.....no doubt its a booger to have to replace but I don't believe Ford put it there for a financial gain to the dealerships. Then again, Ford and all the manufacturers have been known to make it more difficult for us to work on our own vehicles.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Ha, we had a service writer back in the 90's, he got busted telling customers that the filter was in the tank and it was going to be 3.5 hours to change the filter, he actually sold quite a few before it caught up with him.
Sponsored